North Carolina Babies
Options

Back from Eli's swallow study

He did not want to cooperate.  He pretty much refused to eat or drink anything, and they had to squirt his milk down his throat with a syringe.  He was furious and spit most of it back out, but they were able to see him swallow a little bit.

Right now he's on honey thick liquids, the thickest kind.  Based on what she could see, she thinks we can downgrade to nectar thick, which is about half the consistency.  So that is good news.  But I really wish he would have cooperated and drank all the consistencies so she could see if maybe we could stop the thickener all together.  We weren't even able to try unthickened milk, after the fight he put up just trying the nectar thick. 

So for now I'll just be happy that he is showing some progress and we can save a little money on the amount of thickener we have to buy.  But I really wanted to see him drink some unthickened liquids.  My gut thinks he might be ok.  But now we have to wait another 4 months and cross our fingers he does better next time.  So I'm happy and disappointed at the same time. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Back from Eli's swallow study

• Options

well, hopefully he'll be more cooperative at the next appointment! i guess it's good to just step down, rather than just go cold turkey to unthickened liquids.

i'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for next time. we've all had an uncooperative toddler a time or 2 Smile

• Options
    Sorry he wouldn't cooperate! Glad to hear there is improvement. I bet it's frustrating having to wait another 4 months. I hope they go by quickly for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yay and Tongue Tied

Bittersweet Im sure. Heres to hoping the nectar helps move it along and by summer time it will all be over!!! Fingers crossed for you guys!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejenn&tim05:

Yay and Tongue Tied

Bittersweet Im sure. Heres to hoping the nectar helps move it along and by summer time it will all be over!!! Fingers crossed for you guys!

Can you imgaine if he can drink a bottle of water at the beach?!  How crazy would that be?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    An uncooperative toddler, imagine that...sounds like Camryn acting like a complete fool at our family pic on Sunday.  Hope he cooperates next time and you can be done with it!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    imagekateland3:

well, hopefully he'll be more cooperative at the next appointment! i guess it's good to just step down, rather than just go cold turkey to unthickened liquids.

i'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for next time. we've all had an uncooperative toddler a time or 2 Smile

I agree absolutely with all this - couldn't have said it better.

YAY for saving some $$ 

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• Options
    That's great!!! That means his muscles are getting stronger! He will just keep improving.... go Eli!
    image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well at least you're headed in the right direction! I hope he will cooperate for you next time, and that you can ditch the thickener all together. I can't imagine what a hassle that must be!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    I'm glad to hear that you got some good news, but I hate that Eli was not cooperating with you. I hope he'll be better about it in 4 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"