Preemies

Vaccination ?

My ds was born at 32 weeks and my DH and I don't want to start his vaccination schedule until he is gestationally 40weeks.  DS was 40 weeks last Wednesday.  I went to his 2 month appt. and my pedi wanted to give him his first set of shots but I refused.  I just don't want to stress him immune system right now.  Technically, he's only 2 weeks old today.

Did anyone else delay their dc's shot until they reached their gestational age?

Re: Vaccination ?

• We follow the standard schedule.  I really struggled with this and after talking to the pedi, decided to go ahead with the CDC's recs.  Our pedi felt very comfortable giving a preemie (DS is also a 32 weeker) the regular vaccinations.  DS is 12 months now and has done fine with this schedule.
  • Nope but you should do what feels right for you. We vaccinated on schedule. My son (also a 32 weeker) had a serious illness when he was 6 weeks old, so my feeling was the vaccines would strengthen his immune system and not hinder it...I figured he could use all the help he could get. Also, we live in a large metropolitan area and its not reasonable to assume that everyone DS comes in contact with will be vaccinated.

The only thing we do is we split up his vaccines so he doesn't get more than 2 in a 2 weeks period, so if he needs 4 shots in a month, we do 2 one week and then 2 in another 2 weeks.  

• Loading the player...
  • My DS was born at 26 weeks and got his vaccination according to actual age.  He did fine with them.  I struggled with delaying/not delaying and I eventually decided to trust the NICU doctors.  He did fine with them.  You should do what makes you feel best.  Dr. Sears has a wonderful book on immunizations if you are interested.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • We vaccinated sort of in between actual & adjusted age (i.e. she is getting her 6 month vaccines next week & she will be almost 5 months adjusted).  We are also delaying polio & hep B right now & just focusing on ones that we think are more important (pneumococcal, DTAP, Hib).  She also got her first H1N1 shot last week & will be getting another in a few more weeks.  She also gets her Synagis every month.  It's alot of shots & it's hard to decide what is right for your LO.  good luck!
  • I thought about it, but we decided not to only because LO was still in the NICU at 2 months.  I figured if "something" happened that she'd be in the hospital and that they would notice if she had any reaction at all.. higher heart rate, fever, etc.  LO didn't even need tylenol and she was given her shots based on her actual age.  

I was concerned about the preemie aspect to it.  I didn't want to stress her immune system either, but her doctors said that because she was a preemie it was even more important for her to be protected and get her shots on time.  

I was 50/50 based on all that.. I think if she was home, we would have waited.  We were planning on doing an adjusted schedule if she was term, but had not fully talked about it.   LO has her 4 month apt next week, so I'm going to talk to the pedi about changing the sched., if we can.  I'd like her to get the boosters she needs for the shots she was already given, but not add more, I need to look and see what she's due for.  

Anyways, I think some of the ladies here had delayed, I asked when LO was due at 2 months.. HTH some. 

• we're delaying... and some doctors have been really supportive, and some have been complete jerks. our daughter was around 3lbs when she hit 2months... and the vaccine they give is the same dosage they give a regular 2 month old... weighing around 12lbs or more!

we did know several babies in the nicu that were set back after getting their shots. (relapses in temp control, excessive desats and bradys, feeding issues...and one that was on cannula set back to cpap.) after seeing that firsthand we were like "no way!". (our neos said that it is common for them to have "some problems".)

do your research, and stick to your guns! it is ultimately your decision.

• imagemommamorris:

we're delaying... and some doctors have been really supportive, and some have been complete jerks. our daughter was around 3lbs when she hit 2months... and the vaccine they give is the same dosage they give a regular 2 month old... weighing around 12lbs or more!

we did know several babies in the nicu that were set back after getting their shots. (relapses in temp control, excessive desats and bradys, feeding issues...and one that was on cannula set back to cpap.) after seeing that firsthand we were like "no way!". (our neos said that it is common for them to have "some problems".)

do your research, and stick to your guns! it is ultimately your decision.

This is us!. We delayed shots as well, I even got in a huge fight with her NICU doctors about it and had to write a letter for her charts. I spoke to several pediatricians and a pediatric neurologist and they all agreed with me off the record. Our current pediatrician also supports us in delaying her vaccinations and our decision to not give her the flu shot or H1N1.

In the end I was glad I did, especially because of the size thing (she is 7 months old and just hit 13 lbs). Angelina receives her vaccinations closer to her adjusted age. The only thing that she gets on time is her synagis shot. That is one thing I insist on

• ditto with the synagis shot.

it's actually not a typical vaccination. it's an injection of the antibodies (not the dead or live virus) that help lessen the infection, should she get RSV. (it doesn't prevent it.) they harvest the antibodies from mice. (weird eh?) the only other ingredient is a sweetener of sorts as a preservative.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"