Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nipple Shield Issues (please help!)

I was given a nipple shield in the hospital by the lactation consultant because I have extremely flat nipples. Now 2 home healthcare nurses have told me I need to get off the nipple shield as soon as possible.

What are your opinions on this? Even after I pump before I feed, my nipples still don't stick out very far and DS doesn't want to latch at all. He perfers the nipple shield so I don't see the problem. He feeds like a champ, what do you think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nipple Shield Issues (please help!)

• I have been using one for about 2 months now, we have the same issues that you have, LO has such a hard time latching without it and gets so worked up when we try to nurse without it.  I don't see the harm in using it as long as LO is gaining weight.  I get LO weighed every couple weeks to make sure that she is gaining weight properly.
  • I use one due to flat nipples. In my opinion, I would rather nurse with a shield than give it up completely. Maybe that is wrong, but it works for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • what's the argument against the shield?

To me, if it's working for you and your LO is gaining properly/eating well, then I'd stick with what's working.

• I was given one as well by my LC.  She said it was ok to use it for a few more weeks and once he got bigger he would most likely latch without it. It definitely helped to get him to latch, but I was afraid that he would get too used to it, so I started alternating between using it and not.  He is finally just now latching without it.  However, there are times when he still gets frantic and the shield helps him get right on.  If it works for you, I say keep using it, but do try and see how he does without it sometimes too.  Good luck!

Have you tried the Lanisoh Latch Assist to help bring your nipple out?  I have that as well.

• I'm wondering what the argument against the shields are too. PP did your LC tell you why she only wanted you to use it for a FEW weeks?
  • imageTheMrsWithTheMostess:
    I'm wondering what the argument against the shields are too. PP did your LC tell you why she only wanted you to use it for a FEW weeks?

My doc said that using a shield for a prolonged period of time can cause a decrease in supply, but we have been using it for a few months now and I haven't noticed any decrease at all. 

• My pedi said in his experience the nipple shield nay-saying is nonsense. We use one and we would not be breastfeeding at all without it. My baby is in the 75th percentile for weight. When I pump in place of a feeding these days I get 10-12 oz... so it's obvs not hurting the supply. I hope to ween off of it eventually because it's a pain to nurse in public and because I end up with milk all over myself from it dripping out the bottom. Other than that, it's a lifesaver!

Bro, but look how many ants are on this trash can...
    Zach Rance 4 President

• imageTheMrsWithTheMostess:
    I'm wondering what the argument against the shields are too. PP did your LC tell you why she only wanted you to use it for a FEW weeks?

She actually said I could use it as long as I wanted and that some women used it for a full 6 months.  She just knew that for me I didn't want him to fully rely on it (one more thing to clean and to also bring with me everywhere), so her thinking was that in a few weeks he might not need it anymore.  I am not sure what the whole argument against them is either, but if you read the pamphlet that comes with it, they even suggest not using it for too long.  Who knows though, it definitely helped my LO gain a lot of his weight back and that is a good thing!

• Not really believing the supply argument since the evidence on here points to LO's gaining and eating like they should be. I also pump and freeze for when I go back to work so I don't think my supply is at risk really.
  • I don't buy into the supply issues reasoning for weaning from the nipple shield.  I successfully breastfed DS using a shield the entire time until he self-weaned at 10  months.  At that point I pumped for another month until I had a big enough stash that DS had bm until he was a little over a year old.  I never once had a single supply issue and DS never had any formula.

Yes, the shield is a PITA, but without it, I would not have been able to nurse at all.  And let me tell you, after just a month of pumping exclusively, I give major props to the EPers and there is NO WAY I could have done that long term.

ETA:  DS gained weight like a champ.  He was born 3 days before my edd weighing 5lbs 12oz and weighed 20lbs 10oz when he hit a year.  

• I had flat nipples too and used it for about 4 weeks.  He's now weened off of using it and I'm not having any problems with him latching on.  I wasn't told by my LC to use it for a limited time.  I say go ahead if it helps him BF.
  • Thank you all so much; I even had DH read everyone's responses b/c I've been so concerned about the nipple shield issue and he's been telling me he sees no problem with it and couldn't understand why the LC and nurses told me to not use it "for very long". It makes me feel so much more confident b/c I want to EBF and if that means I have to use the shield the whole time then I will.

Thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"