Houston Babies
Options

Gavin's birth story

I'm a little late, but here's Gavin's birth story.  I had my school Christmas program on Thursday Dec. 10 and afterward DH and I went to eat.  The entire time I was in the restaurant I was having horrible back pain.  When we got home I started having contractions, they were not very long, not very intense and were erratic---but I was confused because they hurt in my back, not like menstrual cramps like I was expecting.  I had them off and on until 3 a.m. and then they just stopped.  I stayed home from work and felt fine all day and was even thinking about going to my work Christmas party that evening when the contractions started again at about 7 at night.  They were more intense, but they were still in my back and hips and were pretty erratic.  We live an hour from the hospital and I was nervous about my water breaking at home so I started timing them.  At around 11:30 they had been 6 minutes apart for one hour so we drove to the hospital.  They were 5 minutes apart the entire time we were in the car and it was raining, but DH made it to the hospital in 35 minutes.  When we got to the hospital the nurse was pretty relaxed about the whole thing and seemed to think that the contractions were brought on by dehydration.  I drank tons of water and still had horrible contractions in my back and hips.  Seriously it felt like someone was prying my spine apart with a chisel.  They were going to send me home but the Dr. on call wanted to see me first so they just let me hang out.  I was dilated to a 3 (which I had been at my dr. appt. the day before) and wasn't really progressing.  I continued having contractions 5 minutes apart until about 5:00 a.m.  I was begging for my epidural but they wouldn't give me one until I was dilated to a 4.  I kept getting up to go the bathroom because it felt better in my back to sit up.  I'm glad I did because when I was in the bathroom my water broke, they had me walk down the hall to a l&d room and that was the most awful pain ever, my back was killing me.  The dr. came in at about 5:45and I had progressed to a 7 and they finally ordered my epidural.  It took an hour to get my epidural and I having such horrible back pain that I started vomiting.  At 6:45 I finally got the epidural and all was great as far as pain goes, but they started having trouble finding the heartbeat.  They had me get on my hands and knees (which was really hard with an epidural) and they figured out that the baby was sunny side up.  This explained the back labor.  They put an internal monitor on him to find the heartbeat and luckily they did.  I told my husband to go and get the camera and the nurse said "If he goes he'll miss the show!"  I had no idea that we were that close.  The dr. came in and said he'd be right back, but decided to check me first and said "we're doing this now"  There were lots of people in the room, and the nurses were telling me that the baby was giving them some excitement. I can't explain why but I was very very calm and almost knew that everything would be ok.  They got the vacuum on him and it came off, so they tried again and were able to turn him.  They told me to push and 4 pushes later he was here!  He was born at 7:21 a.m., weighed 6 lbs. 4 oz. and was 20 inches long.  Recovery was fine, and besides a touch of jaundice the baby is completely healthy.  I feel blessed that eventhough the pain was horrible and I only had the epidural for 40 minutes before delivery, I had a healthy perfect baby.  I am loving every second of being a mom. 

Re: Gavin's birth story

• Options
    Congrats, he's a cutie!!!!
  • Options
    He's adorable!!!  I'm so happy for you!
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats!  

Did it seriously take them THAT LONG to figure out he was sunny side up?   I knew that when I read your third sentence! lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    He is adorable! Congratulations on your healthy, happy baby boy.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Options
    Congratulations!!  Glad you and baby are both doing well.
  • Options

He is a cutie! ?Congrats.?

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options
    imageBritanyV:

Congrats!  

Did it seriously take them THAT LONG to figure out he was sunny side up?   I knew that when I read your third sentence! lol

How could you tell? Was it because she said she was having back labor? If that's the case, then that would also be incorrect since that pretty much all i had and DS & he was in the correct position since 30 weeks and didn't need turned. When I'd get my period the only cramping i ever had was usually in my back.

I'm curious why they made you wait until you were 4c to say you could have an epi. (you are not going to progress well if you are in terrible pain)If you weren't progressing, why not give you something to help unless you specifically asked not to. And to make you walk to L&D yourself.....not having broken your water prior to it breaking on its own, not monitoring the baby......please tell me this was all because you wanted to do it naturally... otherwise what kind of half ass hospital was this that makes it sound like your baby and your comfort were only an after thought.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congratulations and great name choice!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageRaeAnt:
    imageBritanyV:

Congrats!  

How could you tell? Was it because she said she was having back labor? If that's the case, then that would also be incorrect since that pretty much all i had and DS & he was in the correct position since 30 weeks and didn't need turned. When I'd get my period the only cramping i ever had was usually in my back.

I'm curious why they made you wait until you were 4c to say you could have an epi. (you are not going to progress well if you are in terrible pain)If you weren't progressing, why not give you something to help unless you specifically asked not to. And to make you walk to L&D yourself.....not having broken your water prior to it breaking on its own, not monitoring the baby......please tell me this was all because you wanted to do it naturally... otherwise what kind of half ass hospital was this that makes it sound like your baby and your comfort were only an after thought.

I don't necessarily think that it was a half ass hospital, but I think I had a half ass nurse.  I kept telling my husband that I felt like she thought I was overreacting and not really in labor.  She kept telling me that I was probably in false labor or very very early labor.  I was dilated to a 3 and 90% effaced when I walked into the ER--with contractions that were 5 minutes apart for over an hour.  I think that she thought I was going home which is why she wasn't worried about getting me anything for pain, I really really think she thought I was just being a baby and crying about braxton hicks contractions or something.  When my water broke she kinda freaked out and that's why I think I had to walk to the next room, I don't think she really knew what to do.  She and my husband had to practically carry me because I couldn't walk---it was awful.  Trust me it wasn't because I was trying to go natural, I made it very clear that I wanted an epidural.  I am thinking about filing a complaint against the nurse because I just think that it could have been handled better and I could have had better care.  The rest of the time in the hospital, and my l&d nurses (Gavin came right after shift change) were great.  BTW the hospital was St. Joseph in Bryan. 

• Options

I'm glad to hear it wasn't all bad. Everyone says that the nurses are what make your stay bearable and that certainly is true. It's very frustrating when you tell them one thing and they might as well be patting you on the head and treating you like a child as their response. I take it she didn't bother to hook you up to a monitor to check you contraction either? Something that would have shown you really were in labor. That seems the logical thing to have done.

My only issue was with an on-call Dr who all but ripped out my catheter when moving the bag and that was after asking me if I was also so...I can't remember the exact word she used.. but if I was always so confused as soon as she walked in the door. This was the wee hours of the morning after my c/s when I was still being drugged and half asleep.

Anyway, you have a little dollbaby there. Enjoy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"