D.C. Area Babies

Hi :)

In case you didn't see my post on the DC Nest board, I am joining your ranks. :)

I have a couple of quick questions:

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one.

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)?

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Hi :)

• Congrats and welcome!

1) We are fortunate that my DH works from home and he watches DD everyday.  

2) I told work when I was 8 weeks, but didn't tell my student's parents until I was 17 weeks.

3) I got most of my clothes at Old Navy and JC Pennys.  I found some at some yard sales too. 

BTW- We'll be posting some baby items on Craiglist in another week or so.  I'll post on here when they are up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • 1) In DC I would look now..their waitlists are pretty long

2) I told work early with both PG as i had some complications and had a bunch of DR's appts.

3) Old navy (mostly online), Gap (mostly online), Motherhood Maternity, Kohls

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't help much with your questions because my work situation was pretty non-traditional (working from home on a long-term contract position until April), but I wanted to say welcome to the board!  And congrats again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• welcome welcome!!

1. n/a - my Mom watches DD but I think early in 2nd tri is good, if you want in-home day care, you can start later, those usually don't know about future openings until closer to the date you need the opening.

2. I waited till about 14w I think (same 2nd time), b/c I wanted to be in 2nd tri and b/c I wanted to have the results of NT scan.  You'll also want to contact HR to find out their FMLA and STD (short-term-disability) policy.

3. Some GAP stores sell maternity clothes, there is always Motherhood Maternity. I was also very lucky to get a lot of hand-me-downs from friends, so if you have new-Mom friends you may want to ask them.

• Congrats and welcome! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy! :-)

1) You're not behind yet but I would definitely start looking. Day care centers fill up fast and nanny/nanny shares are generally set up 2-3 months out (at least in VA).

2) I didn't tell work til I was at least 4 months along. I wasn't really showing and didn't feel the need to tell sooner.

3) I ended up getting a lot of my clothes from GAP, Old Navy, and Pea in the Pod. There are also some really good online shops that sell really fashionable stuff.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations!! What an exciting time. My answers are below.

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one. I got on 4 waitlists the week I found out I was pregnant. I got off one when DD was 2 months, 1 more when she was 6 months, and never heard back from the other 2.  If you're looking for a center, the sooner the better. For in home or a nanny, you can't even really start until close to when you're returning to work. I put myself on waitlists early just to give myself that option.

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that. I think it depends on your situation. Most people really don't "show" until closer to the 16 weeks or so and even then it can be carefully hidden, so you probably have a 3 to 4 week window. I told at 12 weeks once we had gotten good results at the genetic screen.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)? I really liked Gap and Old Navy. Honestly, I found that going a size up and getting some longer shirts was all I needed for my top half until my 3rd trimester. Some of my stretchy shirts and sweaters were good for a long time. Gap for pants, definitely. Motherhood and Target are lower quality than Gap, I thought, but are cheap and will do the trick.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome!

1) Can't help you here as I became a SAHM

2) I didn't tell work until after hearing the h/b (not just seeing it) at around 12/13 weeks.

3) I bought and continue to get most of my maternity clothes from Old Navy and Gap and usually online since I can get talls from Gap online.  If you watch it you can get stuff on sale and/or with an additional discount.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Welcome, welcome - H&H 9 months!

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I used the MoCo LOCATE service around 20 weeks to get a list of centers and in-homes closest to our house. We toured centers, got on wait-lists, and met with in-home providers. A couple places were willing to take deposits to hold a space but we decided to wait. Once on maternity leave, I used Monday Morning Moms and LOCATE again and decided on an in-home provider when DS was 10 weeks old, six weeks before returning to work.

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that.
    I told at 13 weeks - I would have liked to wait longer, but my severe m/s made it pretty obvious.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)? All of the above, plus Kohl's has a small selection but great sales. ATL is also doing maternity again, online only.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. We put our names on 3 centers lists when I was 8 weeks pregnant (they knew I was pregnant before we told anyone else). We found our in-home daycare when I was on maternity leave and just heard from one of the centers a few weeks ago. However, we are staying with her in-home provider because she is so great.

2. I did not tell my boss until I was was 14 weeks.

3. Most of my maternity clothes were from the Gap/Ann Taylor Loft. I found some online and some on eBay. The Baby Gap at Fair Oaks has a small section.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1) When did you start looking for daycare? If you're looking for a daycare center, I'd start looking/get yourself on a waitlist now. We are in NOVA and got on the waitlist for two daycares when I was three months pregnant. One had a spot for DD when she was 5 months old and the other one STILL doesn't have a space! If you're thinking in-home provider, most of them won't guarantee you a spot this early and/or won't know if they'll have a spot until closer to the time you need them. 

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I waited until I was 13 weeks.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)? I got most of my pants from JC Penney. They aren't very expensive and they fit me best (I am tall). I also really liked the maternity clothes at Target.

