3rd Trimester

Anyone not counting kicks?

I know most doctors recommend counting kicks starting at 28 weeks. My doctor never specifically asked me to or even mentioned it. I have just tried to make sure I have felt movement everyday, even if it is minimal. It seems like the past couple of days have been soo slow with the movement. I hate it. Is anyone else not counting their kicks? And also, when would you become concerned enough to call your doctor? Thanks! 

Re: Anyone not counting kicks?

• i haven't been counting but if i get worried my husband talks to her and she goes crazy and kicks him in the head.
  • i count when i'm worried.

if i didn't get 10 in 2 hrs, i'd call.

• Loading the player...
  • Neither OB (I switched at around 30 weeks) told me to do kick counts. They do ask at each week if I am feeling baby and I get a lot of activity. If I ever have a slow day, I do drink something sweet and lay down and pay attention, but it isn't something I do every day.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I do not count the kicks. If I sense decreased movement then I like to lay down and I know certain tricks to make her move (pushing on my belly, drinking some juice, etc.) then I'm satisfied that everything is ok.
  • I'm not.  My OB said I should feel some movement everyday. 
  • I haven't started counting mine. When I was at my last appointment at 28 weeks - my DR didn't mention it either. I am going back tomorrow & may ask about it, but I am just making sure I feel movement every day & making sure it isn't too minimal. I know he has his days where he is moving non-stop but the next day he only moves a couple times a day. I notice the times I feel him moving less are the times I am more busy running around so he may be rocked asleep or I am moving too much to notice him. I won't worry until it has been a couple of hours without feeling a tap here or there but I know he needs his sleep too.
    Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • I'm not counting. I asked my midwife about it, and she said that I could do it if I wanted to drive myself crazy, basically. I just know how often she kicks in a day, and I can usually plan on a day when she doesn't kick as much when she had kick-like-crazy days beforehand. As long as I feel movement, I don't worry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine told me that I only need to count kicks if I notice a drastic decrease in movement. Then, I should have 10 kicks in an hour.
  • My OB never mentioned counting either but baby moves a lot.  I've done the something sweet and lay on the couch and it works!
  • My CNM doesn't even talk about kick counts until at least 32-34 weeks.  For the most part, though, she just says to keep an eye on LOs' movements.  If you notice a day when they're less active, do the kick counts just to be sure he/she is doing ok.  She doesn't recommend doing them every day or anything...just if you worry.
  • Nope, my doc just asks if I'm feeling kicks regularly. I REALLY don't need to count because this child is rolling and kicking all day long. If it DOESN'T kick then I know there is a problem :)
  • My doctor said he doesn't really recommend doing kick counts. As long as you feel the baby move at least once a day, there is nothing to worry about. He said kick counts are more for the mother's peace of mind.

I have "slow" days and active days too. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Would any kind of movement count? I ask because recently it seems like the little ticklish flutters down low ( like in the earlier days of movement ) and not super distinct kicks like I have felt. It seems like it would be hard for me to decide what was a kick or not and I would never get to 10 distinct kicks.  I know baby gets bigger and has less room for movement but it seems a bit early for that. 

• I had my 29 week appointment yesterday and my doctor didn't mention it. She asked if he was active but other than that, no directions in terms of counting. I meant to ask but....placenta brain strikes again...I have no memory these days!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i dont count because i feel him moving around plenty.
  • I would call after I havent' felt anything all day and non of the classic tricks worked.
  • My doctor did ask me to do kick counts once per day during LO's most active time a day. She told me to count all movements, pokes, kicks, swishes, and rolls. But not to count hiccups.
  • Mine says after a meal you should have 10 movements!
  • I haven't been told to count.  When we have a slow movement day, I will make sure to sit still for a while and concentrate on her movement to ease my own mind.  I've discovered that if I'm really busy that day, I tend to notice her moving less.  And some days, she's just lazy :)
  • imageSweetSpikette:

i count when i'm worried.

if i didn't get 10 in 2 hrs, i'd call.

same here.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't count them because there are so many and it's hard for me to tell what is a kick, hiccup or position change anymore :D All I do is make sure that I feel him every single day, even though he mostly active right before bed time now that we're getting into the final stretch. 
  • imageLisa and Mickey:
    Neither OB (I switched at around 30 weeks) told me to do kick counts. They do ask at each week if I am feeling baby and I get a lot of activity. If I ever have a slow day, I do drink something sweet and lay down and pay attention, but it isn't something I do every day.

I haven't been told to at this point but I'm also asked at each visit about activity ...

• I've never been told to do actual kick counts. They always just ask if the baby is still moving good.
  • I don't count kicks. But when I asked my OB about not feeling him as much some days, she said that is normal and to lay down on my left side and drink something at the same time and see if I feel movement, which I always have. I guess just follow your gut instinct. It is probably okay- I had a total melt down on a day that I was super busy and moving around all day b/c I didn't feel little guy AT ALL, but after calming down and laying down on my side for a little while, I felt him again. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have not been counting, but if I ever notice decreased movement, I nudge my little guy to make sure he responds. If I were in your shoes and noticing decreased movement for a few days at your point in pregnancy, I would definitely call the doctor.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm not and none of my doctors have said anything to me about it. I do pay attention though. I have only gotten worried a couple of times, but he kicks 10 in at least 20 minutes so I haven't worried much. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i haven't been counting kicks because not a day goes by where i don't feel her going crazy in there and it always lasts for at least 30 minutes about 3 times a day where she's just kicking and moving... so i don't bother cause i know it's more than 10 kicks in an hour
  • This little girl is so active, I would be counting alllll dayyyy longgg if I did kick counts. My OB never even mentioned it oddly enough, but if you are concerned, call your doc. I think it's if you don't feel anything after drinking or eating something sugary, and laying on your side for 30 minutes, call.
  • I only do kick counts if I haven't felt her move for the majority of the day.
  • imagedolphindr513:
    I do not count the kicks. If I sense decreased movement then I like to lay down and I know certain tricks to make her move (pushing on my belly, drinking some juice, etc.) then I'm satisfied that everything is ok.

This.

The one time I really didn't notice movement for most of the day, I did the kick counts after I ate and had less than 5 little tiny flutters in less than hour. Ended up in L&D for NST and such. Didn't like that one bit! But other than that he always lets me know he is there so I have felt no need.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"