Blended Families

My post that disappeared (BM's games...)

(thanks kyah!) :o)

-->

(fyi...you'll probably be able to make more sense of this post if you know our entire history from 2006 on...and again, this is long and mostly a vent because it feels good to type it out...so whether you read it or not, it just felt good to get it all out :o) ) 

So it's officially been a year since DH has seen his oldest son and 9 months since he's seen the youngest. In that time, we'd gotten threatening calls/emails from BM as well as both of DH's sons. (ages 13 and almost 17)

BM and the boys lamented that the boys are old enough to decide on whether they want to come see DH or not (they llive in out of state from us) and that they HATED coming to see DH and I after their summer trip in 2008. (it was a very fun and hands on trip but BM convinced the boys it was horrible once they returned to her)

Anyway...we had them last Xmas. We were due to have them in the summer and both boys absolutely refused to come. 13yr old said he had football camp and other activities going on and was going to be really upset if he had to come out here. Oldest SS said he was going to get a job (don't think he ever did though) and that he absolutely wold NOT be coming out to see us and that he also had football camp. In March, DH called the boys and said "Look, I'd really love to have you come out for the summer but we need to plan it now because I have to have ample time to take leave" (DH is military and has a very busy summer schedule) He also told them he wasn't going to force them to come if they were that adamant about not coming, but they needed to understand that was their choice and that he DID want them to come stay with us. Both boys still said no. Absolutely don't want to come. DH said "ok, but if that's your answer, you have to understand I can't change my schedule at the last minute if you change your mind on a whim and there isn't advance notice."

The boys said that was fine, they understood, etc. Still didn't want to come and they'd have to be taken kicking and screaming because they wanted to stay put. (but that didn't keep youngest SS from calling July 30th and saying he'd like DH to come get him the NEXT DAY but he also had to be back before Aug 4th for football camp...uhhh hello, McFly...?? Again, BM put him up to it and was coaching him in the background)

Easter was BM's turn this year (in 2009) and DH wrote her the month before and asked to have the boys for even a few days during their Easter Break - she refused and said NO, absolutely not - they had plans and DH wasn't getting them at all. (we saved the email, like we normally do too) Game #1: BM sends DH a text mssg at 6:30pm on that Monday night and says they're 4hrs away from where we live at a resort for vacation and if DH wants to see the boys at all, he can show up there but they're leaving Wed morning to go back home. (right, like DH can just take leave with no notice to drive 4hrs there and 4hrs back the next day. BM knew it wouldn't happen, that's why she offered like that.)

BM got served with a cease and desist in April for her ongoing harrasment, libel and slander of DH - oldest SS called DH's cell and left a voicemail cussing him out and threatening him for it.(saved that mssg) Youngest SS called DH on Father's Day to mouth off and be disrespectful as well (on voicemail so we saved that too) All during this time frame (for about 4yrs now), the same ol, same ol occurs with the boys NEVER returning text messages, voicemails, phone calls or emails from DH.

Thanksgiving comes: it's DH's year. DH was having back surgery the day before Thanksgiving. DH left mssgs for the boys letting them know he would be having back surgery the day before Thanksgiving and I was obviously the one taking care of DH as well as the baby. (BM hasn't attempted contact with DH even ONCE since the cease and desist was served to her.) It's a 6 hr drive one way from our home to BM's...BM refuses to drive to any airports, claiming they're "way too far for her to drive to."(not that we could afford plane tickets right now, because we absolutely can't with almost 2,400/month going out in CS each month) DH let the boys know he would'nt have a way to get them up here to be with us for Thanksgiving unless BM or their SD could drive them. Well, no way in hell that would happen, but BM flew the boys, herself and her H our of state to see other family. (and never told DH per the CO - we didn't know until DH finally got ahold of youngest SS and he said they were already out in the midwest.)

So this year is BM's Christmas and she made it apparent a long time ago that this was HER Christmas - ALL of IT. And my parents made plans to come out here and stay with us for Christmas this year. Youngest SS didn't start talking to DH again until Halloween and oldest SS still won't have anything to do with DH since the April incident. BM refuses to communicate with DH because she doesn't know how to without acting like a total psycho and ever since she got served with a cease and desist, I'm sure she's afraid of violating it and winding up in court.

