Austin Babies

Why do people think CIO is okay...

...at 1 month old? I've have a friend who asked for advice on when to move her son to his crib (he was born around Thanksgiving) and she has at LEAST 10 replies telling her to just let him cry for 15 or 20 minutes and that he'll learn eventually. I don't agree with Ferber, but I can understand it at 6 months, or perhaps a little earlier than that if the baby is ready...but one month?! That's just cruel.

I left a note educating her otherwise, but whos to think she'll listen to me when 10 other people are telling her opposite!

Re: Why do people think CIO is okay...

• That breaks my heart as well, and I'm pro-CIO at the appropriate age.  But 1 month?  Poor thing is crying because of a need, even if that need is comfort- I can't imagine depriving a 1 month old of anything.  :(

Good for you for leaving a note, I'd go as far as to send her a couple links about how dangerous CIO can be to a baby that young. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemlf625:
    Good for you for leaving a note, I'd go as far as to send her a couple links about how dangerous CIO can be to a baby that young. 

That's a great idea...thanks! Do you know of any good ones off the top of your head?

• Loading the player...
  • imagemlf625:

That breaks my heart as well, and I'm pro-CIO at the appropriate age.  But 1 month?  Poor thing is crying because of a need, even if that need is comfort- I can't imagine depriving a 1 month old of anything.  :(

This exactly! 

• Maybe people leaving the CIO advice don't realize the baby is only a month old?  I would hope that's the case, because who lets a baby that young cry?  Talk about ignorance...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageali-1411:

Maybe people leaving the CIO advice don't realize the baby is only a month old?  I would hope that's the case, because who lets a baby that young cry?  Talk about ignorance...

I'd looove to think that, but two of the comments are from her mom and her older sister. :( Her mom said, "Your dad had to hold me down to let you cry it out, but we did and you turned out just fine! Let that boy cry!"

I found some good articles and sent them to her as well as an article on Ferber so that if she wants to CIO later, she'll have the knowledge and resources to.

• imageMrsRosie:
    I'm assuming this is on FB or something similar?  My response would probably be something along the lines of, "Do you people realize the kid is one month old?  Are you really that cruel to your children?  If so, kindly leave your address here to make my calls to CPS that much easier."

Yeah, it's on FB. I wish I had the cojones to post that ;)

• imageMrsRosie:
    I'm assuming this is on FB or something similar?  My response would probably be something along the lines of, "Do you people realize the kid is one month old?  Are you really that cruel to your children?  If so, kindly leave your address here to make my calls to CPS that much easier."

I heart you. 

• And to piggy back, why do they think it's okay to do it without reading the book, and to do it for 45 min the VERY first night!?! At 4 months old? (my SIL).

• I was never able to let my DS cry it out. Not until a year old. I broke my heart to hear him crying. He sleeps just fine now. I just couldn't let him CIO.
  • Ugh, that's AWFUL. I'm pro-Ferber but nothing like that should be done until at least 4 months.  Some people are so selfish in not wanting to do the actual work of being a parent. geez.
  • Whoa. I do CIO w/my kids, but NOT at 1mo old!! That is terrible.
  • We didn't do CIO until Ben was 10 months old. And that was after reading the book and really discussing whether or not we wanted to go ahead with it (for us it worked and the longest he ever cried was 12 minutes. But I think that has more to do with his temperament in general. He's pretty chill...but I digress.)

We had Ben in our room until he was 5.5 months old, for no other reason than we all just slept better that way. We slowly transitioned him to his own room and he did great, but we didn't let him CIO at all.  

I can't even fathom letting a 1 month old (4 weeks!!!) CIO.  That's terrible! Crying

• imagebrads_diva:
    Ugh, that's AWFUL. I'm pro-Ferber but nothing like that should be done until at least 4 months.  Some people are so selfish in not wanting to do the actual work of being a parent. geez.

Exactly!! I can totally understand parental exhaustion but at 4 weeks old no way dude. When you have a baby, you kind of sign up for waking up every 2-3 hours for at least 2 months! At least that was my understanding. And that's coming from a momma who got 2 hours sleep last night and a 45 minute nap this afternoon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • CIO worked brilliantly for us at 8 months old (worked in 20 minutes, the first night we tried it!), but she obviously hasn't read Ferber's book--this is not a technique for a newborn (and at 1 month, that would still qualify as a newborn). That's just a lazy parent.
  • I sent her a message on FB with links to articles I found and explained myself further...I just got her response and feel SO much better. Still angry at the people who said CIO at 1 month old was okay in the first place, but glad she's not going to do it!

"Thanks Libby! I don't have the heart to let him cry it out... As soon as his cry changes from a fuss to a panic I feel like the worst parent in the world to have let it get that bad. Even if it's just for his pacifier...(I know everyone says that a pacifier is lazy parenting but I swear there are times when he is only crying to get the paci...believe me we tried everything several times before reaching that conclusion) I'm with you, if he's crying...it's cause he needs something."

• I'm glad she has you to reassure her that she's not doing anything wrong by responding to her baby's needs. Sometimes that's what a new mommy needs =)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"