Working Moms

WAHM - Communicating to manager about pregnancy

I work full time from home, and my manager lives in a different state than I do, so I do not see her or talk to her very often - I've also only reported to her for a few months, so I don't feel like I "know" her that well - she is very hands off, and I have the type of job where as long as I am getting my work done and there are no issues, there is not a lot of communication. 

Next week, I plan to tell her that I am expecting baby #2.  Any thoughts on how I should go about this?  Should I set up a more formal conference call to tell her, or put it in writing in email and then call her to discuss?  Or do you think putting it in writing at this point is overkill?

I'm probably more paranoid than I should be, however shortly after telling my manager at my former company that I was pregnant with DS, my workload was gradually decreased and I was laid off at the beginning of my third tri.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks! 

Re: WAHM - Communicating to manager about pregnancy

• Hi- I also WFH and pregnant with my first. That is aweful about what happened with your former job. If face to face is not an option, I would do the conf call. I have tried to come in for big meeting as much as as possible, but with my former boss, I told him on the phone, because I didn't want him to hear through the grapevine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was pg with DD, I worked part time from home for my remote employer (it was continuing a job I used to do in an office full time, after I moved out of state).  Since my supervisor and I communicated exclusively by email, I told him by email...it honestly didn't occur to me to do otherwise.  One thing that might be a little different is maternity leave arrangements, though (I didn't have benefits, although they were voluntarily extended to me for 6 weeks)...might be easier to call, in that you can talk about that at the same time (email might be more awkward).

That stinks about your last experience!  

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a WAHM and pregnant with my first. I've reported to my boss for 2 years (it's a male boss, but he's very approachable even about this) and we live in different states.  I think if you are telling others on your team, then you should tell your boss around the same time.  Do you have a regularly scheduled touch base or check in call? Do it at the end of that kind of call, in my opinion.  Then set up a second, more formal meeting toward the middle or end of your 2nd trimester to work out the details of your maternity leave and coverage.
  • Oops I guess I am soon to be WAHM - I just work at home but I'm no one's mother yet LOL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"