Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Please help... Bf question

I EP when LO was born b/c he was transferred to childrens hospital for pnemonia and was intubated. I was pumping about 6ozs every 3 hrs. Now that we are home I EBF. I've noticed my supply seems to be running low. I've been eating oatmeal, drinking 8+ glasses of water and taking fenugreek pills. LO was eating 4.5 ozs every 3 hrs and anything less than that he fusses. Lately after bfing for 30 min he still acts starving. He's never awake and content. He always acts hungry. I just asked dh to run out to pick up some formula but I'm not sure what kind to try. Any suggestions? I think I'm going to try to EP again to up my supply, while I formula Feed for s few days. I really want to give my LO BM any way I can get it to him( by bottle or breast) any help on what kind of formula to try or other suggestions on ways to increase my supply would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Re: Please help... Bf question

• LO always gets more out of you by BF than when you pump. Giving him a bottle gets it to him faster and he doesn't have to do as much work. BF he has to work harder and it may take him longer. Some babies are just slow nursers. Just keep at it, and pumping after every feeding will up your supply as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesnowbrdchic1:

LO always gets more out of you by BF than when you pump. Giving him a bottle gets it to him faster and he doesn't have to do as much work. BF he has to work harder and it may take him longer. Some babies are just slow nursers. Just keep at it, and pumping after every feeding will up your supply as well.

thank you for your advice. I have been pumping after each feeding for a few days now and I still don't have enough. I'm wondering if he could be used to the instant gratification he was getting from his feeding tube while he was at the hospital and then from bottle feeding him my BM. It makes me feel terrible every time I feed him and he fusses, like I can't feed my own baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesnowbrdchic1:

LO always gets more out of you by BF than when you pump. Giving him a bottle gets it to him faster and he doesn't have to do as much work. BF he has to work harder and it may take him longer. Some babies are just slow nursers. Just keep at it, and pumping after every feeding will up your supply as well.

thank you for your advice. I have been pumping after each feeding for a few days now and I still don't have enough. I'm wondering if he could be used to the instant gratification he was getting from his feeding tube while he was at the hospital and then from bottle feeding him my BM. It makes me feel terrible every time I feed him and he fusses, like I can't feed my own baby.
  • Ditto to the above. Also, keep in mind they grow really fast that first month, so working harder to eat also burns more calories and in turn will make him more hungry.
  • Please don't feel bad - you're doing the best you can! I have really low supply so I feel your pain/guilt about not feeding your baby enough. I wonder if your baby could be going through a growth spurt? I see that your ticker says almost three weeks? You might want to ask your doc about domperidone or reglan - both are supposed to help with your supply. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, as far as formula - we use Enfamil Gentlease - but just because Enfamil Premium Lipil gave her gas. No complaints with the Gentlease - we love it! But good luck with the BFing, I know that's your preference!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imagesnowbrdchic1:

Well are you certain he's still hungry? Some babies just fuss or need suckle time, not necessarily to continue eating. I'd try other options before giving up and using formula. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagesgrl:
    Please don't feel bad - you're doing the best you can! I have really low supply so I feel your pain/guilt about not feeding your baby enough. I wonder if your baby could be going through a growth spurt? I see that your ticker says almost three weeks? You might want to ask your doc about domperidone or reglan - both are supposed to help with your supply. Good luck!
    thank you. He may be going through a growth spurt. I will mention reglan to my dr. I've heard from a few people that it helped them.
  • imagenjeosys:
    imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imagesnowbrdchic1:

Well are you certain he's still hungry? Some babies just fuss or need suckle time, not necessarily to continue eating. I'd try other options before giving up and using formula. Good luck!

about half of the time I can use his soothie to passify him. Last night he was just so starving. He was still rooting so much after bfing him for 30mins. So I tried giving him his passifier then after ten mins of not helping I tried bfing him again. He would latch then pull off over and over so I know there was nothing left.
  • I think it may be an old wives tale, but beer really increases my breast milk suppy, to the point where I get practically engorged.
  • imageCookiecolvina:
    I think it may be an old wives tale, but beer really increases my breast milk suppy, to the point where I get practically engorged.
    haha. I have heard that too. Now that is something I'm willing to give a try. Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"