Baby Names
Options

Need advice.. can we still use this name?..long

About a year before ttc we started talking baby names.  We almost immediately agreed on John Robert.  John is hugely popular on both sides of our families.  My dad's middle name, 3 of my uncles, and some cousins,  dh's 2 uncles, cousin, and middle names all over.  So John is perfect.  Robert is dh's late granfather's name as well as uncle and cousin's name plus SIL's middle name is Robert(they live in the south so mens names are used for girl's mn's).  Obviously ther are too many John's to call him John so we planned on calling him Jack. 

We'll 6 months ago before getting KU my cousin had a boy and named him John Robert and they are calling him Jack.  They had no idea that was our fav name.  Our last names are different but, I don't want to name our baby exactly the same thing.   Well the problem is we can't come up with anything else that even comes close to John Robert, for us.  I keep comparing every name to the one I really want to use and I feel really bummed about it.  Some family members are saying who cares just use it and now I'm thinking about it but, I'm hesitant.  My mom actually spoke to that cousin and his wife about it, which I did not ask her to do, and they said that we should just use it.  I guess they could have just been being nice though, I wasn't there. 

So I know I'm over thinking this but, what do you all think.  Should we find a new name or use our fav even though my cousin used the same name?  

TIA            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Need advice.. can we still use this name?..long

• Options
    I wouldnt use it, but thats just me
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how often you see them, but I probably wouldn't use it just because I'd want my child to have his own unique name.  That being said, it sounds like variations of the name are already really popular in your families so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't either, but it's your choice.  I missed this in your post... is your cousin calling their baby Jack?  If that's the case, then I REALLY wouldn't.
  • Options

Were you planning to call your son Jack also? If not I would still use at least one of the names and maybe a variation (Jonathan Robert for example?) of the other. You could also use it and call your son J.R. We will prob use initials for our LO, we love that. GL that is a tough one! Since it took us a long time to get a sticky pregnancy a few names I like were "taken" also...

• Options
    Re-read your post...they took Jack too...I would see if you like other combos or names with the J.R initials.
  • Options
    "Obviously ther are too many John's to call him John so we planned on calling him Jack. 

We'll 6 months ago before getting KU my cousin had a boy and named him John Robert and they are calling him Jack." 

• Options
    J.R. or initials in general NMS.  Plus we are team green so maybe we won't  need to worry about it, our girl name is all settled.
  • Options

If you love, love, love the name, I don't think there's anything wrong with using it

Personally, I wouldn't. For several reasons: the first being that the family is already flooded with John's and Roberts. That seems to be a positive rather than a negative for you, so that wouldn't really apply. The second being that when you announce your name it might be a little anti-climatic, even confusing to some people. Not enough of an issue for me to say you shouldn't go there, but enough that it would make me seriously rethink. Especially if you plan on using the exact same nickname. It might be a bit of a head scratcher

• Options

Do you see them very much?  Do you live close at all?

I had two customers that were cousins and had the EXACT. SAME. NAME.  They were close in age too.  We were always confusing one of their acct's with the other and it was a hassle.  

If you don't live close/see them much, then maybe go ahead and use the name.

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    I would go ahead and use the name you and DH love.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They live in Seattle so we only see them about 1-2 times a year but, our family is close and I see my aunt and her daughter(cousin's mom and sister) all the time.  I'm leaning towards no more now.   I was totally opposed a few days ago but, needed the final nail in the coffin after family input.
  • Options
    I wouldn't use it.  My cousin ended up using my girl name, so we had to rethink that, but I wouldn't use it AT ALL.
  • Options
    Oh dh just said no go, which he never told me before.  Okay settled.  Thanks for all your honest input.    
  • Options
    I don't think cousins should have the same name, but second cousins are a different scenario. Personally, I never see my cousins, and we have different tastes in baby names anyway. BUT, if they used a name that we were planning on using, I would still feel justified in using it. I'm probably going to avoid names of their children that have been around for awhile, but I wouldn't worry about it in your case.
  • Options

I wouldn't. if you read my "am I wrong" post you'll see that I am in a kinda similar situation (even though Im not KU yet lol)

I wouldnt use the same name, but its your kid and name him what you want.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMoesten:
    I would go ahead and use the name you and DH love.  

this

• Options
    Every single boy on my moms side of the family is named Tommy... so I dont see a big deal :)
  • Options

imagerobinsokj:
    I wouldnt use it, but thats just me

Me too. 

• Options
    I personally wouldn't use it.  I would try to find something else.
  • Options

Honestly, both those names are really common. No wonder you have a lot in your family - John was the most popular boys name for about 80 years in the US. Its not like you had a really unusual name and they happened to use it. Because of that, I think this could go either way, but I personally wouldn't do it.

My dad and grandfather were named John, and I've considered naming my son Ian, which is the Scottish version of the name (I'm part Scottish). Maybe you could do something like that? 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    imagemsmerymac:

Honestly, both those names are really common. No wonder you have a lot in your family - John was the most popular boys name for about 80 years in the US. Its not like you had a really unusual name and they happened to use it. Because of that, I think this could go either way, but I personally wouldn't do it.

My dad and grandfather were named John, and I've considered naming my son Ian, which is the Scottish version of the name (I'm part Scottish). Maybe you could do something like that? 

I REALLY like this idea! Ian Robert sounds awesome!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"