North Carolina Babies

First time mother to be

I was married two years ago to my wonderful husband, we tried and we conceived a baby shortly after which we lost at 8 weeks.  Two years later we started to sort of try again which we conceived. I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks. Yes it's possible. First u/s was at 5 weeks where we found out we were expecting twins! So it has been a very stressful couple of months trying to fathom the idea of two but also trying not to worry about the possibility of losing both. Needless to say I'm at week 11 and am ready for this trimester to be over with; along with the nausea!  But for many mothers and fathers where do you start preparing? Is it too soon? I guess I don't want to jinx myself and am afraid to buy anything for the babies.  Silly, I know.

Re: First time mother to be

• I have no idea, just wanted to say congratulations.
  • Congratulations! That is wonderful news! Just relax and enjoy yourself for now. You have plenty of time for all the preparations. I thinks I started preparing the nursery, put together a registry, etc, around 20-22 weeks. Best wishes!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!

I know that it is SO HARD to enjoy yourself while pregnant after a loss. It probably took me about 20 weeks to really be like, "OK, I am pregnant ... and she's not going anywhere ..." I had so much anxiety in my pregnancy b/c of my losses, too. The best advice I can give you is to try and put those fears aside and truly enjoy your pregnancy. When you start feeling movement, just embrace those kicks and nudges and feeling the baby move around. I really regret not enjoying my pregnancy more (b/c when I think back about it, I LOVED it, despite having m/s the full 9 months), but I was always so scared and anxious something would happen.

• Congrats! I hope your pregnancy is stress free.

I also didn't start planning or buying anything until around 20 weeks. I did not buy anything at all. That's not to say that you can't but you will be surprised at how much you can get done those last 20 weeks, plus waiting until you have had any showers, etc. before you buy a ton of stuff is important. Once I started buying I couldn't stop! You can start researching now, get Baby Bargains (the latest addition) and read as much as you can online, window shop for furniture, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats times 2!!  I'm probably the opposite of the other ladies, and I started trying to get prepared as soon as I felt up to it, so probably around 14ish weeks.  I had awful awful awful morning sickness both times (like had to be hospitalized).  But, when I was pregnant with the twins, I knew that there was a chance of bedrest, so I wanted to be completely ready.  I think I did my registry around 15/16 weeks, and started paitning the nursery around 20 weeks.  My shower was at like 24 weeks because it was out of town and I was already so miserable I knew I wouldn't travel anymore after that.  I was completely ready for the girls arrival by like 28/29 weeks, and I was SO glad for that.  The last few weeks I was miserable and was grateful for the chance to just relax.

I think you're ok to start thinking about ideas and planning...never too early start!  

Congrats again! :) 

• i'm a rareity i think in that we actually bought our crib the day after we found out we were pg. obviously that's not something most people would recommend bc what if something happend and then you have a crib ya know?  but we did anyway because it was a steal.  i mean a steal!!! 

anyway, if you want to go ahead and buy things, do it.  but like pp said, don't go overboard bc you want to leave some stuff for your shower!

• Congratulations on your twins!  How exciting!  :)

I waited until after we had our big ultrasound to do any shopping.  Other than our crib & furniture, we didn't get much until after we had our showers.  You have plenty of time, but if you are ready to start preparing, then go for it!  Have fun!

• Congratulations!  I also found out with my first pg around 3w5d but I didn't start buying or planning anything until I was out of my 1st trimester.  Then I started researching the items I wanted to buy, put together a registry etc.  I probably had all that done by the time I got to 22 weeks just because I'm a big planner.  Enjoy
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations!  I also found out with my first pg around 3w5d but I didn't start buying or planning anything until I was out of my 1st trimester.  Then I started researching the items I wanted to buy, put together a registry etc.  I probably had all that done by the time I got to 22 weeks just because I'm a big planner.  Enjoy your
  • Congratulations!  I also found out with my first pg around 3w5d but I didn't start buying or planning anything until I was out of my 1st trimester.  Then I started researching the items I wanted to buy, put together a registry etc.  I probably had all that done by the time I got to 22 weeks just because I'm a big planner.  Enjoy your pg!
  • Congrats!!! how exciting to be pregnant with twins. There is another mom on this board that is pregnant with twins but I think she's a lil further along then you are. (jeannaqueena)  I didnt register or anything until We had the big u/s around 18 weeks and found out what we were having!! we didnt buy anythign much until after the showers which is good because we got almost everythign we registered for!!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Congrats! I didn't start buying things and working on the nursery until I was 20 weeks along. I did start reading Baby Bargains right away. If goes by so fast.  .  .enjoy it! I hope your morning sickness goes away soon!
  • Congrats - so exciting! I definitely got through the first tri before really getting into any hard-core reading and planning/preparing. I waited until our big u/s (18 weeks I think it was) to do the registry. In the first tri for me, it was more I didn't have the energy to really investigate nursery beddings and whatnot due to m/s and just general fatigue. Fun stuff. You have plenty of time in the 2nd to do that stuff!

• imageMrsHughesNC:
    Congratulations! That is wonderful news! Just relax and enjoy yourself for now. You have plenty of time for all the preparations. I thinks I started preparing the nursery, put together a registry, etc, around 20-22 weeks. Best wishes!

Ditto! and CONGRAUTLATIONS!!!!

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Congrats on the twins!  How exciting!  We didn't do much til about 18 weeks, when we found out she was a she!  I was very impatient though.  But it was worth it.  Got a lot done between 18 and 25 weeks, then my first shower at 26 weeks.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • To All: Thanks for the replys it made me teary eyed reading through all of them! Thank you hormones. Glad to get outta the 1st T. Excited now that the nerves have gone away. I am slowly starting to feel them move and that makes me feel much better. Again thank you to all that posted!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"