D.C. Area Babies
Options

Blankets...confused

So is it ever ok to use a blanket over LO?  DD is 4 months old and we still swaddle her but we're trying to move away from the swaddling so will she be ok in a Halo blanket only?

It's so weird because I have two adult children and they slept on their tummies with blankets.  I'm a new mom all over again and I'm trying to follow all these new "rules."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Blankets...confused

• Options
    I would think that to be safest, if you want to use a blanket, you can tuck it into the mattress if you want to put it over your DD (who is super cute by the way).  I remember when DD was younger we used to put her in a sleeper and then in a sleep sack if it was really cold since we didn't want to tuck a blanket into the mattress.  Once DD started moving around and rolling over to sleep on her tummy (around 8 months old), there isn't really much we could do, so when it got cold again, when she was 13 months, we just started putting a blanket on top of her. 
  • Options

As pp said, if you use a blanket, it's supposed to be tucked into the end and sides of the crib.  We use Halo SleepSacks instead.  Currently, he sleeps in fleece PJs with a fleece SleepSack because his room can get kind of cold.  In the summer, he slept in a cotton bodysuit or cotton PJs and a cotton SleepSack.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We're right in the middle of this "discussion" in our house right now. Baby In a Bag is great - really warm sleep sacks, so normally it's not an issue. However, tonight, DD threw up on her only Baby in a Bag so we didn't have enough to keep her warm. She is totally mobile (almost walking) and I have no problem putting a blanket on her. DH on the other hand is adamant about no blankets so has said he is willing to get up at midnight to turn our heat back on and leave it on all night. Whatevs...

I digress - just annoyed right now. The point is, check out www.babyinabag.com. Worth the $$ although now I'm wishing I had 2 instead of 1. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Around 2 months, DS decided he didn't want to be swaddled, but it was still winter so we used the sleepsacks and those seemed to keep him perfectly warm.  There are different fabrics to use during different weather.  Right now we are using the Halo Velboa, which is like a soft furry material.
  • Options
    My DD once post swaddling, never took to the sleep sacks so we've used blankets. 
  • Options

We *just* stopped swaddling this week because C started fighting us and fussing when we did it. We just stuck him in a sleep sack and he did okay (Well, the first night totally sucked. The second wasn't so bad.).

C's fingers are always freezing cold though. I wish I could figure out a way to keep them warm, aside from shoving his hands back in the newborn mittens. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageeeclem:

We *just* stopped swaddling this week because C started fighting us and fussing when we did it. We just stuck him in a sleep sack and he did okay (Well, the first night totally sucked. The second wasn't so bad.).

We tried the Halo Sleep Sack but her arms flap up in the air and she keeps jumping and barely sleeps, argh!  She loves being swaddled.

• Options

imagenorthernvabride:
    I would think that to be safest, if you want to use a blanket, you can tuck it into the mattress if you want to put it over your DD (who is super cute by the way).  I remember when DD was younger we used to put her in a sleeper and then in a sleep sack if it was really cold since we didn't want to tuck a blanket into the mattress.  Once DD started moving around and rolling over to sleep on her tummy (around 8 months old), there isn't really much we could do, so when it got cold again, when she was 13 months, we just started putting a blanket on top of her. 

Thank you, Big Smile.  Right now she doesn't roll over, lazy girl, but once she does we'll have to tuck the blanket into the mattress and hope she's able to sleep unswaddled.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"