Stay at Home Moms

My SAHM tip

I am going on 4 years as a SAHM and the two things I have found that save my sanity and make my life so much easier are.

1. Mother Day Out or Preschool- DD goes three days a week and DS will go one starting next week. He will go two next year. It is a luxery that we budget for, but DD loves it and I really enjoy the me time. There are MDO in our area that are as low aws $60 a month for one day a week. It totally refreshes me and gives me time to actually get things done.

2. Memberships!!! I can not tell you how much of a sanity saver this is. We have a zoo membership, museum membership, and pool passes. The zoo membership and museum mebership are $85 for the year and worth every penny, we go at least once a week to each. It saves tons of money and gives us fun "free" things to do. The nice thing is we only have to stay for an hour or two if they are fussy or hot because it was paid for. I take lunch to both and we spend the day there then head home for LONG naps.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Re: My SAHM tip

• Yes, I would definitely get those if I had a job and the money to spare.  But the catch-22 with staying home is that I have plenty of time but no money to do anything with!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Excellent tips and I agree completely!

I have been home 4 years this February and could NOT have survived without my Mom's Group friends and our annual memberships.  :)

I would also like to add my tip: knowing my local Parks & Recreation Department!  Visiting parks and pools, going on hikes, taking art classes and attending their special events have been GREAT fun for Emily & I!  

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Loading the player...
  • imageali-1411:
    Yes, I would definitely get those if I had a job and the money to spare.  But the catch-22 with staying home is that I have plenty of time but no money to do anything with!  :)

This.

But hopefully someday our financial situation will improve, and I'll keep your suggestions in mind.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Personally- for reasons of my own- i too disagree with #1.

#2 however is a great thing for us too. We go to a ton of parks too- DD looooves nature and loves her little walks/hikes.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I too disagree with #1 for my own reasons. I will however put DS and DD in preschool 2-3 days a week the year before kindergarten. Where we live it is done by the school system.

Also, money is an issue for #2 and we don't live near anything like that. The closest zoo/museums are over 2 hours away. We do go to story time and the park though and are starting to make friends here(we just moved this summer) and have playgroups.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • we have the money, but #1 isn't for us.  I might do preschool the year before kindergarten, but probably not until then.  If I did MDO I'd only do it for one a day a week
  • imageali-1411:
    Yes, I would definitely get those if I had a job and the money to spare.  But the catch-22 with staying home is that I have plenty of time but no money to do anything with!  :)

I am in the same boat. We do go to some Parents Place classes, which we have scrounged our pennies together for, but we can't afford any memberships. We do have some friends who have memberships to the aquarium here. They have guest passes that we use sometimes, which helps a lot.

• I will agree with you on #1 Big Smile Henry goes 2 days a week to a 2 year odl program and LOVES it. It is winter break now and he keeps asking when he can go back. I love it because those are days I can actually go to the dentist or to get my hair done without getting a sitter or dragging DS along. I can also keep up with my volunteer work and other things that are importantn to me.

He starts pre-school in September and he is SO excited. He likes to put on his backpack and play "going to pre-school" all the time (he went with me to a zillion open houses, interviews, etc. for pre-school so he is all about it).

My MOMS Club is also a lifesaver - we have an activity every day, and I am able to do a lot of more "adult" activities like our book club or moms night out with them. DS is an extremely social kid, so pre-school, play groups, etc. are very important for him.

• Yes And I also agree w/ DevonPow about a mom's club! I joined Mothers and More (it's a national group w/ local chapters) and it is the best thing I could have done!! Like the MOMS Club, there are daily activities (playgroups, field trips) for the kids as well as nightly activities for moms (book club, moms night in, mom's night out, movie nights, general meetings where we have guest speakers who talk about stuff of interest - this month it's healthy cooking, etc..).

I don't know what I would do w/out M&M and all those activities. I'm also a board member now so I feel like I have a "job" outside of my kids. It's really nice to have something small to do and people who rely on me, and my own little thing going outside of family life :) Plus DD loves all the activities and has her little group of friends who she knows and trusts.. as well as the moms who help out whenever needed. It's really great.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • I can see the money thing being a HUGE issue, we get our memberships from Grandparents for Christmas so it cost us $0 a lot of times, sure beats toys.

I am a HUGE advocate of both preschool and MDO, as an educator I know the importance of a good PS program, but also understand that it is a to each his own type of thing.

• imageAndrewsgal:
    I am a HUGE advocate of both preschool and MDO, as an educator I know the importance of a good PS program, but also understand that it is a to each his own type of thing.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but this sounds incredibly condescending.  As a former teacher, I understand that you can get all of the benefits of PS without actually sending your child outside of your home.  I also know that most of the PS in this area are worthless.

Thanks for the tips. 

• #1 - Disagree, but I do go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and put DD in the childcare center. It's a sanity saver when DH is working out of town.

#2 - Memberships are great, but I still have yet to buy one. I have found a lot of museums have "free day" and I tend to go on those days instead. Also, Parks and Rec activities are awsome in my area (and extrememly affordable).

