North Carolina Babies

Just for fun...

When you were nearing your due date, did you do any "old wives' tales" to get things moving and make the babe come? Did anything work?

Geeked

Re: Just for fun...

• I tried eating pineapple, drinking labor inducing tea, eating spicy food and walking walking walking.  And yeah, it totally worked.  I have a baby now don't I?
  • I tried it ALL (except Castor Oil...couldn't bring myself to do it) & NOTHING worked. Finally induced 5 days past DD & still ended up w/ a CS after many hours of fairly unproductive labor b/c J was big (9lb 6oz) & sunny-side up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope. I went 9 days early and woke up in active labor at 5cm dilated when I got to the hospital 2 hours later. All we did was watch a movie and have popcorn the night before.

ETA: That all really meant nothing because I had a C-Section in the end because she was very high and wouldn't descend. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well i wouldnt say I was trying yet but the Wednesday I went into labor I walked my stepson about a mile to school cuz it was a special walk or ride  your bike to school day so I walked him there and my fil picked me up cuz i couldn't walk anymore cuz i was exhausted! But i did go into labor early that afternoon and had DS the following day at 5pm. he was almost a week early.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I went past my due date, so I was doing everything imaginable to get labor started.  I got DH to massage accupressure points, I bounced on the exercise ball, I ate fresh pineapple, we had sex, I walked a ton, we drove down bumpy roads, you name it, we tried it.

The things that I think helped in the long run were using Evening Primrose Oil, walking, the exercise ball, and sex.  I don't know that any of those things actually helped induce labor or anything, but Nate was really LOW before I went into labor and then after my water broke & I was checked (5 hrs later), I was 4 cm & I think already fully effaced... then when I went back to the birth center I was 8 cm.  I like to think that everything I did helped my body to prepare for labor, but who knows.  I may have progressed the same if I hadn't done anything at all.

• I bounced on my birth ball for 3 weeks, ate two entire fresh pineapples, sex, walking, etc. I was 5 days late. I was in active labor for 6 hours when I got to the hospital and was dilated....ZERO cm. ZERO. So I can't say I think anything worked. haha!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagedbertagni:

Nope. I went 9 days early and woke up in active labor at 5cm dilated when I got to the hospital 2 hours later. All we did was watch a movie and have popcorn the night before.

ETA: That all really meant nothing because I had a C-Section in the end because she was very high and wouldn't descend. 

Pretty much ditto. I went 1 week early after watching a movie & having popcorn. (maybe that did the trick!)

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I tried lots of sex, pineapple, walked around my neighborhood (about 2miles) twice a day, bouncy ball and nothing worked. Then about 5 or 6 days past my due date I started to get really desperate and tried this eggplant recipe someone told me about. In the end nothing worked and he was induced 10 days after his due date. My labor was really easy and short (about 7 hrs) so maybe something helped a little. If I had to do it over, I would leave well enough alone and enjoy the time with DH instead of stressing on how to get him out. How I wish we got do overs sometimes!
  • Walk, walk, walk and more walking (I was 2cm and 75% for 3 weeks though).  The day I went into labor I ate a bunch of spicy salsa at Chubby's Tacos (in the Lake Boone shopping center near Rex) after getting my membranes stripped.  My water broke about 7 hours later... and E was born 1 day before her DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I walked, and walked and walked for about 2 days when I was getting close to my due date. DS came two days early (on my second day of walking like crazy!).
  • Not on purpose... 2 weeks early.  But on March 5 I had mexican for lunch.  Then that night I was going shopping for DH's birthday present (bc his birthday was the next day)... so I had walked all around Target and Marshalls.  And my water broke at 12:30am that night. 

She just knew I wanted her born on DH's birthday.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image7miles:
    I tried eating pineapple, drinking labor inducing tea, eating spicy food and walking walking walking.  And yeah, it totally worked.  I have a baby now don't I?

I did all of this and none of it worked. Smile

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What you need to do is be totally unprepared.  Take things out of the nursery, stop cleanging the house, eat all the food you've frozen, etc.  Then just when you think it will be the worst time to have a baby, voila!

Of course I'm kidding, I have no idea.  I went into labor after finishing painting the nursery.  Maybe it was climbing up and down the ladder, or laying on the floor on my belly to get the trim.  Or maybe it was all the excitement of the football game that evening.  You know, when the Giants (and ELI Manning) won the Championship game 2 years ago?  Wink

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did EVERYTHING, I swear, and nothing.  Well, everything except Castor Oil (gross!)

I actually ate Mexican 4 times in 5 days.  I ate pineapple.  I walked.  Sex.  Etc. 

What worked?  I, at 11pm on Saturday night, NEEDED chocolate cake.  So I baked one.  And ate one piece.  I woke up at 5 or 6am on Easter Sunday in labor.  LOL!

Want me to bake you a cake so you can get your 2009 tax deduction?  =)

• Nothing worked for me.  I never dilated on my own at all.  Turned out that she was sunnyside up anyways!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried having sex, Primrose oil up the vag, spicy food, eggplant, & walking.

I was nowhere near labor when I was induced. 

• The only thing that worked for me was getting an abdominal incision and having that stubborn brat yanked out, 10 days past my due date..hehe. Surprise After being induced and 18 hours on pitocin, I'd only dilated 4 cm.

But I tried it all except the castor oil!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• The night my water broke we had some loving, I put red peppers all over my pizza and then DH hit a few large bumps in the car on the way home from dinner (and yes, it was in that order). My water broke in the car after hitting the bumps and Ashley was born the next day on her due date :)
  • I tried spicy food, walking (a ton) and a birth ball.  Nothing worked.  I was 6 days late with Natalie (planned c/s with Claire).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"