3rd Trimester
Options

Ok I posted this on the dog board, but nothing...

So our three year old poodle had peed in our bed twice in almost two weeks. She has only ever done this once before, a looong time ago. I thought the first time that she did it, it was because she was mad that we built a blockage frame under the bed. But she did it again two days ago while DH was sitting on the floor right by the bed. I really thought it was a behavioral problem, but now I am not so sure. She keeps involuntarily kicking her back legs like spasms. (at least a few times a day) My vet is very charge happy, so i am hesitant to take her there.  (I am not really sure what is going on. Maybe she senses the baby on the way, but I don't think so.) I don't know what to think. What do you suggest? Do you think it is behavioral or not?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ok I posted this on the dog board, but nothing...

• Options
    I have a 5-7 year old toy poodle, and his back legs kick out like that occasionally. I don't think it has any correlation to the peeing since he hasn't peed on the bed. I'm not really sure about the peeing, but it is highly possible that it's behavioral. Poodles can be very temperamental.
  • Options
    Even if it is behavioral, any trainer is going to ask that you have the dog checked out by your vet first to rule out a medical issue. Urinary issues can be extremely serious if they are caused by a medical condition, even though it may cost you a little bit I'd highly recommend getting her into your vet asap. If you are unhappy with your vet find another one to take her to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First thing i'd do is kick her *** ass OUT of the bed! =)

I don't know why she's doing it...but maybe its best to just break the cycle of her being able to do it in the bed in the first place...our dog used to piss in my husband's shoes! hahaha I told him i taught the dog well....

• Options
    I don't have a poodle, but whenever my shih tzu starts to pee in the house, it's either a UTI or bladder stones. The only other symptom I notice around those times is that he'll lick himself after he pees.
  • Options

Your dog likely has a urinary issue going on.  I would take the dog to the vet asap before you really end up getting hosed on the billing.  And, if you really think that you're DVM is charge happy REALLY FIND A NEW ONE!

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'd take her in.  Could be seizures or a urinary problem. 
  • Options

Always rule out medical before behavioral.  A urinary medical issue is nothing to wait on.  Imagine having a UTI and not treating it...ouch!  They can also progress to issue that require more expenses when it could have been treated easily to begin with.

If all results come back normal then you need to start potty training again.  Some dogs will revert back to "puppy" behaviors and will need a refresher in potty training.

Also if you are uncomfortable with the way your vet charges, you need to find a new one.  Your vet should work with you to give you the best quality of care within your budget.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imagembgreenwalt:

Always rule out medical before behavioral.  A urinary medical issue is nothing to wait on.  Imagine having a UTI and not treating it...ouch!  They can also progress to issue that require more expenses when it could have been treated easily to begin with.

If all results come back normal then you need to start potty training again.  Some dogs will revert back to "puppy" behaviors and will need a refresher in potty training.

Also if you are uncomfortable with the way your vet charges, you need to find a new one.  Your vet should work with you to give you the best quality of care within your budget.

exactly this.  Find a new vet - ask for referrals in your area and ask a lot of questions!  I would bet with a medical issue before a behavioral.  Either way, you need to rule out the medical possibilities.   

• Options

We had a pug who had developed urinary incontinence. He ended up having kidney stones. Our vet at the time was prob like yours, charge happy. After 8 weeks and a maxed out credit card, he still had the stone and they wanted us to do a $1200 surgery!

We took advice from a friend and switched vets. $18 and one week later the stones were gone and our pug could pee normally again.

Maybe something as simple as UTI. Did you google it?

• Options

I was lurking, but thought I'd throw in my experience..

My mom has a toy poodle. She's about the same age as your's. Whenever she as accidents in the house it turns out to be a UTI. One sign was the she'd be licking herself a lot down there. I think she was in slight pain and it made her feel better. I'm not sure. I'd take her to the vet if I were you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"