North Carolina Babies
Options

Strollers! ACK!!!

Yes, I realize I sound like the Cathy cartoon, but strollers are scary! I decided to go through the stroller section of Baby Bargains again last night and really pay attention, take notes and figure out what was best for me. Whew! That was a mental workout!

I'm a weakling. Yes, I'll readily admit, I have no arm strength. So, a 30 pound travel system seems like a bad idea for me. I have not gone to BRU to test anything out yet, but I've considered getting either the Graco Safe Seat / SnugRide 32 carseat to use with the Graco Snug Rider stroller frame. I'll also register for a lightweight stroller for later use, probably just going with one of the Baby Bargains recommendations.

Baby Bargains says this is the best way to go, but I don't know if there are cons to this route. Does anyone have advice? Recommendations?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Strollers! ACK!!!

• Options

I can't speak from direct experience, but I would recommend going to Buy Buy Baby in Durham to try them out... they have everything under the sun in a much more "try it out" friendly set up than BRU... you can choose what you want there and then register for it at BRU :)

I got a Graco (can't remember if it's metrolite or quattro? I got it at a consignment sale for $35 I think) stroller to hold the carseat for the early times and for more substantial later use, an umbrella stroller for when she's a little bigger and a BOB revolution for my running, once she's big enough for that. It's insane, isn't it? I debated long and hard about the frame stroller, and if I feel like the Graco stroller isn't working out I wouldn't rule it out.  I just refused to get 4 stroller systems, 3 even feels a little ridiculous! GL!

• Options

I know exactly how you feel!  Last week while it was slow at work, I spent my time researching strollers and felt almost as stressed as if I had actual work to do. 

My criteria seemed simple...2 strollers max, lightweight and one needed to be a jogging stroller.  I've heard great things about a BOB, but honestly I think it's too bulky for everyday use throughout the mall and too pricey just for jogging.  I too had almost decided on a Snap-n-Go to use with the Graco Safeseat, then get a MacClaren, plus a jogging stroller.  

We have not gone to play with them, but so far I'm leaning towards the Baby Jogger City Mini.  It's a full-size stroller at 17 lbs and folds us single handedly.  You can buy the conversion bar to use the infant seat which eliminates the Snap-n-Go .  And I'll just get a less expensive jogger only for running. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got a Bugaboo stroller system and LOVE it. It was crazy expensive but I justify it by the fact that my carseat (Snugride32) fits into my stroller frame. It has a bassinett for when the babe is litter and then a traditional seat for when he outgrows the Snugride. Besides the expense some people don't like the 2 part fold, but it never bothered me. I also won a McLaren umbrella stroller so I have that too but I would not have bought it had I not won it. 
  • Options

A lot of people will have different opinions but I used my travel system until 9 months and still plan to use it but I got a Maclaren for easier travel now that DD doesn't need as much in a stroller like laying down, multiple cup holders, food tray, etc. I had no issues using it either once we outgrew the snap in car seat. It is a great stroller system. I didn't find it heavy or hard to manage and it fit in my trunk of my small car. I had a Chicco Cortina and I love it. If you look around when you are out you will see a ton of people have them!

I am now using a Maclaren and I have to say it is wonderful and is easy to handle, light weight and takes up no space.  It is so much easier getting around it stores! I had spent $20 on a cheapo umbrella stroller and regret it, it was horrible. I love the features of the Maclaren like a 3 point harness and recline, plus it is taller than the cheapo one I got.

*Side note* I SAHM, so literally I use my stroller almost every day, and in the beginning it was great to be able to lay DD down flat in the travel system and she would sleep while I walked. That is something you may want to think about that may sway your choice, how often you would use it and what features would you need most.

• Options
    I was the exact same as you- I didn't want anything heavy b/c I'm a weakling. I did the snap and go frame and then a Maclaren (umbrella stroller). For about 3 months after she outgrew the snap and go, I wished I also had a larger stroller, but looking back now I'm really happy with my decision.
  • Options

Strollers are terrifying.  lol.  There are just too many options!

I got a Bumbleride Indie -- they're pricey, but completely worth it IMO.  It's super-light-weight (I think 22 lbs, if that?!) so it's easy as pie to pop in & out of my trunk.  My Chicco carseat snaps on it like a travel system, but I can also run with the Bumbleride...which gives me two strollers in one.  It's so smooth & turns on a dime.  A little bulky when I'm shopping in stores, but I'm not sure anything other than an umbrella stroller would feel slim in that scenario.  Plus, Bumbleride has amazing customer service.

I also have a Maclaren umbrella for later on. 

My best suggestion is really to get out there & try them.  for example, I thought about doing a Chicco umbrella because they're cheaper, but I kicked the back of them mercilessly.  Maclaren was the only one that allowed a long stride. 