• imagetabi_ja:

imageAndrewsgal:

Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but this sounds incredibly condescending.  As a former teacher, I understand that you can get all of the benefits of PS without actually sending your child outside of your home.  I also know that most of the PS in this area are worthless.

Thanks for the tips. 

I am sorry if it came off sounding concescending I did not mean it that way at all. I have just seen so many kids with so much potential entering school with very little background knowledge. Kids are expected to know so much when entering school (letters, numbers, counting, writing) without this basic knowledge they start out behind. It is also just the routines of school (standing in a line, waiting turns, sittting at a table) that need to be taught too. Preschool the year before kinder is something I strongly believe in.

• I agree. Not to turn this into a pre-school debate, but the reason I believe so much in pre-school is that it teaches things like listening to/respecting a different authority figure than a parent/relative, being able to sit/focus for a length of time with a lot of other kids/distractions around, sitting and learning in a group environment, etc. that are all things that you basically can't do on your own at home, even if you do classes. Teaching ABCs and colors, etc. isn't an important aspect to me - he already knows all of that from being home with me.

Of course, from what I have seen on these boards pre-school attitudes really vary by region. In my town it is a given that all kids go to pre-school. From what I see in other areas it is not as common. DS would be at a disadvantage if I didn't send him because literally every other child in his K class will have gone to pre-school (and in general boys tend to be later on the social/group skills that are important in K and that pre-school helps with), but if he wasn't going to be in that situation maybe I would feel diferently.

• Neither of those will work for me because we don't have the extra money and DD is too young to go to pre-school or get anything out of any memberships.
  • imageali-1411:

These are the things you ask Grandparents to buy the family if you cannot afford them.  Season passes take all the stress out.  It doesn't matter if you get there then need to leave because of behavior or the weather or anything.  It's a lot cheaper to have a family pass to a city pool or museum than it is to go ad hoc.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagediana.filipi:

imageali-1411:

These are the things you ask Grandparents to buy the family if you cannot afford them.  Season passes take all the stress out.  It doesn't matter if you get there then need to leave because of behavior or the weather or anything.  It's a lot cheaper to have a family pass to a city pool or museum than it is to go ad hoc.

We don't ask our parents to buy us anything. 

They like to send the kids a toy for Christmas, but I would never ask for a $40 pass for something.

• We don't have MDO around here. I'm more of a fan of preschool. Around here, all the kids start preschool at 2.5-3YO. It's just how it is. I have seen a HUGE difference in DD#1 and DD#2 with preschool. Best thing I ever did, even though our preschool is ridiculously expensive (in line with Montessori pricing).

We have a zoo membership and we join our local lake in the summer. Both are really great to have.

I would also add - Join a Mom's club!!! It has been so great for me. I joined 3 years ago, and we have playgroups by age, a book club, meal swaps, etc. I really don't know what I'd do without it.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Our zoo membership is a lifesaver. It's a $90 fee and we could go every day of the year if we wanted. I feel like the zoo is a great place for DD, I can let her run around and she loves to look at the animals and tell me what they say. In our situation, it's worth it to save up and make this purchase. We've found ways to have other free outings, like our local parks/resevoirs, the Rocky Mountains themselves, free day at the museum, etc.

As for the MDO, it seems like a huge luxury that we can't afford. Preschool will be one thing when she's old enough, but for now she gets her educational experiences from the library and our adventures. If I need a day to myself, I can always call up my MIL or my mom and they'd be more than happy to take her for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• imageali-1411:
    imagediana.filipi:

imageali-1411:

We don't ask our parents to buy us anything. 

They like to send the kids a toy for Christmas, but I would never ask for a $40 pass for something.

I agree about not "asking" them to buy it but if they are getting her something anyway and they are looking for ideas then I think that my parents would be thrilled to purchase something like this. It's something useful and educational that DD won't get bored with like a new toy.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will also agree on #1. My three year old is in preschool 3 days a week for 3 hours a day and loves it! DD# 2 will prob start next year as well! When you have 3 kids under 4 metime is VERY important.We also have zoo passes but I don't use them as I should because having 3 out and about for hours at a time makes me nervous!
    Kids imageimageimageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not going to comment on the pre-school debate. I have my own opinion, but to each their own, is what I say.

I will say, however, there are a multitude of things available both free and at cost, if you are willing to do a little research. Don't be stuck in your own town, when you are looking for free or close to free activities! Check out your local libraries, community centers, department of rec, public parks, etc.. for programs. We go to the local library once a week for story time, and have gone to the County library too for a different story time. If you're child is pre-school age but you do not want to or have the money for pre-school, check out your local high school/colleges. I know many high schools have child development courses in which they run a pre-school and often these programs cost very little or are free.

While memberships to zoos, museums, etc.. are costly, I found telling my parents/IL's that I would appreciate that more for DD then another toy, to be a great gift. For Christmas/her birthday, my parents purchased DD a membership to the local children's museum with the addition of the premium plan that allows for free guests and admission to other children museums across the US. I can't wait for the new year to take DD and my parents look forward to taking her too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I whole heartedly agree with everything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"