ETA: Get a Bella Band! Then you can wear your non-maternity pants even longer.

Photobucket
  • Welcome! :)

1.  Another N/A...my mom, mother-in-law and me all juggle childcare.

2.  I waited until after my NT scan with both pregnancies (13-14 weeks).

3.  JC Penney's for work stuff (separates)--the selection is decent and the price is right.  I've had a lot of luck at Old Navy and Burlington Coat Factory for casual clothes. 

• Congratulations

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one.  I looked at Centers in my 2nd tri - in the suburbs the wait lists can be shorter.  I decided I wanted to go with in-home care and had a great experience with Infant Toddler.  I didn't select the in-home provider until DD was about 4 weeks old.

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that.  I told earlier but every woman in our office probably knew since the bathroom and I were such good friends.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)?  My fave maternity clothes came from Ann Taylor Loft.  Back in the day they sold them in store so you can try them on, but now I believe you have to order online.  Same quality and styles as non-maternity clothes.  I also bought some pieces at consignment sales.  Target quality can be sketchy, the same holds for Old Navy and Motherhood.  I found my more expensive pieces lasted my pregnancy and can be worn again while many of my cheaper purchases were ready to be retired by the time DD was born.  

• Congratulations gtown!!!

1) started thinking about what kind of daycare we wanted around 2 months. started interviewing providers in 4th month. confirmed provider by 5 months

2) i told work at 12 weeks. would have waited longer but i was beginning to show 

3)  i got a lot of things at motherhood maternity, old navy and various online retailers. i got a few, special things at appleseed in old town alexandria

• 1. C isn't in daycare yet, so no help there.

2. I think 12 weeks. I was feeling pretty confident about the pregnancy and also a little worried that I was showing or it was becoming obvious. 

3. I got a lot from OldNavy.com, some things from Motherhood Maternity, Gap and Kohls. But! The good thing about being big and pregnant in the summer is that you can take advantage of jersey dresses and skirts. I also wore a lot of regular clothes with empire waists for awhile. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Congratulations!!

1) Can't help since I'm a SAHM.

2) I told around 14-15 weeks b/c I thought for sure it was pretty obvious at that point.  I would try to wait as long as you can though b/c it can sometimes be an issue w/employers.

3) Gap was my favorite.  There wasn't a lot out there that was inexpensive but still nice and fit well.  Ann Taylor sometimes had a few things I liked.

• Congrats again!

1) I didn't start looking until after baby was born (for many reasons out of my control) and I found in-home daycare no problem.  If you are looking at centers, other ladies on here can give you advice, but from what I understand you probably want to get on lists right away, and expect to shell out a few "get me on your list" fees.

2) I told work at 10 weeks for both.  I had redonk morning sickness both times, so "hiding" a pregnancy for me was too stressful.

3)  Some people despise Motherhood Maternity, and while I think a lot of their stuff looks/is cheap-y, you can really luck out there too and spend not a lot of $$ for work stuff that looks/feels just fine.  Pea in a Pod is expensive, but they have sales.  Also Macy's carries those branks too.  I also shopped for regular clothes in bigger sizes and with empire waists (like those shirts that are "in" that make everyone look pregnant).

And, for whatever it's worth, here's the "how I found daycare" Google spreadsheet I made in 2007 and updated in 2009.  Sorry if I already gave this to you - I can't ever remember who all I share the link with.  Embarrassed

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6LhXlNI9FdU2cVy0kCNZeQ&output=html

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Yay!  So glad you are here!  Congrats!

1) I got on several daycare waiting lists when I was around 12 weeks pregnant.  Got a spot in my top choice after about 10 months on the waiting list.  Another called after a year.

2)  I think I told around 14 weeks.

3)  Most of my maternity clothes came from the Gap online.  Also, Wiggle Room in Bethesda...got some great stuff there!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one.    We got on center lists as soon as we had a due date.  For in home, it was my experience in MoCo that no one wanted to talk to me until about 6wks before actually needing care.

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that.  I'm a Fed (like you, I think).  I told my boss at 8wks (after drs appt and saw the heartbeat).  I wanted to be as up front with him as possible and give him a lot of time to prepare. Told friends at work around 12 weeks and didn't tell anyone else at work, just let them figure it out when I got huge. 

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)?   Start with the bella bands, that will get  you a long way.  I got most of my maternity clothes at Motherhood Maternity, some at Old Navy and some at Target.  The Motherhood quality is awful, but it was in my price range. 

Congrats!!!!!

Thanks!

• In case you didn't see my post on the DC Nest board, I am joining your ranks. :)

Congratulations!!!

I have a couple of quick questions:

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one.

I actually found DD's DCP (in-home & licensed) on CL while I was on maternity leave. If you are looking at a daycare center, you usually have to get on the waitlist before you get pregnant Stick out tongue

I told HR before 12 weeks because I was having problems with my peachy boss, but I won't go there. But yes, I would hold off for the 12 week mark.

