Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

need Potty Training help

DS is 2.5 and we're strating the whole potty training thing. Hes a pretty smart kid but is just not making any progress. We've got a kids potty in the bathroom and he'll follow me in and sit on the potty with his clothes on when I do and memick flushing and all.  *note: he has never ever minded being in a dirty diaper, he'd sit in a dirty or wet diaper all day if you let him

We said when we got home from our holiday travels that we would start hardcore training so got big boy underware and have him in just those in a t-shirt. He'll just go pee wherever he is without a second thought. he'll sit on the potty but doesn't do anything ever, just looks at me like "am I doing what you want"

Any help, any tips, anything would be most helpful!

Re: need Potty Training help

• Options
    He's still pretty young. I think that the average age that boys potty train is around 3.5 y/o. Honestly, if he is not getting it at all, I might give it another day or 2 and then maybe put it on the backburner for a few months. I am true believer that when a child is ready to PT that it will just work. With my DD, she was using the potty for months on and off before I decided to train her at 2.5 y/o, and when I did, she got it in literally just a day.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options
    I agree with PP. We just started with DD monday and already she has it down, except for pooping (if anyone has advice on getting them to poop on the potty i would appreciate it..lol). Are you putting him on at certain times or are you waiting for him to tell you and then when he doesnt you put him on?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd wait a couple months and try again.  I hated hearing this when I was potty training my DS and having trouble.  My issue was that my DS really wanted to PT (wanted his underwear, didn't want diapers, could pee on the potty), but now looking back I realize his body wasn't ready yet.  It was like he literally did not even feel or notice when he peed or when he needed to pee.  When we put him on the potty at certain times, he could go no problem, but he could not identify the pee urge by himself.  We had no problem with poop - go figure!  Anyway, I kept plugging through and in hindsight I wish I had just waited longer.  I could keep him dry by putting him on the potty every 2-3 hrs, but I should have just waited until he could initiate on his own.

ETA - DS was 2.5 when we started PT and we never went back to diapers.  But, he was almost 3 before he could reliably tell me on his own when he needed to pee.

• Options
    Is he showing any signs he may be ready to start PT'ing?  If not, you are fighting a losing battle and frustrating the whole family.
  • Options
    Also, if he's not ready, still let him sit on the potty one time a day.  For DD, we had her sit there every night as her bath filled til she started going.  First thing in the a.m. and after nap are common pee pee times.  GL
  • Options

Talk to him about it...a lot! If you notice he's peeing or pooing into his diaper tell him that that's what he's doing. Then talk to him (nicely) about where poo and pee should go. Take him into the bathroom with you when you go and explain to him what you're doing. Even announce to him when you need to go and make it seem urgent. Like, "Uh oh, I really need to pee now...want to follow me and I'll show you? Come here, quick, I don't want to pee in my pants...etc"

DS has pooed and peed once each in the toilet. We're taking it slowly. The way I see it is it's a lot like helping them learn to walk. It doesn't happen over night. It happens in small steps and then one day the light comes on and their like "oh, now I get it. I CAN do this!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"