Parenting after a Loss
Options

Please Tell Me I am Not a Bad Mom

So DS has had a bit of jaundice since birth...his level last week was 12.5 and 3 days later was 12.8 and 4 days later (today) was 13.1...well they also ran a TOTAL bilirubin level which I guess is a better indicator of "real" disease and that was within normal limits (0.2) so the doctors are 99% sure this is breastfeeding jaundice...now here is the dilemma...

In order to be 100% sure that is BF jaundice - they gave me 2 options - 1- stop BF for 24 hours - just pump and formula feed, then have a blood draw and if it drops we are sure, and 2 I can just keep getting blood tests every 3 days until it starts to trend down itself.

This was by far my hardest decision yet - but I have decided on Option 2 and the nurse on the phone was SO nice saying "thats what I would do too but I had to tell you both"...He is technically a preemie and doing so well with BF that I don't want to do formula NOW ..and the test is a little heel prick...

Do you think I am awful?? I feel like I am being selfish in a way too because I don't want to give up our really good nursing schedule because of this...

Thanks for listening ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please Tell Me I am Not a Bad Mom

• Options
    I don't think that's horrible. If you've got a good thing going then keep it up. I don't think the heel pricks hurt them at all. DS got his a couple of weeks ago and he didn't even flinch. He only started to fuss when the nurse had to hold on to his leg for so long and he was trying to kick. If they are not too concerned about his health and are okay with you doing this then I would say it's just fine. As a mom you know what is best for your baby.
  • Options
    BM is so important for premies.  It isn't selfish at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not selfish at all! Zachary's was BFing jaundice as well but I still don't produce enough so I pump and give him what I get ( almost nothing) and FF. But if you have a good thing going, stick with it! XO
  • Options
    Giving him BM is the best for him and doing that makes you a great mom!!
  • Options
    I would have done the same thing too.  You're not being selfish at all.
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Options
    You're not being selfish at all.  The heel pricks don't hardly bother them, DS had to have them every couple of days for about a week when he was a newborn and he wouldn't even cry about it.  And coming from another mom of a 35 weeker, if you have a good thing going with BFing, definitely stick with it!!  My DS had a terrible time with BFing early on, so I understand exactly how important that is to you! :)  Good luck, I hope his levels go down soon.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think you made the right decision hon...
  • Options
    I will be the oddball here... I would supplement with formula.  Keep bfing, but also give formula.  You can work on your freezer stash this way AND get rid of the jaundice faster.  Allie had really bad jaundice when she was born.  We supplemented and we had to have the bili blanket at home. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"