Alabama Babies
Options

If You Formula Feed

Did you have to change your baby's formula?  If so, did you decide or your doctor? 

JH is still very fussy.  Last night he screamed for 2 hours straight.  I think it is gas.  We burp him with no problems but I can apply pressure to his stomach and it will soothe him.  Also, last night after he let out one big burp 2 hours after he ate, he calmed down and went to sleep.  I really think we may need to switch to a gentler formula.  I figure it can't hurt.  He doesn't seem to have the signs of acid reflux and I'm getting desperate.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: If You Formula Feed

• Options

Our doctor wouldn't let us change and honestly things have calmed down.

As annoying as it is to hear this, most babies fuss for a couple of hours in the evening, and it's totally normal.  I hate myself for saying that, because I hated hearing it.  Blergh!  It's called the 'witching hour' and it occurs at different times in the evening for different babies, but it's very normal.  All you can do is swaddle, do the football hold to put pressure on the belly, and sway/sing/shush -- whatever it takes for you not to lose your mind.  Payton will be 7 weeks tomorrow and this has almost completely gone away with us now -- she still has a fussy night occasionally.

We've learned with Payton that we have to burp her much more frequently when she was smaller even if she's still sucking hard.  And now that she's bigger, even if she burps really big, we know there's still one more lurking -- so we keep patting (sometimes for up to 15 minutes afterward!) and she almost always lets out a second one which definitely helps.

Find the Happiest Baby on the Block video on YouTube to learn the 5 S's (the rest of the book is just fluff and a waste of $$) and you'll be set!

Hang in there, Mama!

• Options
    Grace was very fussy and gassy on the regular formula.  Our pedi gave us a sample of Enfamil Gentlease and it was almost instant relief.  Our pedi said that generic formula was equal to name brand, so we always bought Target or Sam's.  She stayed on Gentlease until we transitioned to whole milk at a year.  She didn't have any problems transitioning either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we came home from the hospital we were on Lactofree and it made Aidan constipated.  I switched to Lipil Premium at around 3 weeks.  It helped his constipation but we had to change to AR for spitting. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I want to add that we didn't have any issues with spitting or constipation!  We just had a fusser in the evenings!
  • Options

We had been on Enfamil Lipil Premium, but we were having trouble with spitting so my pedi told me to switch to Enfamil A.R. or said I could buy the Target brand that is equivalent.  It has helped a ton. 

Also when I read Secrets of the Baby Whisperer I learned that I was missing her cues for certain things, or I was misinterpreting them.  Putting her on the EASY schedule really straightened things out for us and now she is way less fussy...pretty much only gets that way if I accidentally miss a cue like when she's sleepy.  

• Options

We changed to Similac Sensitive because Allie had reflux and gas.  We then tried Enfamil Gentlease, but she REFUSED to drink it, so we went back to the Sensitive. 

I would also suggest trying Mylecon drops (we use the Target or Publix brands.)  You can use them as soon as they're born...they were a life saver for us!   We find the formula to be pretty bubbly in bottles, so we always put it in bottles too.  It gets rid of the bubbles, and prevents the gas.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I did a LOT of research and switched DD's formula almost as soon as she was discharged from the NICU.  I informed my pedi of the switch, rather than asking if it was okay.  She had very clear signs of a milk sensitivity and my concerns were brushed aside in the NICU in favor of "the way we do things."  Her reflux and my severe allergies were also a concern so I did what I thought was best.  Her "colic" and gas disappeared, her reflux improved dramatically and her eczema cleared up.

I usually do enough research that I KNOW what I want to try by the time I see the pedi...I'm the same way with my dogs and our vet :-)

• Options

My best friend's pedi was not listening to her concerns....so she switched her twins formula....and it helped in just a day or two!  She also uses gripe water and the mylicon drops if they have bouts of being really gassy!

I will add that if you find a formula that works for your little one.....Target makes generic forms of most major formulas!  They are soooooo much cheaper....and just as good :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I picked up some mylicon at Target.  I've also started stirring the formula to mix it instead of shaking it.  He still has a lot of gas, but it has been much more manageable since doing those two things.  I'm going to write down his eating/burping/spit up/gas issues and see if there is some sort of pattern. 

Thanks again.  It's so great to have other Moms to vent to and get advice.

• Options

We mix her formula in a Tupperware shaker bottle (it holds 16 oz and we have two) and store it in the fridge -- that gives it time for all the air bubbles to get out by the time we need it and that has helped us a lot.  Then we just microwave for 18 seconds for a 4 oz bottle and that makes it just luke warm.

What kind of bottle are you using?  We had to switch to Playtex drop ins to help squeeze out all the air and that also made a huge difference for us.  She still gulps a lot which is where most of her gas comes from, but the bottles helped immensely.  When she starts gulping, we just gently pull the nipple out of her mouth and talk to her/shush her and then put it back in when she calms down.  We also give her Mylicon before every feeding and that helps.

It also helps us to burp her every ounce.  In the beginning we burped every half ounce.  It makes feedings long, but it will help as well!

Hang in there Mama!

• Options
    I agree with MrsB on the burping thing...we had issues with Aubrey gulping and hence getting lots of air leading to bad gas.  So we started burping her every half ounce at first and then graduated to every ounce.  She got over the gulping thing at about 8-9 weeks so now we can burp her halfway through and then again after she is done.  Hang in there...over time it does get better :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"