Austin Babies

Baby in a smoker's house? Need your opinions.

I'm in need of your opinions/advice.  DH, LO and I are headed to Dallas for the night to spend time with our families, both sides.  It will be our first trip up there with the baby.  We had planned on spending the night with my parents, until I found out that my dad has been smoking in the house again.  When we found that out, we decided it would probably be best to spend the night at DH's sister's house (which is 10 mins. from my parent's), but of course, still go to my parents house for a while to visit tonight.  When I told my mom that we're going to stay at DH's sister's house because my dad's been smoking in the house again, she was very upset.  She said my dad would not smoke in the house when LO is there, which I knew, but from what I have heard it's still not safe to have baby in a place for a long time that has been smoked in.  She didn't understand how it was any different for us to come over for a couple of hours rather than spend the night.  Anyways, now she is very hurt and upset and said that we probably just shouldn't come over at all.  I want them to be able to see LO because they don't get to see him that often, so now I'm sad. 

So am I wrong?  Are DH and I being too anal about not wanting the baby to spend the night in a house that is smoked in a lot, and more than likely will be smoked in it right up until we get there tonight?  Of course, I also don't want the smell of smoke to be on baby and all of his clothes and stuff, but I didn't say that to my mom.  So am I being just an overprotective, first time mom or what?  Let me know your thoughts. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby in a smoker's house? Need your opinions.

• Nope you are being reasonable and practical. Your baby is so young that his lungs are still susceptible to what is around him. He may not smoke in the house while you are there but it is still in the air, furniture, clothing etc. I didn't let anyone that smoked touch DD before they changed their clothes and washed their hands. Sorry my kid my rules. Stick to your guns and stay at SIL's house.
  • imagemisjenn:
    Nope you are being reasonable and practical. Your baby is so young that his lungs are still susceptible to what is around him. He may not smoke in the house while you are there but it is still in the air, furniture, clothing etc. I didn't let anyone that smoked touch DD before they changed their clothes and washed their hands. Sorry my kid my rules. Stick to your guns and stay at SIL's house.

I was going to say the exact same thing... I've read a lot about 3rd hand smoke being just as dangerous to little ones.  Maybe this will encourage him to quit.

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldnt stay in the house either...simply for the fact that all your clothes and things will smell like smoke.  I would stay with sister...mom will get over it once you get there.
  • I'm trying hard to not be anal about this issue myself. My dad & stepmom live across the street, so we generally see them pretty often. My stepmom is a smoker, and she doesn't smoke around baby, but Morris definitely smells like smoke after she holds him or he's been over there. To me, the relationship between Morris & his grandparents is more important to me than the brief smoke exposure...and I try to remind myself that my mom smoked while she was pregnant with us & for many years after we were born.

That's been my solution so far because I just can't think of a way to tell my dad & stepmom that they can't see/hold the baby because of smoking. We'll see how it goes, but it's definitely something that irritates me already.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageACR:

I'm trying hard to not be anal about this issue myself. My dad & stepmom live across the street, so we generally see them pretty often. My stepmom is a smoker, and she doesn't smoke around baby, but Morris definitely smells like smoke after she holds him or he's been over there. To me, the relationship between Morris & his grandparents is more important to me than the brief smoke exposure...and I try to remind myself that my mom smoked while she was pregnant with us & for many years after we were born.

That's been my solution so far because I just can't think of a way to tell my dad & stepmom that they can't see/hold the baby because of smoking. We'll see how it goes, but it's definitely something that irritates me already.

Really just because your parents did stuff while they were pregnant doesn't mean that it was good for you--people smoked, drank and did drugs while pregnant in the 60-70's doesn't mean it didn't affect you or someone else in some way. Especially when studies are now out that counter that argument. Sorry I know it's your choice and all but  your son is still being exposed to the smoke of your family members. If the relationship is important to them then they should stop smoking.

I should add that my grandfather died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life-so this is a sore subject.

• I think that's being a bit overprotective...but I come from a family of smokers.  DH smokes, and I smoked until I got pregnant with Layna.

Smoking inside a house is nasty, but its their house.  If your dad isn't going to smoke in there while you are there, then that's really nice of him and I think you should tell him you appreciate it. 

• imageDallasteacher:

She didn't understand how it was any different for us to come over for a couple of hours rather than spend the night. 

It a huge difference since 2nd hand smoke has been linked to SIDS.  I wouldn't stay the night either.  

I have some family members who smoke too, and I already fear these sorts of problems.  Maybe give her some time to calm down and try talking to her again.  Put the blame on you, that you are a first time mom, and this stuff freaks you out, and that you couldn't live with yourself if something happened to the baby.  Most people find it hard to argue or get offended by "new mom emotions."  Anyway that's my plan to handle it.  That and I plan to ask the pediatrician direct questions about it,  so I can honestly say "my pedi says this..."

