Alabama Babies

Quad Screen Yay/Nay

I really need some advice ladies.  I keep going back and fourth on if I want to do the test or not do the test.  I didn't do the first tri test, which from what the dr. said, is a little more accurate than the quad screening.  I just keep thinking I dont wanna put myself through the worry of false positives/or having to subject myself and the baby to more tests if it does come back positive.  On the other hand, it would be nice to be prepared if something was/is wrong.  I'm just having mixed feelings on doing the test.  Did most of you ladies do the test??  What are your feelings towards  the test?? 

Re: Quad Screen Yay/Nay

• We got the test done and I'm glad I did. I know there is a risk of false positives. But, for us it was worth it in case there was something wrong. We wanted to be prepared.

I think that we would get the screening done again if we have future children.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• We chose not to have the screening done.  I knew that if it did show anything, it wouldn't change my mind about the pregnancy.  No matter what the results, I would never have discontinued the pregnancy.  Also, I felt that if anything was very serious, it would show in the 20 week ultrasound. 
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We didn't do it. There wasn't one particular reason why-I didn't have strong feelings about it and my doctor didn't recommend doing it. Has your dr told you his or her opinion on it? That may help sway you in one direction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Of course I have not had to officially make a decison about this yet. And I have decided that I don't think I will do it. I may change my mind, but I doubt it. The results don't matter to me, so there's no reason for the testing.
  • imagelilcrablegs:
    We didn't do it. There wasn't one particular reason why-I didn't have strong feelings about it and my doctor didn't recommend doing it. Has your dr told you his or her opinion on it? That may help sway you in one direction.

She told me today that she wouldn't recommend one way or another.  She said it's a lot to think about and that she's had patients that do and some that don't.  She said it's a lot of soul searching and just doing what you feel is right.  I was hoping for a little more guidance on it, however I guess it truly is all up to the person.  I'm leaning more towards thinking we won't do it. 

• We did the first-tri screening, not because anything would have changed our minds about the pregnancy (you only get odds from these screenings anyway, not definites) but because it was offered, it was non-invasive, it was covered by insurance, we're both in our mid/late 30s and we have no medical info on DH's biological father.
  • imagelilcrablegs:
    We didn't do it. There wasn't one particular reason why-I didn't have strong feelings about it and my doctor didn't recommend doing it.

this.

• imageSeasideBride06:
    We chose not to have the screening done.  I knew that if it did show anything, it wouldn't change my mind about the pregnancy.  No matter what the results, I would never have discontinued the pregnancy.  Also, I felt that if anything was very serious, it would show in the 20 week ultrasound. 

This. 

• We had it done, and had a false positive for possible open neural tube defects. I will most likely not have the screen for any future pregnancies, unless something shows on the u/s or other concerns arise. Luckily it only caused us another u/s, so the testing wasn't invasive.
  • We did not have the screening done because we knew nothing would change our minds about the pregnancy. 

• We did it. And while I'm usually the worrying type, I did not fret during the wait to hear the results. I knew that I had no control over the results and either way it went, it was good to know.
  • We said nay...it wouldn't change our decision about the pregancy and we didn't want any undue stress since there are a lot of false positiives.
  • We did not. I knew that it would cause me so much stress if I did receive negative results or false positives. I did not want to bring on any complications due to major stress and I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy the best that I could. I also knew that most things could be detected in the ultrasound.
  • imagekc0721:

imagelilcrablegs:
    We didn't do it. There wasn't one particular reason why-I didn't have strong feelings about it and my doctor didn't recommend doing it. Has your dr told you his or her opinion on it? That may help sway you in one direction.

She told me today that she wouldn't recommend one way or another.  She said it's a lot to think about and that she's had patients that do and some that don't.  She said it's a lot of soul searching and just doing what you feel is right.  I was hoping for a little more guidance on it, however I guess it truly is all up to the person.  I'm leaning more towards thinking we won't do it. 

We didn't do it. We also didn't want the worrying that came along with negative or false positive results, and knew the u/s would be more diagnostic.  I knew I would worry too much and wanted to enjoy my pregnancy without constantly thinking that something could be wrong.  I felt like me not being stressed, which likely would have led to me not eating, drinking, or sleeping well, would be healthier for me and the baby.

Is this Dr. P that you are seeing now? If so, my two cents - initially I hoped for more guidance from her, but grew to appreciate her allowing us to make our own decisions.  It made me feel more confident/competent as a patient.  That being said, she will definitely tell you if there is something you should worry about or give her recommendation when it really counts.  

• We didn't do it either.  I've known too many people to have false positives and be caused SO much stress.  I also knew I'd be having 2 ultrasounds and if something was really wrong, we'd see something there.  I sometimes worry about not having all the information that COULD be available, but that worry doesn't compare to the stress I would have felt at a false positive.
  • We did not, but I think it's definitely a personal choice.  When we asked our dr he told us that given that DH and I were both healthy and not in any major risk groups, he didn't think it was definitely a necessity.  We discussed the high rate of false positives, which would potentially lead to more invasive testing.  When I was still unsure and started pushing him, he told us that unless we would terminate if the baby had Downs Syndrome, then he would not bother.

I have also seen several posts on other boards where people have had completely normal results but then their baby was born with some horrible condition - so to me, I didn't want the false sense of security either.  Like Amy, I chose to believe (or hope) that anything serious would be picked up on the u/s.

However, if it is covered by your insurance and you want to peace of mind, I don't think there's any harm it it.  You just need to know that there are no guarantees!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"