Attachment Parenting
Options

Finger Foods - I need new ideas

Ben is pretty much exclusively self feeding now (with the exception of yogurt), and I feel like I dont have enough finger food varieties.  DH and I eat dinner after he goes to bed, since his work schedule is so wonky.  So I cook for Ben separately, which makes it more of a pain. 

Is there an easier way to do this, or am I stuck making and freezing batches of steamed and cubed veggies/fruits for a while?  He also loves chicken, so I will bake up a chicken breast for him and use that for a few days.  I just feel like he gets no variety though. 

What do you do for your self feeding infant?  I need ideas! 

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Finger Foods - I need new ideas

• Options

My DS is addicted to crackers. Probably not the most nutritious -- but there are days when the ONLY thing he wants are crackers. So he eats those & lots of different kinds of bread in pieces. He LOVES grilled cheese... or just plain cheese cubes. I chop up a lot of fresh fruit for him. Sometimes I'll save leftovers for him that his nanny will give him -- chopped up leftover mac 'n cheese or ravioli..etc. We all have dinner "together" so I've been trying to give him bites of whatever we're having -- last night it was fish & potatoes (and crackers!).

How do you feed him the chicken? It seems like everyone gives their LO's chicken ... but I am SO paranoid about DS chewing well enough... he's 11 months & has 8 teeth & is a great chewer.... and I know he's "over" his purees.... I need to give him more variety too.

• Options
    I just chop the chicken into little pieces and let him have it - he only has 2 bottom teeth (the first top one just started through today!) and he does just fine with it.  We started finger foods at 6 months though, so he has the chewing thing down really well. 
    IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Finger foods website created by a fellow nestie...

https://fingerfoods.wetpaint.com/

• Options

We feed DS whatever we eat for the most part. We also keep various fruits & veggies around for breakfast & lunch, & in the rare cases that we can't share dinner.

DS doesn't have a very good pincer grasp at this point, so we cut everything in shapes where he can hold on end & munch on the other - so about 2 inches long. Mango slices are his new fave, but he also eats broccoli. cauliflower, sweet potato fries or slices, red bell pepper, pear slices, carrots, avocado, pita bread, english muffin - that's all I can think of right now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    On top of the other suggestions DS loves beans especially black beans.  I make a big batch and freeze them in ice cube trays so I can just thaw as many as he'll eat.  Freeze dried fruit (Trader Joe's has a great selection) is also a big hit around our house.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I just bought frozen veggies for DD if it wasn't something we'd eat too so there wasn't much work involved in it.

It's been a while, so I'm not sure I remember the timing of when I offered these foods, but they were all within her first year.

Tofu is the first one that comes to mind. It's still DD's favorite food - plain firm tofu cubed. Cheese, edemame, peas, other meats, noodles, rice (stickier is better, I even put it in a hamburger patty maker type thing to make it clump together and then cut it into chunks.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"