Georgia Babies
Options

Babysitting/Nanny rates?

Baer is only 5 weeks old, but as many of you know, is extremely colicky.  Some days are better than others, but DH and I are often on the verge of losing our minds with the constant screaming.  It's heart wrenching to see the little guy in pain. 

We were thinking it might be good for our sanity to hire someone to watch Baer 3-4 hours a day a couple days per week just so that we can get out of the house and take a breather.  I don't go back to work until March, so this is just a temporary solution. 

I don't have many friends in Los Angeles with kids, so it's been hard to compare babysitter/nanny rates here in LA - I figured I'd ask you guys what the going rate is for a sitter or nanny in Atlanta and then I can kind of adjust it based on the fact that the cost of living is higher in Los Angeles.  So, anyone willing to share? The little info I'm getting is that the going rates in LA are anywhere from $12-$25/hr. 

The wife of a friend of mine has offered to keep Baer and I want the rate to be fair for both of us.  I love this woman and totally trust her.  She's college educated, speaks English, drives, and is getting certified in infant CPR.  She knows Baer and knows how fussy he is... I want to make it worth her while to keep him, but I don't want to pay so much that we can't afford to go out and leave him home :)

Any input?

Thanks, ladies! 

Re: Babysitting/Nanny rates?

• Options
    we pay our sitters $12 an hour for one child and $15 for two.  When we had a nanny we paid her $16 an hour for two children, we had a nanny share and split the cost with the other family.  But the lowest estimate we ever got for one child was $12 an hour.
  • Options
    We pay $10 per hour for our babysitter.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can check with my girlfriend who lives in San Fran. She has a nanny and I know it is considerably way more expensive than here in ATL. I want to say something like $18/ hour for one child.
  • Options
    For someone that is educated and that you trust I would pay at least $15 an hour with a minimum of 3-4 hours each time.
  • Options

For my high school student babysitters, I pay $10/hour for both kids when they're in bed asleep and the only thing the sitter has to do is watch the monitors.

For college-age sitters, I pay $12/hour if the kids are sleeping and $15/hour if they aren't.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We pay $15 an hour for one, sleeping or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We only use our full time nanny. She already works 5 days a week for us 930-530 but she has nights available sometimes. email if you want her info. shes cheaper than $15/hr

georgia dot baker at gmail dot com

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We pay $8 per hour and we use C's daycare teacher.  But bless your heart because I know how a colicy baby can drive you to slit your wrist.  I went through this with C and I was literally almost nuts.  I'm glad you and your DH realize you need extra help.  An extra pair of hands will definitely help because it is so HARD hearing a baby cry all day long.  Good luck and remember it will let up soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"