Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Soothers for EBF babies?

If you EBF your baby...did you introduce a soother?? When? DH is at his wit's end with the crying at times (I personally don't think it's that bad...he just has the patience of a marble - if marbles had patience), and has asked a couple of times if he can just give DS a soother. DS is only 1 week old, and has a great latch, we've had no problems since day 2 (which is only 5 days ago, I realize this)...I'm kind of against the idea of a soother until at the very least 2 weeks, but would like to go for 4 weeks. When did you introduce a soother?? Did LO have nipple confusion?

Re: Soothers for EBF babies?

• One of the nurses at the hospital said "a baby will suck on anything" and not to worry about the pacifier. We tried to hold off, but we were afraid she'd never take it if we didn't do it soon. I think we started around 3 weeks once EBF was going really well.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • We started using one starting day 2. She has had no problems BFing. It's a life saver!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I offered a paci the first week we were home from the hospital.  I actually took one with me to the hospital.  She has never had never any confusion from it and still latches great.
  • Our LO had one in the hospital and has had no problems at all. We are careful not to just shove it in her mouth every time she cries but it really does help her to calm down when she has really bad gas and is crying.
  • Pretty much immediately with DD2. She has a major sucking reflex. Never had nipple confusion or any issues...

We started a bottle with her the 2nd night.. and with DD1 on day 4. Didn't have any issues with either of them with that either :)

If you have a good latch, I wouldn't worry about it. I think that if you notice a problem starting, then get rid of the paci but as long as BF is established, you should be fine.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • We introduced it in the hospital.  I EBF.  Sometimes if he's fussing I'll pop it in while I get my breast out then take him out and he goes straight for the boob.  No confusion at all...
  • We made it to the first night home.   I EBF and no issues here.
  • we were worried about this too and asked our pediatrician at his one week appt if it was okay to use it. He made a valid point...you don't get milk from a paci, so there will never be that confusion! We just started using it yesterday and it has been a lifesaver, especially during diaper changes, he HATES them, and it seems to calm him down.
  • The first week I just used my little finger, after the first week we gave her a paci and used it sparingly.  Now of course I tend to put it in her mouth when she needs a nap and won`t go to sleep on her own.

We`ve never had any nipple confusion.  We use nuks 

• imagesdjaquess:
    I offered a paci the first week we were home from the hospital.  I actually took one with me to the hospital.  She has never had never any confusion from it and still latches great.
      THIS exactly!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

• I gave in at 2 weeks during a 2:30am meltdown.  She will keep it in her mouth maybe 5-10 mins max.  No problem with any confusion.
  • I was terrified of "nipple confusion" I didnt give in and now at 2 months old he wont take one... we have tried 3 different kinds and I'm the only soother he will use which is hard because no one else can give it to him.  If I had my way I would have given him one at the hospital.  GL

P.S. if anyone knows a soother that a breastfed baby will take, let me know

• imagealikins7927:

P.S. if anyone knows a soother that a breastfed baby will take, let me know

Can you maybe try to warm them up under some hot water or something tio make it seem more like you?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"