Infertility

Question about FET

(After about a month of injections, I am finally going to trigger tomorrow night, and go in for ER on Sunday morning (my first), and I am very nervous about it.)

I was told 2 days ago by my doctor that they are canceling the ET and going right to freezing all of the embryos. (I have been uncomfortable with what they say is mild ohss for a while now)

What drugs are involved in prepping the body for FET?  Are they going to be any of the drugs that I have taken for IUI's or IVF, or something totally different?  And do they have any bad side effects?

Re: Question about FET

• There are a ton of different ways to do a FET, regardless of which one your RE prefers they are MUCH easier than fresh cycles.  2 examples are:

1) If you have regular cycles and develop a healthy uterine lining, it's possible to do a "natural" FET without meds.  The embryos are placed in your uterus at the appropriate time (so, if your embryos were frozen at 5dpr, they'd be transferred 5dpo).  Obviously, that's the super basic mostly med-less option.  It's also more uncommon.  

2) Most commonly, your RE will bring you in for a baseline around day 3, then start you on estrogen, pills or patches, to help thicken your lining.  Once your lining is thick enough, they'll start you on progesterone for a few days before ET and you'll continue progesterone after ET and thru the 1st part of your pg.  

S/es aren't too bad.  I never had issues with estrogen but progesterone always makes me tired (and sometimes crampy).

GL! 

• I was told earlier this week by one of the nurses that an FET is much easier than a regular cycle of IVF.  She told me I would be taking injections every three days after a round of BCP I think and then injections after the transfer.  I am not sure of the drug names as I have not received these yet.
    Dec '09 IVF #1 = Epic Fail Feb '10 FET #1 = Epic Success!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau
    formula-feeding, co-napping, sposie-using, baby-wearing, ap-ish mamma! Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm just getting started on a medicated FET.  The drugs for me include, BCPs, lupron, delestrogen (one injection every 3 days), heparin, dexamethasone, cipro, PIO and progesterone/E2 suppositories.  There are a couple of E2 level checks and a lining check before the transfer.  It sounds like a lot, but it is SOOOO much easier than a fresh cycle.  In fact, if we have to do another fresh cycle I may opt to freeze everything that makes it to a blast and do a FET a month or so later.

I took all of the above meds, except for delestrogen, for my fresh cycle and didn't have any side effects from them.  So far so good this time.

Good luck to you!

• I am doing #2 of what smeyer said.

I will just be taking estrace, doxcycline, and PIO (and possibly endometrin as well)

I am kinda fighting with the nurses right now.  They want me to wait until CD1 but since my cycles are 60-80 days and I don't ovulate my RE said I can come in for an u/s and b/w and if things look good I will be able to start,so I am going to keep calling and hopefully will talk to someone today about this!

sorry I started venting in this post!  good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebmagsgirl:
    I was told earlier this week by one of the nurses that an FET is much easier than a regular cycle of IVF.  She told me I would be taking injections every three days after a round of BCP I think and then injections after the transfer.  I am not sure of the drug names as I have not received these yet.

I am doing the same - I start w/estrogen injects on the 12th (if my u/s is good), every 3 days and then add in progesterone injects about 1.5 weeks later

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

imageimage
    TTC Since Dec 2006
    *IVF #1 cancelled at ET*
    *IVF #2 OHSS, transfer cancelled*
    *FET #1 2 frosties, c/p*
    *Lap April 2010, removed endometrioma/endo implants*
    *Surprise BFP June 2010*
    *Beautiful daughter born 2/14/11!!*
    Thoughts from an Overwrought Mind
    SAIFW
This discussion has been closed.