Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

If you exclusively pump...

I am just wondering how you came to this decision?  Did you do it because it just worked best for you and LO or was there a medical reason?  I only ask because latching on for us has been really hard and I am wondering if maybe exclusively pumping is the way to go.

I realize that it must have taken a lot of pumping to build up your supply. Do you still have to pump every 3 hours now?  And how long are you on the pump for? I am also wondering if should I choose to EP if I can still build up my supply at this point.

Thanks so much for any feedback.  I would love to hear about other's experiences with EP. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you exclusively pump...

• Options

after the nicu ds wouldnt latch so i started pumping. after a month of him screaming at the boob i gave up even trying and EPd. it wasnt enough so I had to switch to formula and supplimented with the little bm i did have. Now all of a sudden i tried him at the boob randomly and he ate like a champ !! so im trying to get my supply back. I found it really hard to keep up with pumping once FI went back to work but i know lots of people do it.I pumped every 3 hrs, 20 mins each side and after a month and a half i still only got 3-4 oz every pump. it was juuust enough for his age but it kept decreasing. now i get 2-3oz twice a day.

hope that helps. let me know if u have any q's.

• Options
    We chose to EP because Aubriana preferred the bottle's nipple flow instead of my breast's. Currently I am pumping every 3 hours to try and build my supply. I pump for about 15-20 minutes. You should pump 2-3 minutes after the last drop falls into the bottle. If you have more questions, let me know! I don't mind sharing my experience with EPing!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD latched at the hospital, but stopped when we came home. I started EPing when she was 4 days old.

I pump every 3 hours during the day, the last time at midnight, and then I don't pump until the next morning around 8 am. I don't suggest starting out like that. I only recently stopped pumping in the middle of the night. Most things I have read recommend not dropping a pump until around 12 weeks, but I have a really good supply. I pump about 5-6 oz. during the day and 9-10 oz. first thing in the morning.

EPing wasn't easy at first, but hang in there. It gets much easier!

• Options
    I chose to EP b/c I don't like breastfeeding.  I did not do anything to up my supply.  I just pumped from the get go.  I started with pumping 6 times a day and now do it about 4 times a day.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sadly ds never could get the whole latching thing w/ the boob. I still want him to have breast milk so I pump and he gets it in a bottle.

Even though he won't latch I still try and place him on the boob hoping he'll finally latch.

• Options

We used to EP but now we are almost entirely BF.  Our DS was a NICU baby and after his surgery it took too much energy for him to BF.  I was able to drop some pumps at 1 month and then more at 2.  Now I pump 2 times/day to empty what he doesn't use.  

• Options
    I ep because LO couldn't figure out how to latch. I struggled with this for the first 3weeks or so but she wasn't gaining weight like she should so I bought a pump. So now I pump pretty much every 3hours. Thanks to the pp who suggested that you pump an extra 2/3 minutes after the last drop. I didn't know that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic] Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"