D.C. Area Babies
Options

Pumping qs

I plan to breastfeed and was wondering when I should start pumping and stockpiling a freezer supply.  Also, does anyone have any advice on choosing between freestyle and pump in style?

TIA!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pumping qs

• Options

Are you going back to work?  If so, I'd imagine you would need to start pumping a lot sooner than if you are not returning.  I SAH with DD, and I used my pump for the first time when she was two weeks old so we could go out to dinner for my bday.  Some weeks I would pump about once/day, and some weeks would go by where I wouldn't pump at all. 

I have the pump in style and thought it worked great (and plan to use it with the next one).  I did have issues with the tubes getting moldy, but a quick trip to a local lactation consultant to pick up some new ones was all I had to do (you can also call Medela and they'll send you new ones for free). 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options

i pumped early on because of some serious cracking issues, but I don't think i started to build a freezer stash until about 4 weeks. you don't really need more than a feeding or two until you go back to work, though. i was just paranoid that my supply would plummet when i went back, so i started hoarding it!

it was always difficult for me to fit in a pumping session during the day when i was home with C, so i started pumping every night before bed. it took a few days for my body to respond and pump enough for a full feeding, but it worked.i still do it every night and all of that goes in to my freezer or to supplement what i pump during the day at work if i come up short.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageeeclem:

i pumped early on because of some serious cracking issues, but I don't think i started to build a freezer stash until about 4 weeks. you don't really need more than a feeding or two until you go back to work, though. i was just paranoid that my supply would plummet when i went back, so i started hoarding it!

it was always difficult for me to fit in a pumping session during the day when i was home with C, so i started pumping every night before bed. it took a few days for my body to respond and pump enough for a full feeding, but it worked.i still do it every night and all of that goes in to my freezer or to supplement what i pump during the day at work if i come up short.

I totally agree. I panicked early and didn't need to. Even pumping an extra time a day for the week before you go back to work should give you plenty for the first day, and then you will be pumping what the baby will need the following day. I also added in a bedtime pumping which built my stash. I ended up with an oversupply so a pretty big stash, but there is a whole range of normal, so don't expect to get a big freezer stash and then be disappointed. I really liked my pump in style and found it performed just as well as a hospital rental. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I started pumping around 5 weeks one time a day, first thing in the morning.  I still pump first thing in the morning and 3 times a day on the days I work.  At this point I have never needed to use any of my frozen milk.  I have a deep chest freezer 3/4 full!  I'll probably start using it when she's closer to a year old so I won't have to pump so much at work.  I have an Ameda Purely Yours double pump and it works great.  Actually I have two because I keep one at work.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    I started pumping at about 4 weeks so that we could start offering DS a bottle.  I would pump once a day or so until I went back to work.  I pump three times a day at work.  And I've actually almost depleted my freezer stash.  He has 3 bottles a day at day care and I also use breastmilk for his cereal.  I am hoping to cut back to 2 pumping sessions at work in the next few weeks.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would also recommend rotating your freezer supply once you go back  to work.  Your milk is formulated for your child's current needs, so you may not want to give milk you pumped at 2 months when the baby is 7-8 months old.  I freeze my friday milk and then giveolder frozen milk on mondays to help rotate the supply.  Once you get into a rhythm it gets easier pumping at work.  Good luck!  By the way, I have the Lansinoh pump (same as the Ameda Purely yours) and it is great! 

-K

• Options

we had issues so I had to start pumping very early - DD was not even a week old, I had to pump and supplement. I stopped supplementing within a few days though and did not really build up a good supply till i went back to work. But I always made sure I had at least 2 feedings' worth in the fridge or freezer.

I loved my Medela pump-in-style

• Options
    I started pumping when DD was a few days old since she wasn't latching.  So I was pumping up to 10 times a day until 12 weeks, when she finally figured breastfeeding out.  So I hope you are as lucky as most other pps who said they didn't start for several weeks.  Also, I had some frozen when I started back to work, but assumed I would pump one day what was needed the next.  DD ate a lot more at daycare than at home (even when DH was giving her bottles) so even though I was producing the same and it satisfied her on the weekends when she was nursing, they said she was miserable at daycare so I had to start supplementing since I couldn't keep up with what I was pumping.  Also my supply declined over time.  So, I am glad I started pumping early, so I was able to make it to a year (14 months actually) with breastfeeding at least some of the time.  Good luck and don't stress about it, it can consume you.  Just be prepared. 
  • Options

I started pumping when DD was about 5 weeks old to get her used to the bottle, but I didn't build enough of a stash. (I pumped but not often enough).  DD drank significantly more from the bottle than the breast so I always needed more when she drank pumped milk.  I ended up supplementing soon after returning to work and continued to do so until I stopped pumping at 12 months. 

I have the Freestyle - it's great.  Love how small it is and rechargable battery. 

• Options
    I recommend holding off on the pump purchase until your supply is established around 3 weeks pp - you can always rent a hospital grade if needed.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"