Adoption

New Here and with question

Hello all! i am new here and wanted to get your input on this, I have a 3 year old and I also always wanted to adopt , something my husband and I always had in our heart.  So last  month I contacted someone in regards of foster to adopt, they sent me the paperwork to fill out so we could get started on the classes etc.  We also had been TTC , well I found out I was preg, last week. We have our first appt. for info about getting certified at the end  of Jan.   I'm feeling a little confused on whether we should keep our meeting and move on with the certification on if I should put it on hold until the new baby reaches at least 1 years old.  I still would like to adopt, but I also feel that during the baby's first year it might not be the best idea, and I don't want to get certified and then just put it on hold.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Re: New Here and with question

• Your best bet is to be upfront with the people you're working with and see what their policies are. Some will let you continue, others will want you to wait.

Good luck.

• I agree with Dr. Loretta. It is best to be perfectly honest and that way you will know exactly what their policies are. With regards to thinking that your new baby's first year not being the right time, that is ultimately a decision that you and your DH have to think about seriously and then make the best choice for your family. GL with whatever you decide and congratulations on your pregnancy!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Few things come to mind...

- You should always be honest and upfront! I don't recommend hiding the pregnancy whatsoever.

- What does your DH feel about fostering while being pregnant?  Because i imagine that could sway you guys either way.

As far as my insights go...I've seen women who are pregnant who still foster, and I've seen other couples wait. I think this really depends on you two as a couple and how much you can handle as a family. 

Also, just pointing this out, I know that they say the process should take 4 months but ours took 8 months, and it was another two months before we had our first placement....I know others who have gone through the certification process to be foster parents that have been 1-1.5 years long because of the "system" and how slow things move, or background checks get held up, or classes aren't offered at convenient times. So with all that said, it may be until after your little one is born before you are even halfway through the process let alone fostering!

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"