High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

New to the Board

Hi ladies.  DH and I are expecting our first in March.  I've been experiencing a lot of contractions since early in my second trimester; I've been into L&D twice and have had mutiple fFN tests.  Today's fFN test was positive.  On the bright sidethere are no cervical changes despite a lost mp (yuck).  As of a few hours ago, I am on 30 mg procardia XL 2x/d to control contractions (was on terb as needed) and modified bed rest.  I have two questions: 1) What are your experiences with a positive fFN test and 2) what are your thoughts and experiences about procardia (or tocolytics in general) when no cervical changes have been observed?  I'm worried that our LO will be born too early and also worried after reading all of the "internet" information about side-effects of the various tocolytics. 

Thanks for reading my post and Happy New Year!

Re: New to the Board

• Options

1) What are your experiences with a positive fFN test?

I went to L&D on 12/7 at 31w2d for losing my mucos plug which had a streak of dark blood in it..  I tested positive for FFN as well.  I was sent home the next day after given 2 steroid shots for LOs lung development and my contractions stopped. I am also on 10mg of procardia 4 times a day.  

2) what are your thoughts and experiences about procardia (or tocolytics in general) when no cervical changes have been observed?

I am 80/90% effaced and 1 cm dialated..  You just got to trust your Dr. Alot of ladies on here got the terb shot.. I never did? But I trust my Drs and do what they say..   The best advice I can give you is to stay off your feet as much as possible!!! I am on strict bedrest now for over 3 weeks now doing only 5 min showers and bathroom breaks.. 

Also, dont torture yourslef with the internet stuff. I was doing it too.. No good.,.  How far along are you???

• Options

Thank you for your response, it helps a lot.  I am 30 weeks today.   

Also, how long did it take for the procardia to lessen the intensity and/or frequency of your contractions? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know about a positive fFN test, since mine was negative on 12/7.

But, I have been on terbutaline/Brethine since 11/24 due to contractions that sent me to L&D twice. While in L&D I was shot up about 3-4 times with the terbutaline. I trust that my OB knows what he's doing when prescribing both the shots to calm my uterus and the pills for me to take every 4 hours.

For me, the terbutaline calmed my uterus quite a bit right away. The shot is always the quickest way for it to calm down. Usually if I feel a cramp/contraction at home, I take my terbutaline, get a big glass of water and lay down.

I've heard stories of women who have had a positive fFN test, but with bedrest they surpassed that 2 week window. This would be something to discuss with your OB.

Good luck with everything!

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"