Northern California Babies
Options

Teething ?'s Re:When to give something

In regards to teething, when do you know you need to give them something for the pain?  S is usually fussy as it is so it's always so hard to tell when she is going through something and is in pain.  Will they be screaming and then you know to give tablets?  I've tried giving cold toys and washcloths (doesn't like them).  Some toys and dry cloths she'll chew on and will always gnaw on my or her fingers forever.  I was thinking about trying tabs but wasn't quite sure when is the right time to give them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Teething ?'s Re:When to give something

• Options
    If only there was a clear cut answer...since every baby is different, the only way I've learned with a lot of things is by doing. You could try giving the tablets now and if they seem to help her be more comfortable, then you'll know when to give them to her the next time (hope that made sense).
  • Options
    It really is hard to tell.  I think we kind of say, "when nothing else is working..."  Like if she's teething (or sick) and wakes herself up- we'll try to soothe her other ways (frozen washcloth, etc) and the 3rd time she wakes up, we give tylenol.  During the day, if we KNOW she's teething and she can't nap/etc- then we'll give it.  For us, its usually only a 24 hr period and then she doesn't need the medicine anymore.  But every kid is different, so yours might need more or less to be comfortable.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Andrew was and is (2 year molars as we speak) a kid that needs a lot of medicine and teethes hardcore.  The first time he was teething it was sort of trial by error and when nothing else was working I gave him tablets and then tylenol.  He would wake up all night long as soon as the tylenol was wearing off for about a week with two straight nights where he had to sleep with us and would whimper every half an hour or so all night long.

A good way to tell if it's teeth is to rub their gums and if they seem to like that then  it's probably just starting, if they freak out then the teeth are probably getting closer, if you can feel some swelling then even more likely.  With both boys I could feel the teeth on the front of the gum before I could feel it on the bottom (does that make sense?)

• Options
    I tried cold teethers, snuggling, and disctraction during the day, but gave Tylenol/Motrin at night when the pain was keeping him awake. If I were you, I'd try the teething tablets and see if it helps - they never seemed to do much for M, but I know some people love them. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"