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would absolutely NOT stay overnight with a baby in a house where someone smokes.  You're not being too anal- you're being a smart mom.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would not be comfortable with it. His lungs are still developing and you just don't know what the effects might be: asthma, etc. I am so sorry you are in this position. I can't imagine how hard the decision is for you. I hope your mom comes around and decided to be understanding about your decision.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Thanks for your input ladies!  It's so unfortunate that I have to make this decision.  I guess I'm just going to have to stay strong and do what's best for LO.  Hopefully this will give my dad motivation to stop smoking. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrsRosie:

Article on third-hand smoke. 'Nuff said.

You are absolutely not overprotective.

Agreed.

My mom smoked in her house and when my first was born we had to have some difficult discussions about it. She truly doesn't understand it, but recognized that it was affecting her relationship with her grandchildren and made some compromises.  She would not smoke in the house an hour before we got there and would go outside to smoke and then wash her hands while we were there.  All of us still smelled like smoke when we left and we never spent the night.  With a baby as young as yours, you have to be careful about these things and trust your instinct.  My mom had come a long way since the first time we talked about it and no longer smokes in the house at all. 

• Ditto MrsRosie on third hand smoke. Cigarette smoke clings to stuff and then desorbs over time, so, even if someone isn't currently smoking, you are still being exposed to the smoke. And, the longer you are exposed to something, the more exposure you are going to have (duh), so there is a difference between a few hours and spending the night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Everything that I've read is saying that 3rd hand smoke is worse than 2nd hand smoke.  You have every right in the world to not want to expose your DC to that.  If I were you I would find some articles on third hand smoke to pass off to your mom so that she can understand where you are coming from. 
  • imageaustxgrl:
    Everything that I've read is saying that 3rd hand smoke is worse than 2nd hand smoke.  You have every right in the world to not want to expose your DC to that.  If I were you I would find some articles on third hand smoke to pass off to your mom so that she can understand where you are coming from. 

This. If it were me, I also wouldn't let my dad hold him until he'd showered and put on clean clothes. We've had to enforce that rule before and it was very awkward, but it's the best thing for little L.

• imagemlf625:
    I would absolutely NOT stay overnight with a baby in a house where someone smokes.  You're not being too anal- you're being a smart mom.

This! 

• imagelibbyann:

imageaustxgrl:
    Everything that I've read is saying that 3rd hand smoke is worse than 2nd hand smoke.  You have every right in the world to not want to expose your DC to that.  If I were you I would find some articles on third hand smoke to pass off to your mom so that she can understand where you are coming from. 

This. If it were me, I also wouldn't let my dad hold him until he'd showered and put on clean clothes. We've had to enforce that rule before and it was very awkward, but it's the best thing for little L.

We asked two family members to wear a jacket or something over their clothes when they smoke (instructions from our pedi).  Then they take if off when they are done so they can hold DS.  Family member A made a huge stink about it and said it was "over the top" and she "just wouldn't hold him then."  But, when she realized we weren't going to back down, she gave in, followed the pedi's recommendation, and all was fine.  Family member B was super accommodating about the whole thing, and that's just how he is.  Family member A takes us not staying at her house as a personal insult and claims we are being judgmental.  We've tried to explain the effects of third-hand smoke to her, but she's in total denial about how her smoking affects other people.  My point of view is this.  She has every right to smoke in her home if she wants to.  But, we also have every right to protect our child from what we think might be harmful from him.  If she can't accept that, then it's her issue.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I might actually go as far as asking them to meet you somewhere else instead of their house if they smoke inside.  Hard to say though as my dad smokes and I don't have the cojones to make him change his clothes before holding Kate.  Of course, they live in Houston and he's only seen her 4 times.  I would absolutely not stay in their house.  Blame your pedi.
  • You are doing the right thing. I absolutely would not stay overnight. My ILs both smoke and they do not hold DD after they do so. It's their choice- they can smoke or hold her, whichever is more important to them.
  • I'm coming in late, but I'm so sorry you're in this position.  I can empathize:  I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke and I can't stay long in a home in which someone smokes, even if they're not smoking while I'm there.  Even that two-hour visit at your parents' house would be too much for me (severe eye allergy).  I've been in your situation with relatives and friends before, and it can be really awkward.

I hope your visit goes (went?) smoothly, and that your mom and dad can come to understand your position.  And good for you for putting the health of your baby first!  It should be a no-brainer, but those family pressures really can make it hard sometimes. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"