D.C. Area Babies

Anyone deliver at Shady Grove? Frederick Memorial?

I have to decide between the two where to deliver, as I live right between the two.  I am somewhat new to the area and would love to know if you delivered at one if you liked it, or if you didnt.  We're going to do tours of both but I'd love inside info if you have it!  Thanks!

Re: Anyone deliver at Shady Grove? Frederick Memorial?

• I delivered my 2nd at Shady Grove (my first at Montgomery General).  I had a C-section so I can't attest to the labor rooms but the recovery was nice.  I liked the nurses and the facilities.  The one thing I actually didn't like was their total rooming in policy with the baby.  My DH had to be home with #1 so it was just me and baby all night and it was hard to get around after my C-section.  I couldn't call the nurses every time I had to feed the baby but it was quite difficult to do all that while recovering the C-section.  For C-sections the nursery will take them the first night only, regular deliveries they don't take them at night.  But I know lots of moms look for those rooming in policies and actually prefer them.  However I liked Montgomery General better where they took the baby at night to the nursery and I got to sleep between feedings (they still brought her back to nurse whenever she was hungry but I got a little rest).
  • thanks for your story!  I really appreciate it - this is the kind of stuff I want to know, so thanks!!  BTW your daughters are adorable!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was supposed to deliver at Shady Grove, but when my water suddenly broke at 32 weeks, the OB on call said to go to Holy Cross.  I'm glad I did.  DS and I were well taken care of.  So I don't have first hand experience with SGH, but I did the tour and was really impressed with the facilities.  It was as homey as a hospital room can be.  I did think the L&D room they showed us was kind of small.  I liked that they had a family waiting room with internet/television/fridge and I think they also have a snack room for moms if they ever need a snack.  They also allow midwives, which I think is nice.

• I also had a choice between Shady Grove and Frederick Memorial.  We are slightly closer to Shady Grove, but we also knew that Shady Grove had just completed their construction on the new delivery, mother/baby unit.  After touring Shady Grove we didn't even consider looking at Frederick.  I had a great experience there.  The private rooms were pretty nice and the nurses, for the most part, were pretty good.  I wasn't thrilled with my access to the promised lactation consultants.  They never delivered on the private visit I was promised.  But, overall, I was pleased.  I definitely plan on delivering my next one there, should we have a next one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • thank you guys!!  Much appreciated!
  • I had my DD in March at Shady Grove and would recommend it to anyone!  I had an AMAZING nurse who made my nearly 24 hours of labor (she was the second nurse I received...yes, I went through shifts!) amazing; she was more supportive than I could have hoped for, incredibly accomodating and was so incredible that I ended up calling her a few weeks afterwards to thank her again.  Two thumbs up for sure. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"