1st Trimester
Options

PG mom's of Toddlers, How much tv?

I used to be pretty good about limiting tv to 30min/day.  Since becoming PG, DS watches at least 2 hours+/day.  I'm just so exhausted and nauseous that snuggling with him on the couch is all I can do at times.  It's been too cold to go outside and his story time and playgroup are on winter break.

I'm telling myself that things will get better in a few weeks once I (hopefully) feel better and we get back into a routine.  I just feel like a horrible mom and wife with DS parked in front of the tv and a messy house.  Is this totally normal or am I being a major wimp? 

Re: PG mom's of Toddlers, How much tv?

• Options
    I am in the same boat.  I used to let Ds watch 2 Nick Jr shows per day.  He is now watching about 4.  I am just tired and he plays/watches while I rest on the couch.  New Christmas toys have helped some.  He has kept busy playing or we have been reading all of his new books.  The weather is keeping us inside too. 
  • Options

You do what you can to cope. My DS has NEVER taken naps, so tv has been his babysitter many times, unfortunately. But what else could I do?

So, no, you are not a bad mother. ; ) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unless she's sick, no tv for DD *cries*.  I can't even get her to sit still while I cut her nails, much less for a whole show.  And believe me, I've tried.  Usually I lie down on her bedroom floor while she plays with her toys and uses me as her own personal jungle gym.  When did your LO's start watching tv??
  • Options

imageKimW:
    Unless she's sick, no tv for DD *cries*.  I can't even get her to sit still while I cut her nails, much less for a whole show.  And believe me, I've tried.  Usually I lie down on her bedroom floor while she plays with her toys and uses me as her own personal jungle gym.  When did your LO's start watching tv??

He really didn't get into it until about three months ago.  He couldn't sit for a whole show, just like your DD.  I finally tried a Yo Gabba Gabba DVD and he was hooked.  He's also really into Baby Einstein Animals.  I just type that phrase into you tube, and a ton of videos come up for it. 

• Options

The TV is on way too much since I got pregnant again- probably 2 or so hours a day.  I;m just exhausted, although I've noticed I'm getting some energy back already.  She doesn't sit and watch it (unfortunately) but she likes it on as background noise while I'm sitting on the couch.

I'll be a better mom again in a few weeks. :)  No worries.

• Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it.  It isn't forever!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DD has been watching much more tv than normal lately too. I feel horrible and I don't always have the energy to play with her  like I'd like to.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I try and keep my SS at no more than an hour ay a time. But, sometimes its only broken up by a half hour hahaha. Its exhausting!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't feel bad. I find myself putting Thomas the Train DVD's in more now a days. You just do what you can :-) 
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat... I used to limit 1 30minute show in the morning and 1 in the afternoon... but its getting a lot easier now to turn on the TV and let them play / watch while I rest and get more energy for the rest of the day. ?BUT next week, we're getting rid of cable - even basic cable. ?So I am going to have to figure something out!! ?We have DVDs and I can just put those on - but I think it will also force me to get them outside to play in the backyard, at the park, etc... hopefully it will warm up. ?:)
  • Options
    Lots of TV in this house!  I picked DS up out of his crib today and said, "we're going to have a movie morning in Mommy's bed today."  I flipped on a movie and we laid there for a good 2 hours.  I'm so dang nauseated today...maybe it will pass tomorrow?!  I did get a script for Zofran, so I'm hoping that it helps me out.  It's flippin freezing outside as well, so we're homebound for a while. 
  • Options

My son is older so it's a bit different.  He's very independent so he'll play in the other room by himself a good bit.  I feel guilty, b/c I haven't been able to play with him as much as usual, b/c I am so tired and nauseous.  But he doesn't seem to mind.

He does watch a bit more TV than usual, but it's not too bad. 

You'll get so much more energy in the next few weeks so don't feel too guilty.  And winter is hard, b/c there's not as much to do.  Hang in there!

• Options

I try really hard to not have the TV on while DS is awake.  Of course, DH has been watching all of these bowl games but DS doesn't seem to even take notice.  He has never sat down and watched a children's show.  There's no way that he would sit there even if I let him.

We get him outside at least once a day.  Yeah, it's cold but he loves it.  He comes walking down the hall carrying his snow boots when he's ready to go out:) 

• Options
    My 2 year old has watched quite a bit of tv over Christmas break because I don't have much energy to play with him, especially in the morning. We have snuggled every morning this week while he watched tv and I waited for the queasiness to subside. You just do what you have to to get by. There will be no permanent damage done if your son watches an extra Sesame Street. :) I do make sure all of it is educational. I love the PBS Sprout channel.
  • Options

When I was pg with my second, my oldest had a dr appt.  The ped. of course asked how much TV?  I was honest about how I was feeling and that he was watching WAY too much.  She laughed and said as long as I was aware and it wasn't permanent.  Same thing has happened with my 3rd and now 4th pregnancies. 

As long as you are aware and try to change once you feel better, focus on you and getting rest now!

• Options
    Too much!  The past few days, I feel like the tv is always on!  He doesn't sit and watch all the time but oh well.. I felt a bit guilty at first (until I talked to my other mom friends who said the same thing!!) but you do what ya have to do!
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear that I am not alone. My son is 23 months old and loves watching Disney Playhouse. It's hard to break him away sometimes.
  • Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I feel my son has been watching more tv since I found out I was pregnant.  My pedi said no more than 2 hours a day but laughed when she said that because I had just told her I was pregnant and she was like, "Well, once that baby is here, I'm sure he'll be watching more than that!"  I feel so guilty about it (as I sit here with my feet up and he's watching Thomas The Tank Engine).
  • Options
    we got rid of cable so the kids only watch pbs shows, which i have no problem w/ b/c they're so good!  normally my DD only watches tv in the mornings we don't have something to do outside and then probably for a couple of hrs, but that's not every day so i say it evens out :)  big time tv time will def come when baby gets here just before school starts again!  really, there are worse things we could do w/ our children...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"