North Carolina Babies

If you used CDs from day 1, please come in!

So we've decided to go the CD route and I've just started doing my research.  First let me say OH MY GOD there are too many options - I had to make myself a spreadsheet!  I'm excited though and *think* I have an idea of what we want to do, but any input would be super duper appreciated!

We're thinking when he is a NB, we'll do pre-folds with covers most of the time, but also get some sized fitteds to use with the covers if we need an easier change in the middle of the night, etc.  I really like the idea of AIOs or pockets, but I don't want to get sized ones, and I've read the one-size don't typically fit NBs well, especially before the cord stump falls off.  I do want to get some one-size AIOs or pockets for after the NB stage though.  Here are my questions so far:

1) Pre-folds - I'm looking at Green Mountain organic cotton - I'm anticipating a larger baby,  so I'm wondering if I really need the NB size or if I can get away with small - would small be too bulky on a NB?

2)  Fitteds - what are your favorite for a NB?  I think I'll try to get used ones from DiaperSwappers or somewhere - any thoughts?

3) Covers -  are sized covers best, or do one-size work fine on NBs?

4) AIOs vs Pockets - when I first started researching, I figured AIO was the best option, but everyone seems to love pocket diapers, even though it's 2 pieces.  Is that because they dry faster, or are they better for the baby's skin?  Which do you prefer?

Also, did you CD even in the hospital, or wait until you got home?

TIA!!!

Re: If you used CDs from day 1, please come in!

• 1.  I recommend Cottonbabies.com.  I just don't get why there are SO many sizes of Green Mountain.  The infant CB brand worked great for us, and we have the regular size for when DD grew out of the newborns. 

2.  I think everyone would recommend Kissaluv size 0's for NB's.

3.  I'd stick to a newborn-size cover.  I just don't think One-Size covers are the best for tiny little newborns, but after about 10lbs. or so, one-size stuff works fine.

4.  Of all of the diaper choices, AIO's are my least-fave.  They don't absorb as much, and take 3x as long to dry.  My fave is pockets, b/c the liner keeps DD dry, and I can stuff them with whatever I want to help w/ absorbency.

I'd suggest buying a small pack of disposables to use at first.  The hospital gives you free disposables, plus, are you really going to drag 20 CD's to the hospital, store them in a trash bag, and the first thing you do when you get home with the baby is laundry?  Using disposables for the first week helped us - the meconium poop will stain your CD's, plus, it's just SO hectic those first few days, I barely had time to eat, let alone develop a CD washing routine.  Just my $.02.  =)

• Thanks M&M!  Do you stuff your pockets with whatever inserts they come with, or did you purchase separate soakers or doublers?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageiHeartNutella:
    Thanks M&M!  Do you stuff your pockets with whatever inserts they come with, or did you purchase separate soakers or doublers?

I used what they came with (I think microfiber for all of them) until recently.  Around 7 months or so, DD started leaking a little at night, so I added a hemp insert in the pocket (behind the MF one) and that helped.  =)

• I agree with M&M on all counts. ?I just wanted to add that mom's milk boutique has some awesome package deals that come with 12 prefolds, 2 covers & 1 snappi for like $40something. ?I only had 2-3 covers for the NB stage and it was fine. ?Oh and also be sure to tell the nurses at the hospital that you are CDing and ask for some extra disposables. ?They gave us a 2 packs as I recall and it got us through that first week easily. ?I wrote more about my experiences CDing on my blog:?https://mileskiller.blogspot.com/2009/06/cloth-diapering.html

Good luck!?

• Thanks so much Sonya!  Great info and I love that blog post.
  • 1.  I'm no help with pre-folds.  We tried them but didn't like them at all so we stopped using them pretty quickly.

2.  We used Kissaluv Newborn with both girls from the start.

3.  We've used prorap covers for both girls and have been happy with them during the newborn stage (we've been using pockets on DD#1 since she outgrew the fitted).

4.  We have about 6 AIOs and 20 pockets.  I much prefer the pockets to the AIOs.  I like that the pockets wick away the mositure whereas DD stays wet in the AIOs. 

I did not CD in the hospital; I just waited till I got home.  It would have been too much for DH to go home and wash/dry CDs to bring them back for me to use given I only have enough to last 2 day without washing.  My first c/s I was in the hospital for 4 days (this last one only 2 days).  Plus, there is just too much else to worry about/figure out in those first few days that I didn't want to deal with it.  With my c/s, I wasn't able to get out of bed the first 24 hours so I had the nurses helping me to change my girls.  It would have been too much to have them deal with CDs.

We also don't use CDs when we travel given the issues with washing them, transporting around enough to get by, etc.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageiHeartNutella:
    Thanks M&M!  Do you stuff your pockets with whatever inserts they come with, or did you purchase separate soakers or doublers?

I used the microfiber inserts for the first few months with DD#1 but she was a heavy wetter so I switched to hemp inserts when she started leaking.  I use ones from Artsy Foo Foo on etsy and have had no leak issues (other than when I had residue issues and had to strip my CDs).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks Racey!  Yeah definitely seems to make sense to wait and start once you're home. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"