Florida Babies

Moving to FL need recommendations!

Hi Everyone! I'm looking for a few candid recommendations...My husband and I currently live in Michigan and are thinking of moving to central Florida, around the Tampa area. I have family in the New Port Richey area. We are looking for recommendations on nice areas to raise a family including safety of area, public schools or recommendations for private, etc. We are both employable in the healthcare field and I'm sure the economy in Fl is better than Michigan. In other words...If you could move to any area in central florida, where would you move and why? We do not have a family yet, but are going to begin trying this summer. We are looking to spend ~$225,000 on a 3-4 bedroom home. Any recommendations on areas you would recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Moving to FL need recommendations!

• I live in Dunedin (north Pinellas County) and love it here - it's got that wonderful small town feel, yet we're close enough to all the "big" cities too.  The downtown area is great - lots of festivals/fairs for families and adults.  Always something to do - close to the beach, close to Tampa/St. Pete.  I feel very safe here - we just had a baby and own a condo, but when we get to where we can buy a house, it will be in Dunedin.  As far as private schools in Dunedin go, the only one I'm aware of is with one of the Catholic churches (Our Lady of Lourdes).  We plan on sending our LO there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tarpon Springs is also a nice area in Pinellas County.  If you want to try Hillsborough county, DH and I like the Carrolwood and Lutz areas (both are in Tampa). 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecateye:
    Tarpon Springs is also a nice area in Pinellas County.  If you want to try Hillsborough county, DH and I like the Carrolwood and Lutz areas (both are in Tampa). 

Agreed.

DH and I looked in Carrolwood when we checked into buying a home. We ran into some really odd home sellers last year though and decided it just wasn't the right time.

Most of my co-workers lived in Lutz and loved it. It's close enough to major shopping and retail that they didn't feel left out and far enough away that it has a real neighborhood feel. Also, houses are significantly cheaper than they are in the heart of the tampabay area.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We personally like the Brandon area.  It has its own shopping, but is close enough to get to Rays stadium, Bucs stadium, DT Tampa, etc.  I am not a big fan of New Port Richey - it has a cute down town area but crime is bad from what I hear.  Your budget can get you some great buys - check out Riverview area.  The big builders sold a ton of houses there during the boom and alot have gone into foreclosure - most are newer than 5 years old.  Watch out for New Tampa and Trinity area for sink holes.  I have friends that got suckered there and can't get insurance now.

Good luck!

• We live in Riverview. We paid around 200k for a 4bedroom, brand new house. There are a lot of new developments here and offering great deals. Our builder was Lennar-they paid all closing costs and the house was completely upgraded-granite, stainless, etc.

We love this area, there isn't much shopping or dining in the area, but you are only about 25 minutes to downtown and 15 minutes to Brandon. They are also planning on building a new hospital and mall in the future.

TTC#1 with PCOS since 3/2009 2 surgeries to remove dermoid 7 medicaid cycles=BFN 3 IUI's=BFN IVM= BFP Twins- missed m/c @ 9weeks
  • We live in New Port Richey, in a gated community, we have homes here that ranged from $120's-500's.  Just like any city, there are areas within the city which have higher crime rates.  I work within the law enforcement/legal community, so I can give you some pointers on where, in Pasco County, is a good area vs areas to avoid.  If you want, you can email me at dopey4607@aol.com.  I'll give you more info on my neighborhood too.  You can get a HUGE home for what you are looking to spend.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • I thought I'd chime in, we just moved here from Novi, Michigan over the summer and I love it here in Florida.  We moved to Naples, mostly because my husband got a great job offer here. I was able to find a job after a few months, but mostly because this is a touristy area.   I don't really know much about FLorida so far, but just that it's so different down here than from Michigan.  I think whatever city you plan on moving to will be a good decision.  One of the main reasons besides the weather, that we chose to move here was the economy.  You will love it here I'm sure.  Good luck with your choice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"