North Carolina Babies

S/O Taking care of DC teeth?

Do you brush/wash DC teeth? I was reading in my Parent's magazine that you should wash your babies teeth (like as soon as they come in) at night with a washcloth and try to use non fluoride toothpaste on the teeth. I don't know how that is possible. Jocelyn has 4 bottom teeth and her 2 canines are in and the 2 front are just under the gum. I haven't done anything. She does get a lot of water from her sippy, and I try to have her drink some before bed. Anyone clean DC teeth?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O Taking care of DC teeth?

• Yes, you should try to clean her teeth at least once a day, and twice a day is best.  When DS was younger, we just used a cloth to try to wipe his teeth down.  I did it at bath time.  He got a tooth brush right before he turned 1, and I let him play with it a lot so he'd get used to it. 

We started brushing his teeth around his first birthday.  Sometimes he's really good about it and sometimes he really fights it.  And sometimes I forget to do it.  But we try to brush his teeth twice a day and we use a tiny dab of the Oral-B training toothpaste.  He got an Elmo toothbrush for Christmas, and it has really helped him to be more excited about brushing his teeth.

• Maddie has recently decided that brushing her teeth is the most fun thing in the world. So right now we do it probably 3-4 times a day (usually 2x with a non flouride kid's toothpaste, other times just with water), b/c she freaks out if she sees her toothbrush and doesn't get to use it.

Obviously I brush hers way more than normal, but I do think you should probably start doing it once they have teeth. Even if she won't open her mouth enough to do a good brushing, she can go ahead and start getting used to the toothbrush.

• Loading the player...
  • Like pp we used to just use a cloth. Now DS has a toothbrush and we brush his teeth in the morning and at night during bath time. We use the kids toothpaste with out fluoride.
  • Oy Vey...Ok, I'll add that to my torture of Jocelyn list. I cannot even get near her mouth w/out her screaming, so we'll see how this goes. I may try a cloth first and then move on to a tooth brush. Only 3 teeth are full out totally where they look like actual teeth, I just saw the two canines yesterday. She seriously won't let me near her mouth. And I thought that magazine article was nuts..shows how much I know.
  • I think we'll do the washcloth route as soon as her STINKING TEETH decide to pop thru (they are being really stubborn - lol!).

She seems interested in my battery brush - she giggles while I use it.  So if she then doesn't like a regular toothbrush, I may get her a kiddie battery one if that'd help her.

• I bought a thing made by Gerber.  It is a little finger toothbrish thing.  Lol.  And it comes with toothpaste.  I do Allie's maybe every other day.  She likes it.  When she sees it, she opens her mouth!  Lol.  The first few times she hated it.

She only has 2 teeth, but I also brush her gums with it.  I was told to start that early, so she gets used to it.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejenhum:

Maddie has recently decided that brushing her teeth is the most fun thing in the world. 

This is J! Every time he sees us brushing he has to brush too. I don't use the training toothpaste as often as I should, usually we just use water. 

• Seriously, I must have missed the memo on this. Now I feel really bad, like her gums are going to rot. Off to Target today to see what I can find. Thanks ladies!
  • I use the same thing as Brown. She's not a fan when she sees it, but once she gets a taste of that paste, she smiles.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• imagecmbrown:

I bought a thing made by Gerber.  It is a little finger toothbrish thing.  Lol.  And it comes with toothpaste.  I do Allie's maybe every other day.  She likes it.  When she sees it, she opens her mouth!  Lol.  The first few times she hated it.

She only has 2 teeth, but I also brush her gums with it.  I was told to start that early, so she gets used to it.

We used this...until he started to try and bite our finer.  Now we just use a regular toothbrush.  I think the training toothpaste helps because it has a good flavor.  My girls also LOVE to brush their teeth and would do it 10 times a day if I'd let them.  Jeremiah just wants to chew on the toothbrush, but we do manage to get them cleaned a little bit. 

• Rosalyn has 7 teeth and I brush them at least once a day and sometimes twice (when we get back on a normal routine, we'll do it at least twice and sometimes more).  I use a non flouride toothpaste.  She LOVES it and gets excited when she sees it.  I also sing the same song to her everytime I do it (I made it up...it's about brushing teeth).  So far, she's a big fan which is nice.

• imageBackthePack:
    imagejenhum:

Maddie has recently decided that brushing her teeth is the most fun thing in the world. 

This is J! Every time he sees us brushing he has to brush too. I don't use the training toothpaste as often as I should, usually we just use water. 

This is Jack too !! I cant brush my teeth without him pointing to the counter to get his brushed...he's really good abotu letting me brush them. Dbert Jack doesnt let me look in his mouth at teeth or anything but the toothpaste is berry flavored so i think that also helps get him excited!!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We wiped Liam's teeth with a washcloth until he was about one, and then switched over to a toddler toothbrush.  We use the Oral B toddler toothpaste, it helps since he likes the taste of it.

Right now we just brush his teeth at bedtime, but we may add a morning brush in soon too.

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"