Houston Babies

NT Scan? Did you/would you do it?

I am right in the time frame for doing the NT scan, have to get it done by next Thursday if we're going to do it.  Should I?  What are the benefits?  Is there any real reason to do it? It is covered by insurance so cost isn't a factor in deciding.  Just curious why people are doing it and hoping it helps me decide if we should.

Re: NT Scan? Did you/would you do it?

• We did it.  I am type A and if something were to have been wrong, I would have wanted to know and be prepared before he came.  Fortunately C was great.

Plus, it was a fun u/s to be able to see something that looked like an actual baby - being my first and all.

• we didn't do it for either kid..  My Dr. does an u/s at every visit, so I didn't feel like I needed to do it "just to see the baby again"...  Honestly, I have/had enough stress in my life and would not do an amnio so I didn't see the point.  It would have been covered. I just didn't see the point in a "probablilty test"..  I know way too many people that felt pressured into more testing after doing it because of the "probability of a problem"
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't do it because a friend of mine had a lot of stress through her pregnancy with her high risk result and ultimately ended up having a son with no chromosomal abnormalities.  I did struggle with the decision but was so unsure about how I would have handled the decision of doing later diagnostic testing such as an amnio, that I ultimately decided not to.  I figure I will likely have to do an amnio on #2 or 3 depending upon my age when we get that party started, but it will be out of my hands to make a decision at that point.
  • We had it done.  We wanted the peace of mind that everything looked normal and the extra ultrasound.  If something were to be wrong, we would have wanted to know anyway to be prepared.  We would have never terminated though. 
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCajun_gal:
    We had it done.  We wanted the peace of mind that everything looked normal and the extra ultrasound.  If something were to be wrong, we would have wanted to know anyway to be prepared.  We would have never terminated though. 

This is why we wonder if we should do it.  We wouldn't terminate either.

We had an ultrasound this morning and I've already had 4 others so far this pregnancy (and I'm only 12 weeks).  I will have one every 4 weeks for the rest of my pregnancy due to a complication I have so we don't feel the need/desire for another ultrasound.  I am so torn on whether it's worth it do have it done.  

• I didn't do it because I had enough to worry about during the pregnancy and didn't want to worry that there is something wrong with the baby on top of that.  It would probably only make all my conditions worst worrying...

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • imageKelleyA:

imageCajun_gal:
    We had it done.  We wanted the peace of mind that everything looked normal and the extra ultrasound.  If something were to be wrong, we would have wanted to know anyway to be prepared.  We would have never terminated though. 

This is why we wonder if we should do it.  We wouldn't terminate either.

We had an ultrasound this morning and I've already had 4 others so far this pregnancy (and I'm only 12 weeks).  I will have one every 4 weeks for the rest of my pregnancy due to a complication I have so we don't feel the need/desire for another ultrasound.  I am so torn on whether it's worth it do have it done.  

I guess it depends on whether you'd really like to be prepared if there's a problem, which there probably isn't.  Would you have an amnio if the probability was high?  If you wouldn't, and you'd be stressed over a possibility of a problem for the rest of the pregnancy, then I wouldn't have the NT scan. 

After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We didn't for several reasons.  1. Our Dr. said that IVF pregnancies have a higher risk of false positives 2. We weren't going to terminate 3. I was considered high risk at first so we had many U/S so I just didn't feel it was necessary for us.  We didn't do the 4D ultrasound either.
  • We did have it done. We both work and I plan to continue working after the baby arrives. Should there have been an issue that would have changed that, we would have needed to make alternative arrangments and preparations.

And, we don't get an U/S every visit, so it was nice to see LO and see them on a high-powered scan. It was amazing to see brain hemispheres, the spine, etc. when they were that tiny.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also wanted to add that I had LOTS of ultrasounds (almost every week or so during the first tri) and because I skipped the NT Scan, my Dr would show me positive signs of a healthy baby during my "rountine ultrasounds" (i.e. nasal bone, a nice good forearm, etc..)
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • We're not doing it...false "positives" (not entirely correct,since we're talking probabilities/ratios) are common, and we would not elect to do further testing (such as an amnio), so the worry factor wasn't worth it.