So Dec. 23rd, we get an email from youngest SS (mind you, he NEVER goes on his email and never checks it or sends emails) and he writes: "Dad I really want to come see you after Christmas and my mom and dad (he calls his SD dad cuz BM says that's their daddy now. gag.) say they'll pay for part of my plane ticket if you pay for the other half, but I need an answer NOW so we can purchase it and then you can pay my mom for half of it. I haven't seen you in a year (which isn't true but whatever) and I want to come out now."

Right. Like we'd be able to afford even HALF of a plane ticket on 24hrs notice over Christmas - oh AND he said he had to be back by Jan 1st or something too. I'm 99.9% sure BM couldn't afford half of a plane ticket either, the way she spends money like water, but she's trying to make DH look like the bad guy and knows he'd say we couldn't PLUS, again - NOT ENOUGH NOTICE! DH is still working during the week - hello!??!

So DH told youngest SS he'd LOVE to see him but there's wasn't enough advance notice and there is NO way we could afford even half of a plane ticket on such short notice and over the holidays at that. DH reminded SS he wanted him to come out this summer and SS said he didn't want to and that DH had wanted them to come for Spring Break and was told no, that they had plans. SS writes back "nah ah!!! you haven't wanted to see me for a year - mom says you can see my anytime you want to and you don't"

DH let SS know he wasn't going to argue with him - the facts were, DH has made time to have them come out, they didn't want to and then BM said they weren't available for Spring Break. End of story. No one wanted to help out for Thanksgiving either. Period. DH then told SS that he'd love to see him for Spring Break this year since it's DH's Easter and he's looking forward to having him then. Of course SS doesn't respond to that at all.

It's just really frustrating because it's a game BM is playing - either the boys don't want to come or they're "unavailable" every time DH wants them or is available and when he isn't available, we get emails or phone calls saying youngest SS wants to fly out or be picked up but it has to be within the next 24hrs AND he has to be back within a few days of that. Then when we can't do it, BM tells the kids it's because DH doesn't want to see them, even though DH explains it to them. We have stuck to the CO - DH has asked for the boys everytime it's been his turn and we have the emails and messages to prove they refuse to come or when BM says "no, you can't have them" so when we're in court in Nov again, she's going to look like an asshat. DH's CO also states that he will not be punished in anyway for NOT having the boys, whether they're refusing to come or whatever the circumstances are.

I wonder what the excuse will be for Easter now. And we just found out we'll be getting stationed even FARTHER away from them come June (like opposite side of the country) and DH told the boys already, but they don't really care.

Lilypie

Our miracle has finally arrived!!

12-26-2009 at 11:44 AM
j+k
Not Ranked
Joined on 06-19-2007
26,320 Points
j+k is not online. Last active: 12-26-2009, 1:50 PMBronze
-->
-->

Until these boys are of age, I wouldn't be giving them any options. I'd flat out say, this is when I get you, this is when you're coming. Period. 

You're giving BM way too much lee-way to manipulate the situation and set your DH and his sons up for so much disappointment.

She's proven herself time and time again. Quit giving her the power.  Go to court if it's not in your CO to have them at designated times and demand that you get them on your time.

It's a little too late for his oldest, but it's not too late for his youngest. If your husband is to have any kind of decent relationship with his boys he needs to enforce his rites as their father.

Pregnancy Ticker 

12-26-2009 at 11:50 AM
SueBear
Not Ranked
Joined on 09-13-2001
Central NJ
28,389 Points
SueBear is not online. Last active: 12-26-2009, 1:50 PMBronze
-->
-->

If your SS goes to football camp, why not arrange for him to attend a camp close to your home?  Have your DH say "you are coming to my house - you do not have the option" - but then sign him up for camp close to you, so you don't have to deal with getting him back and forth.  Instead of giving them the option "do you want to come here or not?" if he gets custody "do you want me to sign you up for camp here or not?  Because you WILL be here from June 30 - August 15, and I can enroll you in camp or not."

DH's kids don't really get a choice.  Its a court order.

Unless Thanksgiving was emergency surgery, it was a bad time for him to elect to have that surgery.  You knew that BM wouldn't help you out.

