Attachment Parenting

We could use a new solution to sleeping.

I'm going batty.  The first two months, we were MAJORLY struggling with getting DS to sleep.  About a month in, we decided that co-sleeping would help and it did, but he was still not getting to sleep (for the night) until 2 or 3 AM and then still waking every 2-3 hours.  Around Thanksgiving, he decided 11-12 would be a better bedtime (YAY!). 

I have a love/hate relationship with co-sleeping.  I'm not very comfortable (physically) so I feel like I need a break every now and then and I don't get it.  I also feel like I've been soothing and comforting DS all day and I need more of a break at night that I'm not getting (ultimately, I'm the sole caretaker for 19 hours a day- the other 5, I share the responsibility with DH... sort of). 

DS won't sleep without me- at least, not for very long.  He might fall asleep with DH or someone else, but he won't stay that way for more than 15-30 minutes.  He won't stay asleep in his crib or PnP or rocker.  A VERY few times, he's stayed asleep an hour in his crib or our bed after I've gotten up (I'll just fold laundry in our room so I don't have to disturb him, but I can still get work done)  I feel burned out.  DH has "tried" to get DS to sleep but gives up rather easily.  He says that DS "just wants the boob" which is 100% true!  DS wants to fall asleep with a boob in his mouth and keep it there the whole time he sleeps.  And my boor boobs need a break.  We are moving in 2 weeks and DH wants us to start trying to get DS to sleep in his own room.  And I think I need DS to sleep on his own at least part of the night.  Or naps... or just something to give me a break.  What can DH do to help DS fall asleep and stay asleep? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We could use a new solution to sleeping.

• DS usually prefers that I put him to sleep also and often nurses to sleep.  If I can't get him down within a reasonable amount of time, I hand him to DH and he usually gets him to fall asleep pretty quickly.  When DS wakes during the night and we want to keep him in his crib, DH will go and rock him back to sleep.  He fusses for a few minutes at first but then he usually goes down.  We co-sleep part time for the later half of the night, usually 1-2am and later (he goes down at 8-9pm).  I like our arrangement because DH and I get to have time to ourselves while DS sleeps in his crib for the 1st half of the night and I still get some relatively good sleep when he joins us later.  Maybe you can try part time co-sleeping?
  • imageMamiJam:
    DS usually prefers that I put him to sleep also and often nurses to sleep.  If I can't get him down within a reasonable amount of time, I hand him to DH and he usually gets him to fall asleep pretty quickly.  When DS wakes during the night and we want to keep him in his crib, DH will go and rock him back to sleep.  He fusses for a few minutes at first but then he usually goes down.  We co-sleep part time for the later half of the night, usually 1-2am and later (he goes down at 8-9pm).  I like our arrangement because DH and I get to have time to ourselves while DS sleeps in his crib for the 1st half of the night and I still get some relatively good sleep when he joins us later.  Maybe you can try part time co-sleeping?

That would be ideal... but HOW?  DS wakes up and fusses if he's not attached to me.

• Loading the player...
  • You may want to check out NCSS. We haven't used it for co-sleeping but we had really good luck with cutting down on visits to the all night milk bar. 

Some of this may just come with time too. I tried to get DS to sleep in his co-sleeper for months & it didn't work. Finally he started being able to sleep next to me instead of on me. I waited another week & started transitioning him then. We've been pretty successful except for the last week or so since his reflux is in full effect again. All sleep is sh!t right now, but that's a different story. 

• imageSWBs Wifey:

imageMamiJam:
    DS usually prefers that I put him to sleep also and often nurses to sleep.  If I can't get him down within a reasonable amount of time, I hand him to DH and he usually gets him to fall asleep pretty quickly.  When DS wakes during the night and we want to keep him in his crib, DH will go and rock him back to sleep.  He fusses for a few minutes at first but then he usually goes down.  We co-sleep part time for the later half of the night, usually 1-2am and later (he goes down at 8-9pm).  I like our arrangement because DH and I get to have time to ourselves while DS sleeps in his crib for the 1st half of the night and I still get some relatively good sleep when he joins us later.  Maybe you can try part time co-sleeping?

That would be ideal... but HOW?  DS wakes up and fusses if he's not attached to me.

Does he really wake up when you un-latch him?  My DS still nurses to sleep, and sometimes he un-latches himself and sometimes I un-latch him after he's been asleep for 10-15 minutes.  That's when I slip the paci in and transfer him to his crib.  Even if he kind of wakes up when I un-latch him, sucking on the paci usually causes him to close his eyes and fall back to sleep.  Does your DS take a paci at all?

ETA: Have you tried the Pantley Pull-Off?  I haven't but some on this board have used it.

https://www.pregnancy.org/article/when-your-baby-wakes-frequently-feed-pantley-pull

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"