Adoption
Options

Do you network to find a birth mother?

We're not using an agency at all and are networking to find a birth mother.  We'll give it about a year before going the agency route.  I've heard that many agencies still encourage people to network, so maybe people on here are networking in addition to working with an agency for a match.  I know MrsB2007 successfully found matches through networking, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has experiences or ideas to share as well.

I just can't imaging spending $20,000+ to adopt, so I'm very committed to doing everything I can to network so we can have an affordable adoption.  So far we have created an adoption website, emailed literally everyone we know with a letter and the link to the site, and asked them to pass our info along to others.  My parents included our website url in their Christmas card letter and shared our wish to adopt.  I emailed college health center staff and psychologists, doctor's offices, high school administrators and counselors, and campus ministers.  I've done this in our state as well as in a couple of states with favorable adoption laws (right now just Arkansas and Utah, but I'll do more as time permits).  I emailed adoption attorneys throughout the country to see who will show our profile for free, and about three responded positively.  We had a profile book created and will be mailing a couple to each of these attorneys.  I plan to send a written letter rather than an email to og/gyn offices, as I think that emails to doctors offices are likely to be ignored.

Our state has strict adoption laws, so posting flyers isn't allowed, and we also can't run a classified add.  Does anyone have ideas that we haven't tried yet? 

We are considering running an ad in the paper in states that allow this.  Is anyone doing this?  If so, do you mind sharing how you chose the publication and your experience? 

Re: Do you network to find a birth mother?

• Options

I just wanted to say that I still get leads on situations all the time emailed me to me and I pass them along as I know someone who fits.

It took probably 3-4 months before I heard about my first situation from networking.

• Options
    imageMrsB2007:

I just wanted to say that I still get leads on situations all the time emailed me to me and I pass them along as I know someone who fits.

It took probably 3-4 months before I heard about my first situation from networking.

That's interesting that you still get contacted.  I hope our networking is as successful as yours!!  Do you have my website and password in case you would like to pass our info along?

Did you send any letters through email, or were all of them mailed?  It's easier to send out a mass quantity of emails, but I wonder if mailed letters are more effective.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Go_Dawgs -

I am interested in pursuing the same route you have chosen.  Do you mind sharing your website with me so that I can see how you've done it? 

I have no advice for you - but wish you luck in the process!

TIA!

• Options
    image4510heather:

Go_Dawgs -

I am interested in pursuing the same route you have chosen.  Do you mind sharing your website with me so that I can see how you've done it? 

I have no advice for you - but wish you luck in the process!

TIA!

I sent you a private message!

• Options

We are networking. Right now we are active with 2 attorneys, we have a website, and we have sent written letters to OB's across our state.

I'm also apart of a few social networks, although I am very cautious with them b/c there are so many scammers out there.

I will be sending you a PM after I post this to talk more in detail about some networking.

• Options
    imageJessie*J:

We are networking. Right now we are active with 2 attorneys, we have a website, and we have sent written letters to OB's across our state.

I'm also apart of a few social networks, although I am very cautious with them b/c there are so many scammers out there.

I will be sending you a PM after I post this to talk more in detail about some networking.

Awesome!  Thanks!

• Options
    Finally got it sent!!
  • Options

I wasn't interested in networking because I didn't have the time to do so.  But some of our friends used Parent Profiles (website) and were matched that way.

An agency adoption can be done for less than $20,000.  Ours was less than 20K.  We went with our particular agency because of the excellent birth mother counseling.  That was my top priority.  

Good luck!

• Options

I didn't send out any paper communication at all.

All of mine was email through friends/family and then they sent it out from there.

I didn't put anything on any social networking sites or message boards either, for fear it could be considered advertising (which is illegal in my state).  Mine was solely word of mouth and email and my blog.

• Options
    if you do network to find a birthmom what is the cost compared to going through an agency?
  • Options
    imageMrsB2007:

I didn't send out any paper communication at all.

All of mine was email through friends/family and then they sent it out from there.

I didn't put anything on any social networking sites or message boards either, for fear it could be considered advertising (which is illegal in my state).  Mine was solely word of mouth and email and my blog.

Help?! We have been pre-approved for an Ethiopian adoption but we just can't stop thinking about the birth moms in our area. We desire so much to have the opportunity to not only adopt, but also minister to the birth mom in whatever way she needs. We are very committed to adoption and are considering networking...website, blog, paper, word of mouth, letters, etc. How do we approach this with love? We don't want to ruffle feathers along the way. Would you mind sharing your experience?

Also, we are ages 23 and 24...does the 25 rule apply to independent adoptions? Same for marriage...how long must we be married to adopt independently? I know that it is different in every state....we are in CA.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"