Attachment Parenting

Back carry fail...

So, I decided to be brave today and attempt a back carry with LO, to see if I could carry her and help DS clean up his room. Managed to get her on my back, but before I could get her tied up, she cried and screamed like she was terrified! I had my hand on her the whole time, and was on the bed, kind of crouched down b/c I was afraid myself of dropping her. I guess maybe I should wait and get some help from DH to hold her and make her feel more secure before trying this on my own. Anyone have any good suggestions for how to do a back carry with a 1mo old?

Re: Back carry fail...

• i am no expert, but i'm fairly certain you're not supposed to do a back carry until LO is much older and has adequate head support all on their own. 4-6 months?
  • imagetommigirle:
    i am no expert, but i'm fairly certain you're not supposed to do a back carry until LO is much older and has adequate head support all on their own. 4-6 months?

This. You're stuck with the front carry for a few more months.

• Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:
    You CAN do a back carry w/a newborn (dep on carrier, obv), but i do think you should get help to make sure there's enough head support. 

yup. what carrier?

• I was going to add that I wouldn't want to be bending a lot doing a back carry with a NB... with a front carry you can support them better when you bend.
  • imagefredalina:
    imagecindy453:

imagefredalina:
    You CAN do a back carry w/a newborn (dep on carrier, obv), but i do think you should get help to make sure there's enough head support. 

yup. what carrier?

Any that has good head support.  Don't most of the SSC's have hoods for head support?  Some mei tais do.  Also a good woven wrap, obviously.

i think the NEED for a back carry is pretty slim most of the time for newborns, but those moments do arise.

I just wanted to be able to get down on the ground w/DS and help him clean up his room- when I have her in a front carry, I just feel like she's not secure enough to crawl about his bedroom. DH worked yesterday, so there wasn't anyone around to help I didn't get very far in this obviously. I was using a woven- I'd read on one of the babywearing sites that you could do a newborn back carry and was following those instructions. Guess we'll put off the back carry for a few more months.

• You can definitely back carry a newborn in a woven wrap - and I'm sure kiddo #2 will be on my back very early on as it will be much easier to chase a toddler with baby on my back!

If you haven't already, check out the forums on thebabywearer.com.  This thread - https://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325104&highlight=straight+leg+high+back+carry - is I think a pretty easy carry to do with a wee baby.  If you have the wrap high around the neck, it should provide support.  Definitely get a spotter until you are comfortable with what you are doing.  If you do something like the back wrap cross carry, you can use one of the crosses to support baby's head.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"