Blended Families
Options

Tax question. WWYD?

This isn't an issue this year (or at least I don't think it is), but I just wonder how all of you would react.

If there are 2 kids involved and it is agreed that each parent claims one child on taxes, what happens when the one parent doesn't file taxes?

In our situation, both children were claimed under one parent, but does the one parent keep all money or should the money claimed for the one child be given to the other parent regardless?

Again, just seeing what you ladies would do. You can put yourself on either side of the situation. This, again, is just out of curiosity.

Re: Tax question. WWYD?

• Options

I would say, too bad if you don't file, then you don't get those benefits of filing.  Period. 

If you know their not filing, why not just claim both on yours?  And no, I would not give them the $ from filing for the other child.  No way.  If they want the money - they need to file. End of story.

• Options
    According to the terms of our divorce, I claim the children for tax purposes.  I do not share my tax refund with my ex. I don't care if he files his taxes or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say if the other person doesn't file they get nothing. I think that it needs to be worked out that the person that claims the child gets the money. Trying to share the benefit of a dependent would be very tricky because all of the tax return isn't because of the dependent. The amount of the return also depends on how much taxes you have paid throughout the year, so if one person pays a lot more then has to split the refund of THEIR money, that wouldn't be fair. 
  • Options
    We had this the last few years... BM is allowed to file SD on her taxes but the lazy piece of youknowwhat doesnt have a job (nor has she ever held one longer than 2 weeks).  We offered to file SD on our taxes and then split the money, but she says "no"  I dont think she understands that we can file and split it... or she just does it just to be able to have the power.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If one parent chooses not to file taxes, that parent shouldn't expect to get any benefit from a tax refund.

What someone would choose to do out of kindness is up to them.

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    This was our situation last year. We filed claiming both since BM did not file at all. She was all sorts of pisssssssssssssed that we didn't give her anything.
  • Options

Why didn't she file? I say, tough patootie's.  Why should she benefit when she's not even willing to make an effort on her part to do what is her responsibility??

Crazy.

• Options
    imagej+k:

Why didn't she file? I say, tough patootie's.  Why should she benefit when she's not even willing to make an effort on her part to do what is her responsibility??

Crazy.

I really have no idea why she didn't file. She works at a bar and gets paid under the table, but even so, she'd still claim for other purposes as far as I know. I have no idea if she will file this year. Her circumstances haven't changed.

• Options

Originally, we'd each claim one child and then alternate the third for taxes. 

Then BF got behind about $12k in CS, and defaulted on our agreement to pay it back again.  DH suggested that he give up claiming the boys on taxes since he had "no way to ever catch that up" and BF agreed.

PHOTOS REMOVED

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"