"I want to be somebody's Gerry."
- P.S. I Love You 

12-26-2009 at 12:12 PM
Serendipit...
Not Ranked
Joined on 09-08-2006
Virginia
16,246 Points
Serendipity07 is online. Last active: 12-26-2009, 2:12 PMBronze
-->
-->

DH didn't "elect" to have the back surgery. he had to have it done and that was the only time they had. DH is being shipped off to a school for the military for a couple months soon and they required that he get that surgery done ASAP. We wouldn't have chosen the day before Thanksgiving for a back surgery anyway. In the military your choices aren't really your own.

It's easy to say "don't give the kids an option to come see DH - make it happen." That's what we used to do actually. When they came to us in the summer of 2008, we had them signed up for sports/activities camps, they volunteered and did a lot of other fun activitiies too, like water parks, amusement parks, etc. What happened? They'd try and "sit out" of their camps because they were "lame", their "friends from back home aren't here and they don't want to make new ones", They would call BM "in secret" every night (or so they thought) and talk about what a HORRIBLE time they were having - that they hated it here, etc. We dealt with harassing emails the whole time from BM, saying we were treating the kids like (and I quote:) "indentured servants" because they had to make their beds each day and set the table at each meal. She would lament on the phone with the boys EVERY DAY - poor them, couldn't wait for them to come home, they'd have MUCH more fun when they returned "home", etc - DH tried to put a stop to all of that, but we couldn't keep them from talking to her the whole time they were there. It's their mom and they'd find a way or a reason to talk to her. We took the phones at night, that still didn't solve the problem. There was crying and temper tantrums about how much they hated it here. (why? because we have rules and morales and don't buy their love with lavish gifts everytime they say "gimme that- I want it!")

After the boys returned home from their summer trip, they made up some of the MOST horrendous lies EVER. That DH and I talked bad about BM the WHOLE time they were there (we don't EVER talk about her with or in front of the kids at all - good OR bad) they said we were "mean to them" they had a "horrible time" and never ever wanted to come again. (they even asked us to go home early that summer and DH wouldn't let them, so the behavior got even worse, regardless of what we did or how we'd talk with them.) And BM jumped rightt on the bandwagon with them - she AND her H were calling us and screaming/threatening, etc over the phone to us, in front of the kids and when DH finally got the boys on the phone, the boys lied to DH and kept it up in front of BM and her H.

After the threats and everything else, why would DH "force" them to come here if they hate it that much??? If we're THAT horrible?? DH and everyone in our families that have witnessed all of this, agreed it's better at their ages, to make it known that they're welcome here ANYTIME with ADVANCE notice so DH can get leave in time and he will attempt to have them everytime the CO says it's his turn, but if they REFUSE to come, we're not going to drive 6hrs to drag them back kicking and screaming, so they can sit here fuming at us and being nasty the whole time. That's no fun for anyone. Counseling you say? Tried it. We're still the bad guys no matter what - we're not cool enough, our gifts aren't good enough, big enough or expensive enough, we have rules, we have morales and manners and they can't run rampant like BM let's them. Ever since 2 households were created and the 2 households move a lot (DH is military and the boys SD is ALSO military) they have gone completely out of control and disrespectful and BM sees nothing wrong with it. She actually encourages it.

Re: My post that disappeared (BM's games...)

• I still think you need to enforce a CO and be firm about these boys visiting on a regular consistent basis.  Regardless of what they say and do once they are in the hands of their mother - they are his sons and he needs to make the time to be with them.  They are not old or mature enough to decide on their own if they are that easily manipulated and brain washed by their mother and your DH has no hope of any kind of adult relationship if he allows this to continue. 

When she calls and emails with the drama, cut her off. Hang up on her. Say, "I'm sorry. Can you call me back when you can talk to us in a more civil tone? Good bye."   Record all conversations. Save all emails. 

Don't play into the drama. They do it because it works.  It's hard. I know. But somehow you and your DH need to get back some control over their visits. 

• I have to say this...Hayden is ADORABLE!!

• Loading the player...
  • I sort of agree with j+k.  When BM calls you and is screaming, do what DH and I do... "When you are going to speak to us like an adult, please call us back" and HANG UP. And you may have to do this multiple times (God knows we do!  haha).  But it will get the point across... and it will show the boys that you guys will not tolerate that kind of behavior.  Its worked wonders for my SD in seeing that... she no longer feels that she can scream and yell and that we will listen.

