South Jersey Babies

Virtua vs. Kennedy?

Hi all!  I'm more of a lurker than a poster (not by my choice--I hope to be able to post more soon!).

We'll be TTC towards the end of the year, and I'm researching hospitals in the interim because an OB/GYN change might be in order.  DH & I just moved to South NJ not that long ago (Camden County) and not many of our friends have had children in NJ, so we're not familiar with the hospitals in the area.

Has anyone delivered at Virtua Voorhees or Kennedy (I think that's Washington Twp) and how was your experience?  My current OB/GYN isn't affiliated with either, but luckily the other doctor in the practice is affiliated with both Virtua & Kennedy, so I won't be totally starting over again doctor-wise.  TIA!

Re: Virtua vs. Kennedy?

• My hairdresser delivered at Virtua South Jersey and loved it!  That's where I will deliver when I finally have a baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Mostly everyone I know delivered at Virtua.
  • Virtua is a baby factory. They deliver tons and tons of babies. Most everyone I know delivered there.

I delivered both girls @ Kennedy Wash and will never go anywhere else. ALL rooms are private -- no sharing. They had a remodel less than 4 years ago and everything is new. I loved all of my nurses and had a great experience both times.

Not baby related at all, but I loved that it was right next to PJ Whelihans... I got to eat great food all day! LOL. There cafeteria food might be good, but I wouldn't touch it -- I got salads from PJs the whole time.

I know many many people who delivered at Virtua and almost all of them had to share a room at some point during their stay. This is a total deal braker for me. I did not want to hear other peoples guests or have them in "my room." It was also important to me that DH stay overnight to help me and @ Virtua if you have a shared room your husband/support person CAN NOT stay overnight.

Just somethig to consider...

• I am delivery at virtua for 3 reasons

1.my OB delivers there

2.My peri is in the building

3. they have one of the highest level NICUs in SJ..It is important for me to know this kind of care is present in the hospital and the baby won't have to be transfered somewhere else if their is a problem.

• I'm not sure if you looked into it but Kennedy has a Level II NICU, brand new - just opened last year. Olivia was sick when she was born, she had a bacterial blood infection, and was hospitalized for 10 days @ Kennedy. My pedi never once suggested moving her to another hospital, they were more than able to care for her there.

I'm also glad they didn't move her because Kennedy is a lot closer to me than Virtua is. Living at the hospital for almost two weeks and having to drive back and forth to shower and stuff made me thankful that I chose the hospital closest to me. So I would take that into account as well.

If you require a Level III NICU (which Virtua has) you will probably know ahead of time.

JinsWifey is not alone in her desire to have her baby @ Virtua -- almost everyone around here does -- but I really like Kennedy. Like I said before, sharing a room was a real deal breaker for me because I wanted DH to be able to stay with me overnight. I had a vaginal delivery and still needed help getting the baby out of the bassinett so I could breastfeed in the middle of the night -- I have no clue how I would have done it alone, especially if I had to have a c-section.

It all depends on what is the deal breaker for YOU.

Also, it looks like someone responded to this post on the SJ Nest board so you can see her answer over there.

• Gah, sharing a room.  Did NOT anticipate that.  And I'm not the best room sharer, lol.

Youaremyiloveyou, thanks so much for the info.  And thaks for directing me over to the Nest.

Thanks again, ladies.  Looks like I have a lot of homework to do Big Smile

• For next time :)  --

Virtua is building the new hospital and they told me that there won't be room sharing there.  I think it's opening 2011.

• As long as you dont go to Underwood youll be ok
  • My sister was in Kennedy for 3 days before delivery my niece at 33 weeks and I can't say enough good things about ALL of the nurses.  My niece has been in their NICU and they are great and she is doing so good.....I always thought I would choose Virtua but I'm all for Kennedy now
  • I was real nervous about this too bc I thought Kennedy was not a good hospital, but everyone that I talked to that delivered there loved it. I have a doctor, who I love, and I didn't want to lose her, but she is affiliated with Kennedy. I am over my fear now. Has anyone delivered there, and what were your experiences?
  • Virtua is awesome. They may deliver a lot of babies, but they know what they are doing and you never feel like a number. Nurses were awesome and lets face it, it's the nurses that make you feel comfortable when you are there. Loved them!
  • Oh, and they told me it's pretty rare to share a room at Virtua. I never had to share and I was there for 3 days total.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"