Parenting
Options

Since we're on the subject: more preschool Q's

1)  Let's say you're not religious but are surrounded by church preschools.  Is it totally bizarre and/or inappropriate to call and ask exactly how religion is incorporated into the preschool day?  I could deal with the occasional prayer-before-snack or whatever, but a whole day of Bible stories and God talk would be a little awkward since it's not really what we believe.  I know some church-affiliated preschools are pretty religious, and others are fairly secular, so I want to find out which are which.

2)  If you decide to visit/tour a preschool, what do they usually do?  Are you able to visit classrooms or just meet with someone in an office, or...?

School me, please.

Re: Since we're on the subject: more preschool Q's

• Options
    My dd goes to a prek-8th grade Catholic School.  The do the prayers and do incorporate God throughout the day but I don't think it is too over the top, if you know what I mean.  They also include things like Halloween, Santa, Easter Bunny whereas other schools don't.
  • Options

It's completely appropriate to find out how much religious curriculum is incorporated and OK to let them know that you are not a member of their church/faith and that you'd prefer most of her education to be secular.

As for what happens when you visit the class. You call them up, let them know you are interested in their school and wonder if there are openings for your daughter. They'll ask you how old she is, when her b-day is and let you know which class is appropriate, when it meets and what the tuition is. Ask to schedule a visit/tour and they'll set one up. They typically like you to visit during the class you are looking to attend and definitely bring Keira. They will want her to join in and get a feel for it and you will want to see how she reacts. You'll be able to tell right away if it's a good fit or not by how she interacts with the teacher and kids and how interested in the environment she is. Stay as long as both of you feel comfortable and get a real feel for how the class is run.

Don't let first impressions sway you, though. I'd suggest doing the tours of the schools you are interested in, narrowing your list to two or three and have her go back a second time to see how she reacts once it's a bit more familiar. Don't let looks be deceiving, either. Some schools might be shinier and more fun *looking* but not be as good a fit as one that's a little more worn-in I want to say? 

Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1.  We have a baptist affiliated preschool that we looked into.  We consider ourselves Christian, but ultimately we were uncomfortable with signing our names to their "statement of faith."  They ask alot of stuff about, what church we go to, where are we in our walk with God, how are you presently involved with your church, how did you receive salvation through Christ. 

It was stuff that I wasn't comfortable with answering, as I don't think that going to a church, what you do at church really defines you.  Also, they had a section about their beliefs and wanted us to sign that we believe those things, too.

Sorry, I kind of went off there=P  I don't think that it's weird to call and ask how they incorporate religion.  I went to Christian my whole school life, and we did prayer, pledge of allegiance to the American flag, Christian flag and Bible.  Had chapel once a week.  I never really felt indoctrinated. 

2.  Sorry, I am not sure what the status quo is there. 

• Options

Ugh, I wrote a long response, but the nest ate it! Anyway, I think it's prefectly fine to call and ask! Also, I'd schedule a time to visit with DD to see if she likes/fits with the school.

DS's school is a Catholic school (we're Catholic) and they pray at the beginning of the day and before snack. They also have a room that's used only for religious teaching that they go to every other week. The school's principal is a nun, so that may be too much religion for you Wink

• Options

We're not religious and DD goes to a church school.

She likes to say "God is 'gate', god good, let us thank him for our food - AMEN (yelling)" all the time which makes me smile. they say it for snacks and lunch at school. Other than that there is no religion in her day right now.

But in the 3yo class they start attending chapel once a day for a half hour I think. I'm ok with that too because I see no harm in learning Bible stories. They are referenced a lot in literature and life in general, plus I don't disagree with the moral of the stories, so I see it as something good to know even if I don't *believe*.

We did tour another school which was much more religious and made me uncomfortable. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a christian fla, let alone a pledge to it. And there's a pledge to the bible?!?! They stood there and said these right after the pledge of allegience. I found it very odd.

- Jena
  • Options
    Call and ask.  The two church preschools I checked out I would have been totally fine sending DS to and neither one of them are our religion...we are Catholic and do not go to church.  If you are Christian you will likely be fine with it but ask.  The one actually went into the chapel and the pastor (a woman which was weird to me as a Catholic but I happened to be there when they did it and it was cool) reads them a small bible story.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

1. It's definitely fine to ask.  They want to make sure you are a good fit as much as you do.

2.  A good school will tell you to by any time for a visit and not make you schedule one, although they may recommend some times that are better.  The school I work at always suggests that people come 15 after classes start and 15 minutes before they end, so the parents can see the classes in action, although we'll give tours any time.   Tours are given by one of the admin, so the assistant director, director, or owner.

At our school we do not go into the classroom, as it is disruptive, although each room has an observation window so you can see what is going on.  If a class is out for recess we may step into their room for a few minutes.  We go over the schedule, talk about curriculum, ratios, teacher's education, and discuss our discipline policy.  We generally walk the parents through the whole school and then show them our playgrounds.  We finish up by asking if they have any additional questions.

I know it can be a hard decision to make, good luck with your search!

• Options
    Thanks, everyone...that helps a LOT!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"