I don't however agree with enforcing the CO with children that old. Not only will they be miserable, they will make your lives a living hell... and do you really want that negativity and potential violence in your home? We allowed my SD to start making her own choices at the age of 12.  She didnt want to come to visit us. When she did, she would steal/be violent/and just make the environment all around hostile. 

I just hope and pray that the boys will some day realize it... But I think that you need to put Haydens safety and needs ahead of them.  You won't change them. If they were little kids, absolutely - but at teenagers/late teens, no way in hell. 

Good luck Serendipity. 

PS - Hayden is absolutely beautiful.  He has gorgeous eyes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can see why you're frustrated with the situation.. everything seems very no-win at this point.

I don't know your entire backstory--how long has your H been separated from his kids? Has the mom been the CP the entire time?

It sounds to me like at this point, nothing anyone does is the right thing. If your H wants to be with the kids, it's bad timing according to themu/BM. If they say they want to come there, it's bad timing for you/your H.

Pretty much all teenagers are extremely self involved.. the world begins and ends in their heads and within their circle of friends and whatever. I can kind of see how things are hard from their perspective. If they want to do something and are told no, they don't understand the logistics and adult issues. Even if BM is putting them up to things, I'd imagine that it's still a confusing message, kwim?

It's hard to know what the right age is to stop enforcing the CO. For a normal kid, I think 10-12 is old enough to say they do or don't want to do something. But in this case, maybe it allowed for miscommunication between them and their dad? 

In any case, I really feel for you and your H. I can't imagine how frustrating and difficult things are. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would call her bluff one of these time...it's not nice to play games and I understand your husband wants to be upfront with the boys...but sometimes you have to give dishonest people a taste of their own medicine (meaning BM, not SS...as she's the one orchestrating the whole thing and uses the kids as puppets for all her games).

For example, I would NEVER tell the SS (and basically BM...since I'm sure he shows her the emails) that you cannot afford a plane ticket for Christmas for him. I'm sure she just does a happy dance when she sees that, knowing the child support she's getting is really draining you guys. Though it may be true, I wouldn't give her the pleasure of knowing that...it only makes her feel more powerful and like she has your husband "by the b***s".

Instead, if she has your SS request that you guys pay for half the ticket, say ok...go ahead and pay for it and send SS out here. We'd love to have him! You said it yourself...she's not gonna do that anyway and she's banking on you guys to say what you said....we don't have the money and it's a short notice. That way she can say: hey, I offered and they declined....again. That's how she makes herself look good in front of her sons and further alienate your husband from them. Call her bluff. Tell her to send him out. You'd love to have him NOW. If she's not gonna do it, let her explain to her son why she put a stop to it, when she was the one who originally suggested it.

And - if she follows through...then, great....you'll see your SS, your DH will have time to spend with him (although mayble only in the evenings, since he will have to work and it'd be too short of a notice for him to take time off, like you said), but it's better than not seeing his boy at all. And the plane ticket?....Since the BM will pay for it (like she said) and you're suppossed to give a half to her....don't tell her in advance, just agree to it, but pay in installments monthly. She won't be able to do anything about it. You'll send her $20/month until you have your half paid off. Ha!

Be d***s to her, just like she is to you. That's sometimes the only option with people like that.

• I disagree with J+R about the visitation and letting them decide for themselves because I believe that they whine and act the way they do because they know that's all they have to do to get their way. And if I remember correctly, once you had the boys for a few weeks, they came around and actually enjoyed themselves didn't they?   You went to a lot of hard work to keep them entertained, to bond, and to make their summer enjoyable, and there is absolutely no reason why you can't continue to do that. 

They have to know that during such and such at time...that's time with dad. Period. And football camps, and other stuff like that, will have to unfortunately be bypassed or handled in some other way. Football is temporary. Family is forever.   

• Thank you all for your responses - a lot of good info/ideas! I agree and disagree with certain things - but of course that's the beauty of throwing things like this out there and getting feedback, so I do appreciate all of it. This is a consistant convo that DH and I have and hash out in different ways - he does want to do what's right by his kids and do what's right for our household as well (i.e. safety issues with the threats, etc) - it's difficult and frustrating and I know he loves his boys very much.

