Houston Babies

BF moms who eliminated dairy

Tell me about your experience with this:

- How old was your baby when you decided to try it?

- What prompted you to do it?  Did certain symptoms lead you to believe your baby had more than normal infant fussiness?  Did you consider reflux?

- Did you see a difference?  How soon?

- What exactly did you eliminate, and what did you replace those items with?  For instance, did you use soy or rice milk for cereal?

Re: BF moms who eliminated dairy

• I haven't dealt with this, but wanted to say you should try posting on the Breastfeeding board.  I've seen a lot of posts related to this same topic over there!  And everyone over there has been very helpful with my BFing questions! GL
  • With first son:

- 4 or 5 mos. of age

- He was fussing and crying a lot and doc thought we should try elimination before other courses including reflux

- I eliminated obvious dairy and soy for him (obvious dairy=dairy you can see like milk, cheese, etc. vs. non-obvious dairy=butter in cookies, etc.)

Second son:

- right away after he was born I eliminated dairy; I didn't want to go through that fussiness again

- reason was that first son had issues and did not want to start experiment with second son

- I eliminated obvious dairy again; I eat soy milk which does not seem to bother him

• Loading the player...
  • imagejeneric04:

Tell me about your experience with this:

- How old was your baby when you decided to try it?

- What prompted you to do it?  Did certain symptoms lead you to believe your baby had more than normal infant fussiness?  Did you consider reflux?

- Did you see a difference?  How soon?

- What exactly did you eliminate, and what did you replace those items with?  For instance, did you use soy or rice milk for cereal?

DS1:

he was about 2 months old when he was diagnosed with reflux and put on prevacid, even though he was missing some of the main reflux symptoms. after almost 3 weeks on prevacid there was no difference and i posted to my moms' group about it. i was told to try and eliminate dairy and i did. it made a huge difference.

the symptoms were extreme gassiness and general discomfort. relfux, see above.

i saw a difference after about 6 days even though it can take up to about 2 weeks.

DS2:

i eliminated dairy at about 3 weeks. i gave it a go just to see but he had the same fussiness and gas issues. i think b/c i caught it early, i could already tell the difference after 3 days.

like lilycat, i eliminated only obvious dairy to start and that was enough. no cheese, milk, cream, milk products.

believe it or not, you probably do not eat as much dairy as you think you do! the hardest part for me was treats- ice cream and cheese for a snack or reward. i don't really like soy milk so i went with a lactose free milk. i didn't love that either, so for breakfast i would have soy yogurt with granola mixed in or something like over easy eggs with bacon if we went out. waffles were another fave. dinner was also easy since we eat pretty much a protein, grain and veg for dinner 9 nights out of 10.

lunch was hard b/c i hated leaving cheese off my sandwiches. i missed pizza and mexican food (i would order fajitas) but i always say, it was a lot like being on weight watchers. it actually helped my PP weight loss and when i could go back on dairy it came to a screeching halt. lol.

with both boys, i was back on full dairy at 7 mos. i chalk that up to their systems maturing and the introduction of solids helping to beef them up. even though he had the lactose allergy as a baby, truitt has no issues with milk or milk products now.

if you need meal ideas, page me or email me and i will be happy to tell you about what a week looked like for me with no milk products. :)

• Thank you for all of the advice!!  I think it's going to be hard - you should see our cheese drawer - but hopefully it will work and be worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"