• We didn't with DS and won't do it if we have any future children.  We opted out of any optional testing.  For all the reasons everyone has listed. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • We did it with Gabriel (it was not offered with Joshua) because we just wanted another look at the baby.  We didn't get lot's of U/S, so an extra look with a high resolution scan was cool.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've told this before:

I did it because I felt it important to be prepared. It is an assessment not a test - so they are going to tell you what your risk factor is so you can decide if you need further testing (amnio).

My brother's first son was born with a genetic disorder (cystic fibrosis) that was not screened for at the time. It was very difficult for him and his wife to get through that at the birth of their child. Preparation would have helped tremendously and for many stressful years to come.

For me, it is about opportunity to prepare for a child who requires special care. I screened both pregnancies.

• We didn't because I knew that I would not terminate and I would not have an amnio.  I didn't want to have it come back positive and have to worry for the rest of my pregnancy.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • We opted not to.  Our reasoning was that if something showed up "wrong" or worrisome there wasn't anything we would do differently--except worry and stress out for the following 20-some-odd weeks. 
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • imagelilycat:

For me, it is about opportunity to prepare for a child who requires special care.

I agree with this.  However, everything turned out fine.  I guess I never really thought of the possibility of them telling me that I could choose to get an amnio (if the risk was deemed high).  I think I wouldn't get the amnio, though - since there is in increased chance of m/c just in the test alone.  It would just make me be prepared at birth - just in case. 

Also, I hadn't thought about it - but another pp made a good point.  If you both work, and you will need to consider special arrangements, best to prepare earlier rather than later.  Maybe if I was a SAHM, it wouldn't matter as much (since the care-taking would already be planned).

• We did it. Ditto some of the previous posters, I would never terminate but would want to be prepared should something have come up abnormal, especially because we both work and have no family in the state.

It's also another chance to see the baby (my Dr. only does other ultrasounds at 8 wks and 20 wks).  :-).

I did not do it with Grant because at that time it was not standard at Kelsey Seybold.

• I did it and never actually thought about not. My Dr just told me it was going to happen at a visit and I just tend to go with what my Dr says since I trust him. I never thought twice about it.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had one - my doc encouraged it and seeing as I work for her, I really trust her. Plus I am totally Type A as well and wanted to be prepared.  It also really put my mind at ease when we got the results back because I would have been worrying if I had not done the test.  :) 
  • Like many of the pp said, we wanted to be prepared and informed should anything have come up in the scan.  It was nice to have the detailed ultrasound and gave me a little more peace of mind during my pregnancy after we got good results.

• I opted for the NT scan during my first pregnancy and it led to an amnio, for all the reasons stated by Lilycat. I needed a definitive test that gave definitive results after my scan showed a higher than normal risk of Down Syndrome. I wanted to know so I could emotionally and mentally prepare myself for having a baby with special needs. It's a very personal decision. I never gave a thought to amniocentesis and then I ended up having the procedure done with both pregnancies.

• We are having our NT scan next Monday.  The main reasons why we decided to get it done were that, as you mentioned, it's covered by the insurance so there's no extra cost, and you get an extra ultrasound.  But, for you, concidering that you are already getting frequent ultrasounds, then it might not be worth the extra stress for you.  In your case, I would vote no.  Good luck and best wishes! 

By the way, our due dates are very close!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebhostmeyer:

We are having our NT scan next Monday.  The main reasons why we decided to get it done were that, as you mentioned, it's covered by the insurance so there's no extra cost, and you get an extra ultrasound.  But, for you, concidering that you are already getting frequent ultrasounds, then it might not be worth the extra stress for you.  In your case, I would vote no.  Good luck and best wishes! 

By the way, our due dates are very close!

We are indeed close in due dates!  Thanks for your input!

• I scheduled one because I want to know and be prepared if there's anything amiss, as well.  I'm such a heavy researcher, I want to be able to know. We won't worry unless something comes up really amiss, but since I'm already 36 I'm just more comfortable seeing what is said.

We get plenty of ultrasounds right now because of the bleeding, so I don't necessarily need another look, but I still want to know. I can be type A with contingency plans. 

imageimage

• We didn't. Didn't feel like it was a need for us so I passed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"