• Options

i 2nd the recommendationof going some place and testing strollers out.  it really helped us figure out what we liked.  we ended up getting a graco metrolite at a yard sale for cheap.  so i would consider a used one if you can find one in good condition. 

that said, we've only used the stroller 3x lol.  maybe its bc i have to carry it down 5 stairs and our driveway is all sand.... but i wear him in the moby when i go on walks. its just easier to manage for me.

so my point is, you could spend alot of time/money picking out the perfect stoller and then not really use it that much.  maybe when he gets to be a little older and too heavy to wear i'll use mine more.

• Options

imagejenhum:
    I was the exact same as you- I didn't want anything heavy b/c I'm a weakling. I did the snap and go frame and then a Maclaren (umbrella stroller). For about 3 months after she outgrew the snap and go, I wished I also had a larger stroller, but looking back now I'm really happy with my decision.

Just curious: When you say she outgrew the snap and go and you wished you had a larger stroller, do you mean that she was too big for the snap and go, but too little for the Maclaren? So, you wish you had something bigger than the snap and go for that inbetween time?

• Options
    I really wanted a jogger because where I live a travel system just wasn't a practical choice I got this InStep jogger and love it, it has an attachment that fit the infant seat.  We've got an umbrella stroller for everyday stuff now.
  • Options
    imageuncjules:

Just curious: When you say she outgrew the snap and go and you wished you had a larger stroller, do you mean that she was too big for the snap and go, but too little for the Maclaren? So, you wish you had something bigger than the snap and go for that inbetween time?

Oh, she was definitely big enough for the Maclaren by the time she outgrew the snap and go, but she was still young enough to sleep out in public, plus I just had a lot more stuff to carry around for her. So it would've been nice to have a bigger stroller that she could more easily sleep in (although she's never been a big stroller sleeper, so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference), and that had more room to carry stuff. 

But after she was about a year old ( I think we stopped using the snap and go around 8-9 months), she wouldn't even think of sleeping in public anyway. And she doesn't require that much stuff anymore either, so her Maclaren is perfect for most situations.

I actually found a Graco Quattro Tour on CL for about $20 during that period, but it was SO heavy and took up so much room in my car that I only ended up using it once. If I had been able to find a Metrolite for really cheap that probably would have been nice for a few months, but I never did!

• Options
    If you are looking for a jogging stroller, the family I nanny for has a BOB revolution and I love it.  In the summer I was walking/jogging with him in the AM's.  I also use it every day when we are out and about and it doesn't bother me.  Another nanny I know has a double BOB but I think it's just way too big haha.  Also I'm a weakling also but I don't have any trouble folding the stroller up and getting it in the trunk of my Corolla.  Of course I know they are expensive...just my 2 cents.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options
    I've enjoyed my travel system with a Graco Safe Seat and Quattro tour with both girls.  I just like a bigger stroller with a lot of room to stick stuff.  I also have a smaller umbrella type stroller but if I'm going shopping or we're going some where like the zoo I always use the bigger stroller.  But it's just a personal preference! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    Alex outgrew his infant carrier by 4.5 months so the snap n go would have been pointless for us. We have the Metrolite and still use it and still love it.
  • Options

We had a Graco travel system and then went to the Maclaren umbrella stroller.  The snap n go would have pointless for us as well, because Eli did not like strolling in his carseat.  So we put him straight in the Graco stroller from day 1.  I loved having the bigger stroller to be able to lug around all our stuff.  Now that he has less stuff, the Maclaren is perfect. 

And I agree you need to go test drive them.  DH didn't want us to spend the money on the Maclaren, but after test driving all the other umbrella strollers and kicking the wheels on all of them (even me, and I'm not tall by any means), the Maclaren was the clear choice.  I don't know if my short legs just have a long stride or what, but I kicked the wheels on all of them except the Maclaren.  But it's all just personal preference, and it might depend on your baby too. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, ladies. I will be printing this out for my shopping trip. I really appreciated the tip on going to Buy Buy Baby first to test them out. I had noticed that BRU didn't have much room to test the strollers, so BBB will be a good place for a test drive.
  • Options

Like some of the PP's said, there are strong supporters of both sides of the travel system argument. We, personally, did not want one. We did the Snug Ride and stroller frame, and do not regret that decision at all! I love the stroller frame. I know it is not the norm, but we still use it occasionally because DH still has the infant seat in his car (we're getting ready to get a convertible though). But I miss using it! It was so convenient!

We got a full size stroller (City Mini by Baby Jogger), and I love it. It's not a huge stroller (it isn't an actual jogger). Like the pp's said, it's really just a personal preference. Being that you said you are a weakling, you might really benefit from the stroller frame (so lightweight--although that infant carrier + a baby can get heavy!), and a lighter weight full size stroller. 

You're welcome to test drive ours anytime! Just come on over. :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"