It's just a really difficult and SAD situation all around. At every turn, it's like damned if we do, damned if we don't, ya know? That's what gets so maddening about all of it.

(and thank you for the compliments on my LO - he is such a great baby and we're having such fun with him and being parents together - so far it has been a wonderful experience in every way!)

• I understand you and your DH are in a really tough position. It's easy for me and others to tell you what to do, but you're living it.  I hope things work out. 

It's just so sad. Yet another ex who has made it their mission in life to make the ex's life miserable out of bitterness...and the children ultimately pay for it.

• That's THE biggest issue, too j+k - BM does not see how all her craziness/unstability/lies/etc negatively impacts the boys on a daily basis. She doesn't care - she denies it, she thinks she is seriously the BEST mom in the entire world and everyone else is the bad guy. She's a martyr in their eyes - if she told them to jump off a cliff, they would. They lie for her and see nothing wrong with it - and she rewards them for it.

BM thinks she's ultimately hurting US by doing this - yes, DH is very hurt at what goes on and the things that he can't have more control of on a daily basis BUT, she won't destroy "our" family (BM would LOVE it if DH and I would divorce and although that has never even been a thought or issue for DH and I at ALL, I think BM thinks if she causes enough drama that it will hurt "us". DH and I are as strong as ever in our relationship and marriage - it's their kids that are suffering from her everyday actions.)

• I agree with hopanka.  I'd call her bluff.  Normally I'm all about paying people right away, but I would pay her back for your half of the ticket over time.  That way if she backs down, then she can explain to SS why he can't go.  Good luck.
    ectopic 03/15/07 @ 9weeks; m/c 9.17.07 @ 6weeks ; m/c 04.02.09 @ 11weeks 1st Round of Clomid - 12/07/09; BFP 01/01/10; nonviable 01/18/10 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • imagelampkins:
    I agree with hopanka.  I'd call her bluff.  Normally I'm all about paying people right away, but I would pay her back for your half of the ticket over time.  That way if she backs down, then she can explain to SS why he can't go.  Good luck.

This.  Or drive and pick him up.  6 hours isn't fun, but it's certainly cheaper than a plane ticket.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I think I would have forked out for the plane ticket.  Not to p!ss BM off, to have a chance of bonding with SS going forward.  I know it sucks BUT he is still a child and it is not his fault your DH has to give BM so much CS.  I know he is rude and unappreciative but he is a product of his environment, one your DH helped create, after all he chose to procreate with the woman.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes and no Phantom - You're right, it's definitely not SS's fault about CS or anything like that. He is still a child, yes.

As far being rude and unappreciative - DH didn't help create that. These kids weren't like that until BM and DH were living quite a distance from one another and their step-dad was in the picture fulltime. These kids did a COMPLETE 180 and all of mine AND DH's attempts at stopping the behavior have been futile. Why? Because they live their daily life with BM and that is what's acceptable at her house and there's no reprucussions - BM let's them be completely out of control and nasty. She thinks it's "cute" and she buys their love with constant, expensive gifts - their life was NOT like that prior to her and DH divorcing.

Yes, DH obviously chose to procreate - but I think we all know we're in very different places in life when we're 19 vs 36yrs old too.

Believe me, if it were as easy as biting our tongue to fork out $1,000 or more for a last minute plane ticket over the Christmas holiday then we would. But A- we're sticking to the CO and it's NOT our Christmas with them, it's BM's and she'd find a way to make an issue about it later on and B- We do NOT have that kind of money to just "fork out" - that's a LOT of money that we were not planning on at the last minute and we have another child who has to be cared for as well. We won't be putting a last minute, unplanned, expensive plane ticket on a credit card either because we wouldn't be able to pay it off right away.

The next time we're due to have my SS's is President's Day weekend and Easter. So we're looking ahead to that now.

(ETA: J&A - DH can't make a 12hr round trip drive like that due to his recent back surgery- I won't be making the drive by myself either because I have the baby and he doesn't need to be in the vehicle 12+hrs and DH can't watch him because he can't lift him yet AND has to be at work on light duty-DH can't take leave on such short notice - we don't get 10 days off like the kids. Again, BM knew it was an impossibility even if money wasn't part of the issue - she knows how the military works and that DH just had back surgery.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"