Motherhood Maternity, though some of their things are NMS, Old Navy, Baby Gap (at Fair Oaks Mall), Mimi Maternity in Mazza Gallerie (if I recall correctly. There's also A Pea in the Pod at Tysons Galleria, but they can be pricey.

• Many congratulations!  Hope my answers help you out some...

1) When did you start looking for daycare? I have a feeling I'm already behind on this one- I was a little late starting and didn't really start looking until I was close to 7 months pregnant. Ideal would probably be around 3-4 months so that you can get on any waiting lists, etc...

2) When did you tell work you were pregnant? I'm definitely not telling until 13 weeks at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should wait longer than that- I told my boss when I was 8 weeks pregnany mainly because I had just accepted a newly created position and wanted to be sure that we had more than enough time to work through any kinks that my leaving could create.

3) Recs for reasonably priced maternity clothes (casual and business casual)?- Old Navy was a great resource.  I also just used a lot of my pre-maternity tops (fortunately I like a lot of empire waist items) to fill in the gaps.  There is a place in Bethesda, MD called Wiggle Room that also had some great items and Target helped with the other stuff. I didn't buy maternity but regular clothes in a larger size.

• Congrats!!  :)  There must definitely be something in the water haha

The only question I can really answer is #2 - I told work at about 8 weeks (my boss and then my 5 coworkers a week later).  I work with all women and it's just the 7 of us and some of them were on to me as I was having a lot of m/s.  I think it just depends on who you work with and where you work and how you're feeling.  I had always been in the 12-13 week camp as well but that changed because of how crappy I was feeling..

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yay! Welcome to the board.

1) Pretty early, like beginning of second trimester I think? It depends on if you're looking for in-home or a center. With a center, you can get on waiting lists early, but most in-home places won't know their availability that far out. We were set with a center at about 20 weeks.

2) I told at 13 weeks, after our second appointment (first was the sonogram/confirmation, second was just hearing the heartbeat again). I think some people wait until after the screening tests.

3) I got pretty much all of mine at Mimi Maternity in the Montgomery Mall (the one right near Nordstrom's). I ended up spending about . . . $500 on my maternity clothes, and got 3-4 t-shirts, two blouses, jeans, three pairs of slacks, two dresses and a skirt. I also wore a lot of my own shirts (Banana Republic shirts tend to have long torsos that stretch well) and my own pants with the Bella Band.

The good thing about being pregnant in summer is you can get away with more casual clothes! 

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• 1.  Immediately for centers in the inner burbs/DC.  I heard from my first one a year after getting on the waitlist.  For in-home/nanny, 2-3 months before you need it.

2.  About 13 weeks.  I didn't see any reason to wait longer.

3.  I recommend yard sales/DC urban mom/consignments.  So much of the stuff in stores is just crap for a working woman, and the nice stuff is ridiculously $$$$.  For tops, dresses, and skirts (pants not so much) I was able to buy stretchy/longer regular clothes that worked.

• Since you already got plenty of advice, I just wanted to say congratulations!!!!
  • 1. I waited so long to do this.  But in my neighborhood, that didn't seem to be a problem, luckily!

2. I told my boss pretty early.  The way my OB starts off, I had 2 appointments in a month, so I wanted my boss to know I was legitimately taking off.  I told my department and started telling coworkers as soon as my first tri was over, I couldn't hold it in.  Plus, I'm facebook friends with a lot of coworkers, so they were going to find out pretty soon anyway :)

3. I did a lot of shopping at Target and Old Navy online.  My favorite jeans were from Motherhood Maternity, since they had full panel short sizes. 

• hello hello!

Congrats and wish you a safe, healthy pregnancy!

1. now!    2. after 1st tri     3. old navy, motherhood maternity

• Yeah, congrats! I used to post to the DC board under a different SN, I remember you. 

1) I'm a SAHM now, but with DC1 we started looking when I was about 20 weeks pg. 

3) Wiggle Room in Bethesda!!

• Congrats!

2. I told my boss really early with #1 because I was super sick. We told family once we saw the heartbeat and everyone else at 13 weeks.

3. I found a lot of good stuff on ebay. I got a whole "lot" of clothes for $80. Most of my other clothes I got from Old Navy. I was not impressed with Motherhood Maternity at all.

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!

We started looking around the beginning of the 2nd trimester. We got on waitlists for 2 centers, and still haven't heard from either of them. We also visited several in-homes, but, as others have mentioned, they don't confirm until much closer to the date. We're in an in-home that we love.

I told my direct supervisor, my director of fin. & admin., and my PA around 16 weeks. Everyone else found out around 22 weeks, as I recall.

Old Navy, H&M (downtown store only around here, I believe).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"