Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Tubes tied... C-section

DH and I have already decided we only want two kids. No more, ever. I have to have a c-section this time because I had an emergency c-section last time. We were thinking that because I have to have a c-section I might as well get my tubes tied then. Mentioned this to my OB and she said she would like us to think about this more and then if we decide it is what we really want to do then she will do it. We are young is why she hesitated. My question for you ladies is did any of you have your tubes tied when you had LO? Was there extra recovery time? Did they have to put you under or just do it while you are opened up for c-section? I will eventually ask my OB all of this but Im curious now.

Re: Tubes tied... C-section

• i understand her reasons for being hesitant, especially if this is a decision you made while pregnant. tubes being tied is 100% permanent. have you guys considered a vasectomy instead? that can be permanent, but can usually be reversed in case you are unsure in the future. it's also a much more simple procedure. i'm sure you guys looked into all your options though

the mom of the kids i babysat for had a c-section and had her tubes tied while they were in there getting the baby out.  

• I got a tubal during my last c-section and I am so happy that I did.  It took literally 5 more mins in surgery and I had no more pain or extra recovery time than just the c-section.  My doctor waited until the baby was checked over and everything was good and asked me one more time right before she did it.

It is so nice now not having to worry about BC.  If you are 100% sure you don't want anymore children, I highly recommend it. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had my tubes tied w/ my c/s and my doctor did it while I was still opened up.  It only took a few extra minutes and there was no extra recovery time. It was no big deal at all, she just asked me one more time if I was sure. 
  • Yes I understand why she was hesitant also. I'll be 23 when this baby is born and DH will be 28, so that is young. But we both are very sure that we only want two children. We made this decision before getting pregnant this time. I want something permanent so that I dont accidentally get pregnant. We talked about visectomy, but we figured if it was an easy thing for them to just tie my tubes while I was having my c-section then why wait and have DH have to go through the pain of the vesectomy. I was just wondering if it was an easy add-on kind of thing or if it would be more risk/recovery time/painful/ect...
  • Thank you :) It sounds like you ladies had good experiences. Like I said I am going to bring it up again to my OB but I just wanted to ask someone with some real life experiences instead of googling it.

• I would never EVER do that at age 23.  You have no idea what will happen over the next 20 years and that kind of decision is way too permanent for someone your age, IMO.  I would have DH do the vasectomy, or better yet, look into an IUD.
  • I wanted to do it but almost every $%^$ hospital in my town is Catholic and they don't do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"