D.C. Area Babies
Options

4 weeks and counting...now what

So the nursery is a mess of shower gifts and unassembled playstations and I have no perspective on what I actually need to be ready to go on d-day.

Our crib is put together, as well as dresser and bookshelves.  Stroller is assembled but we still need to install car seat and have it inspected.  How many diapers should I have on hand? wipes? washed clothes? linens? safety and health kits? pump supplies? 

HELPTongue Tied

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4 weeks and counting...now what

• Options
    I would make an appointment to get your carseat inspected as soon as you are able since you may not be able to get an appointment immediately.  As far as diapers go, I made sure that we had a box of newborn and size one ready to go (good thing since he was 9lb, 5oz and only wore the newborns for a few days:)).  We got a big box of the costco wipes and I highly recommend them- they are great!  I would have some newborn and three month items washed and ready to go but wouldn't necessarily wash everything.  Leaving tags on some items in case they don't actually fit and need to be returned is a good thing.  We had a couple of pnp sheets on hand as well.  As far as pumping goes, you may want to get a couple of different sizes in the breast shields- I have a medela pump and the standard size that it comes with was too small and made pumping uncomfortable until I realized what the issue was.  Good luck!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is what I would do to prepare:

1.  Get car seat installed and inspected.

2.  Set up bassinet in your room (assuming baby will sleep in your room for the first month or two).  If you plan to use the crib immediately, have sheets washed and set up (although I don't know anyone that I can think of who used their crib right away...DD slept in our room in her bassinet for about 8 weeks).

3.  Get a basket or bin and fill it with the following:  Advil and Tylenol (for immediately after hospital release, to help with cramping and vaginal tear pain), chapstick, Itzbeen (we LOVED this thing and used it all day every day for the first six weeks), nipple cream and pads (assuming you are going to nurse), burp cloths, aspirator (we also had a winter baby, and we had to suction out her nose daily), baby nail clippers, thermometer, gas drops, and anything else you will need to be comfy.  

I carried this basket from room to room when we moved around for the first few months.  It was so helpful to not have to look for things I knew I would need a lot.  I'd also toss a few granola bars and a large water bottle (that you wash and refill every night before bed) in it as well for middle of the night feedings (you will be STARVING if you nurse).   

4.  Set up a changing station with diapers (maybe 20 NB and 20 size 1 at each station to start; you can run out and get more when you figure out what size you'll need), wipes, and Butt Paste on all floors of your house.  We have one in the nursery and one in the family room.  

5.  Because you are having a winter baby, have 5 or 6  warm swaddling blankets and little hats clean and ready to use.  Also, stock up on footed pjs.  DD pretty much wore jammies the first few months of her life.  We hardly left the house, and she was comfy and warm.  I'm glad I didn't waste a ton of money on cute newborn sized outfits.

6.  Go to CVS and buy a sitz bath and some epsom salts.  If you have a vaginal delivery, you will need to do a sitz bath at least once, if not twice a day, for the first few weeks.  Also, stock up on witch hazel pads and maxi pads.  You will have a blast (sarcasm) dealing with aftermath.  I'm trying to block it from my mind and pretend it won't happen again in 7 months! 

7.  For DD's baths the first few months, we used a large bath sponge (shaped like a bear or turtle, from BRU), in the kitchen sink.  We placed her on it and bathed her there.  We kept a box of washcloths by the kitchen sink, and have three baby towels as well.  We used Burt's Bees all in one body/hair wash, and now use California Baby.  I think I prefer BB and will go back when CB is empty.  :) We never used baby lotion at all, except once or twice on her little feet because they were extremely dry and scaly after she was born.  The doctor told us lotion isn't necessary on babies.

That's all I can think of for now.  A lot of the "stuff" you got at your shower won't even come into play for a while.  You really don't need much the first few weeks.  

Sorry for typing a book, but I'm starting to think about all of this again now so it's fresh in my mind!  Good luck!  :) 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

babypuppylove makes great/thorough suggestions. 

I set up two "stations" in my house for nursing: I had one "My Brest Friend" nursing pillow, burp cloths, etc. stationed upstairs in the nursery (and I also used in my bedroom when hanging out/nursing in my bed) and one downstairs near the couch.  These three places were where I ended up doing most of my nursing. 

Also we (still) have a diaper changing "station" (just a basket with supplies) downstairs so that I don't have to go upstairs to the nursery to change a diaper.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

Make the car seat installation and inspection a number 1 priority

After that set up a changing area.  

Wash a few onesies and pants etc, but not all of them

Set up the bassinet or co-sleeper in your room

I'd have two sizes of diapers on hand, newborn and smalls (or newborn and size 1 if you are using sposies).  My DD was never in the newborn size, straight to smalls (1s in sposies).  

Don't worry about the pump stuff right now if there are too many other things going on, your DH can run out for that stuff should the occasion arise.  I just had the pump and the parts that came with it when DD came home, and I started pumping around 4 weeks, plenty of time. 

• Options
    I think the others gave great suggestions so I just wanted to say hello. I was JUST thinking about you the other day because I thought it must be getting very close. Wow, 4 weeks away (and it could be sooner). I know you must be excited. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your advice...this definitely helps me out alot. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"