3rd Trimester
Options

Birth Story - Early baby

The birth of my first baby.

Tuesday night I wokr up around 2am to go to the bathroom - nothing out of the ordinary.  I went back to bed, getting my pillows situated and finally plopped down. Then it felt like a bubble popped and GUSH! The bed was SOAKED.  I had just gone to the bathroom, so I felt it and it was slippery. I panicked. I was only 36.5 weeks. I waited about 5-10 min to tell DH b/c I was mentally freaking out.

After I told him, I called the doctor who told me to go to the hospital. DH had a bag packed with clothes in it for practice (he is a coach) so we threw some things in for me and grabbed the baby bag, which was already packed.

We arrived at the hospital at 3am and I was put into a room and evaluated - 3cm and tested positive for amniotic fluid. I began taking antibiotics for GBS immediately. I decided I didn't need an epi right away, though I had always planned on one. Contractions became quite painful and close together, so I asked for the epidural around 4am. The anestesiologist (sp) was involved with a C-section, so I had to wait. YIKES. Painful.... Epidural at 5:15am. Relief, but it didn't fully work on both sides. Internal check.... 4cm ... Not enough progression, so they started pitocin  Eventually we called the nurse in to check the epi and he dosed me with more medication and sat the bed up so the medicine could spread to both sides. It worked!!!! Around 8am I was at 8cm and told that my doctor had to do an emergency surgery, so I was to wait as long as I could before being checked again. The doctor was done with surgery around 11:30, so I was checked. 10CM!!!! Yay. She arrived and we began pushing at 12pm. Baby Evan was born at 12:19pm, 6lb. 3oz and 19 inches long. Hardly any tearing and I didn't even poo (hehehe.) I was told that if his head weren't coming out slightly crooked, I wouldn't have been able to hold him in that long. Consequently he got a nice bruise on his head.

He had some low blood sugar, so he was given some formula in a cup, Breastfeeding was difficult at first, but he is really getting the hang of it.  He has to go "tanning" due to him being early, big bruise on his head, trouble feeding at first. He should be able to come home tomorrow. I have been discharged but am allowed to stay to feed him every three hours. I can't wait to get out of here but want him to be totally healthy.   I am off to get him now!!!! I wish everyone luck and a short(ish) labor like mine.

I can't figure out pics, but if I do I will post them !!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Birth Story - Early baby

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"