Adoption
Options

FSA - paying for BM medical expenses?

I know since we are doing foster to adopt, this may not apply for us..but I thought I would pass this along.  So, it's the end of the year, and if you're like us - the end of the year we always have 25-50 dollars left over in our flexible spending account(for medical stuff).  So in the last few days of the year we go out buying as much "medical" stuff as possible stocking up on aspirin, band-aides, etc because it's a use it or lose it system. 

I had DH print the list this year, and this morning I was going over it...our FSA pays for: medical expenses related to adoption!!!!  I had never realized that! Either that or it's new. Either way, just an interesting tidbit i learned, and wanted to share with you guys :)

Re: FSA - paying for BM medical expenses?

• Options

Interesting! We just switched to DH's FSA account. I'll have to take a look at the paperwork that just came.

• Options
    That's really interesting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

FYI- you probably know this already, but you can get adoption tax credit for your adoption expenses, I think up to $12k or something like that. I read through it briefly recently. Not sure if that applies to foster-adopt, but it probably does!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Interesting.  I didn't know that any FSAs covered that.  Aetna does not -- I happened to be looking at their FSA-eligible list yesterday, and birth mother expenses are specifically excluded. 
  • Options

imageGulfCoaster:
    Interesting.  I didn't know that any FSAs covered that.  Aetna does not -- I happened to be looking at their FSA-eligible list yesterday, and birth mother expenses are specifically excluded. 

OUr plan is on the left hand side... of the link in this list: https://www.wageworks.com/employee/health-care/expenses/fsa.htm

Adoption - medical expenses related to.  

DH's HR worker told him that qualifies for birth mother medical expenses... is she an idiot or  is this a different list than you have?

• Options

imageGulfCoaster:

Most if not all FSA eligible expenses are set by the IRS, not individual insurance companies.  Aetna does cover Adoption related medical expenses.  See here.

ETA:  I'm such a space.  I just realized I read this chart wrong.  Aetna does NOT cover such expenses, just as GulfCoaster posted.  Sorry!!  Here is the list from the IRS.  It does discuss expenses related to an adopted child (although I HATE the wording in the first sentence), but seems vague on birth mother related expenses.

• Options
    I just looked at ours, and it doesn't.  In fact, it explicitly says it does not cover it.  So make sure everyone checks your fine print!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"