Attachment Parenting

Mothering Your Nursing Toddler?

Flame-worthy comments of the day... Just looked at this book on Amazon after seeing it mentioned in an earlier post. The cover is just killing me! Seriously? You had to use THAT picture? You didn't want to find something a bit more hip or current or urban? Aren't there enough stereotypes about extended breastfeeding already? Wow. I am still buying the book. Just had to poke fun at it (and all of us!)
BFP#1 May 17, 2008
Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
BFP #2 September 25, 2008
Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP #3 February 6, 2011
First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011

Re: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler?

• I had to go look.. Nice...
  • I know...

It is an old book, definitely 80's.  Good book, but yes, the pictures are awful.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • To be fair, I think the last time it was updated was 2000 - and I remember pretty clearly that my aunt, who was pregnant in 1999 and subsequently nursed two toddlers in the following several years, wore things exactly like that.  In fact, I think she had one maternity jumper and 4 different colored shirts that she could put under it.

Maternity fashion has come a long way since then, but I must complain that nursing fashion has not.  I think I'm one very small step above the cover of that book most days (I can't justify spending money on nice nursing clothes since I don't have to dress up for work...).

Anyway, I agree the cover (and all the pictures inside, actually) are completely outdated.  *sigh*

• LOL. You guys are so sweet! You make me feel mean! But seriously those pics are terrible. Makes me want to go shopping and schedule a haircut and eyebrow wax ASAP!
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • LOL - I was seriously expecting MUCH worse.  I look so haggard myself most days (and my toddler's not even nursing) - I can't even laugh at the mom on the cover.  Sad

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• LOL i had to go look it up too. The jumper is certainly 80's-90's.

I wasn't too impressed by the reviews though- sounds like it is pretty anti-working /breastfeeding mom.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemakclair:

LOL i had to go look it up too. The jumper is certainly 80's-90's.

I wasn't too impressed by the reviews though- sounds like it is pretty anti-working /breastfeeding mom.

Yeah, that made me sad as well.  I was all gung-ho to order it, but it sounds like it would just make me angry.  Boo!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLotte134:
    imagemakclair:

LOL i had to go look it up too. The jumper is certainly 80's-90's.

Yeah, that made me sad as well.  I was all gung-ho to order it, but it sounds like it would just make me angry.  Boo!

Yes, there are parts that are this way.  I just ignore them.  Still worth reading.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ehhh... A friend gave me an old hardback edition of the Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy and the First Year, wherein all the pics were late 80's/early 90's. I spent half of my pregnancy giggling at how lame the moms looked, but honestly most of them are more put together than me these days! Denim overall dress, here I come!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"