Health & Exercise
Options

Riddle me this..A weight loss question...

I have 1. Changed my diet to include fruits & veggies instead of ice cream & french fries, have eaten a salad with vinaigrette dressing and almonds instead of croutons everyday, had a lean meat, & a healthy carb at every meal, 2. I have worked out for an ENTIRE week, even after work...elliptical and/or pilates for 20-40 minutes. Why is it that I have put on weight rather than lost? If it's muscle tone I say bull because the changing of my diet should have been enough to loose at least a pound or 2 in a week. So frustrating...any ideas?

Re: Riddle me this..A weight loss question...

• Options

Well, I know the body starts out wanting to hold onto weight.  Mine takes about two weeks to reliquish it, then I lose like 5 all of the sudden.  Also, counting calories sucks bit butts, but has helped me. 

I was doing sooo good tell DH decided it would be fun to start bringing home deserts from work.  GRRR

• Options
    Do you measure? If not I'd highly suggest you do that. I measure/weigh on the same day every month. When I lost weight a few years ago in the first month I only lost 3 lbs (yes, in an entire month) but I lost several inches.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Make sure you are drinking water too. Also, if it's only been a week you need to keep at it. I am NOT a patient person! Although, losing weight is just something you need to be paitent and persistant with. It sounds like you are doing great though and have an awesome plan!

I am going to weight and measuer myself once a week on the same day and right after I wake up (and after going potty). I can't do this until I find my scale though. Me moved almost 5 months ago and I still haven't found it!

• Options
    1st of all, you've only been at it for a week or two.  I agree you should be counting calories, having a lean meat and carb at every meal might by a bit much.  Also, cardio is what sheds lbs and weights are what develops muscle, so I'd up the  time on the elliptical and add some strength training a few days a week, pilates are great for toning, but if you have too much fat over your muscles, you won't see much change
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    If you don't usually exercise, the extra calories you are burning could be making you quite hungry, and you may be eating as much as before, calorie wise, even if it's better stuff. You should track what you are eating.
  • Options
    its water you retain it for the first week or so
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • Options
    I would watch how much you are restricting calories if you are really only eating what you say you are eating.  If you restrict too much, your body thinks that you are startinv and you won't lose weight.  You might want to try Weight Watchers or something similiar to be sure you are eating enough and lose weight sensibly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

An entire week? Give yourself a break! Track your calories on a site like Sparkpeople to make sure you're not overdoing it even on your new healthier diet. Too many calories (regardless of source) + not enough exercise = weight gain.

• Options

Just want to throw this out there -- I refuse to weigh myself for the first 2 weeks of a new diet/workout. It only serves to disappoint and discourage me.

Instead, I enjoy the feeling of taking responsibility for my own health-- regardless of how much weight I lose initially. Because the weight *will* go away with time :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"